Secrets That She Keeps

I'm coming home!

The Secrets She Keeps

The usual disclaimers apply, Don’t know them, Don’t own them! Carry on...

After I pulled my last suitcase out of my tiny apartment closet trying to pack as much as I could into it, I picked up the phone dialing my brother's number. I had two step brothers but we grew up together so they were really my brothers, at least that’s how my dad would always explain it to us when we were small. I waited patiently for Cobie to pick up the phone...I ended up leaving him a voice mail, telling him I wanted him to pick me up at the airport Friday morning at 10:00 and not to tell Dad I was coming home.

It was no coincidence that I happened to get accepted to a college on the mainland, it was by choice. Of course it didn't help that they were the only ones that I applied to...

I wanted to get away from my mother. To say that I didn't get along with her would be an understatement. She was never what you would call...loving. No, she left that up to my father. She was only ever concerned with one thing, money. Either how she would spend it or why my father wasn't making enough of it.

It wasn't like we were poor, by any means. I grew up in a 4000 sq. foot house on the beach in Hawaii. My father was home every night, we had all the food and clothes we wanted. My mom got a new car just about every other year, my brothers and I got cars when we turned sixteen. We were spoiled and we all knew it but I couldn't understand what more she could want.

Living at home I really never understood how bad it was, but once I moved away I could see things more clearly. My parents argued constantly, no...more like daily. Occasionally I would still get the 1:00 am phone call from Cobie telling me they were at it again. The more I thought about it, I wondered why they stayed married so long? I guess my dad did it for me, and she did it for the money.

When my parents met, my mother Erin was twenty and my dad was twenty five and divorced with two children. My dad told me once that she was the most beautiful woman in the world then he added "Until ya piss her off" That pretty much summed up their whole relationship. When I saw my chance to get away, I ran and didn't come back very often. So, I was a little apprehensive about going back home tomorrow but I wanted to see my dad and brothers, after all it had been six months since the last visit.

That night I picked up my ringing phone, seeing it was Cobie I said "Too busy to talk to your little sister?"

He just laughs at me and says "Hey Emmy... No, I wasn't ignoring you I was out on a Bounty with dad. You know someone had to stay here and help him since you ran off..."

Yep, that was how my dad saw it, he thinks I ran off and abandoned them. I don't know if I could ever make him understand. "I didn't run off, I just...relocated is all, and planes fly both ways, so I don't want to hear it...anyway, can you pick me up or do I have to take a nasty cab back to the house." I ask him making a face at the thought of taking a cab.

"You know I'll be there, besides, I've missed you." he tells me. We say our goodbyes and I finish packing.