Secrets That She Keeps

Sneaky, sneaky

The next morning:

I was glad to be all alone this morning. My father and brother had gone out looking for some random fugitive and I didn't care to think where my mother was. I picked up the phone dialing the number listed for Premier Medical Group and worked my way through the automated system. When I reached a live operator I had to give my mother’s Social Security Number, which I knew by heart and answered her security questions. It scared me that it was that easy to get through.

Pretending to be my mother I ask to speak to someone about my Miscellaneous Procedure and ask for a breakdown of charges to be faxed to me. I twirled round and round in my dad’s office chair thinking about how fun it was to be sneaky as I waited on the fax to come through.

It only took about fifteen minutes and I heard the machine start beeping. I scooted over to the fax, waiting on the three pages that were coming through before I snatched them up and started to read. "Oh my God!" I said out loud to the empty office. Just then my dad and brother walked through the door.

"What it is?" my dad says looking at me confused.

"What... oh, nothing just looking at my bank account." I say. I hated lying to my dad, but that was the least of my concerns right now.

"Is everything okay, do you need more money?" he asks me.

"Oh... no, it’s fine daddy, I have plenty. I just wanted to see what my balance was. Thank you though." I say kissing him on the cheek and pulling Cobie by the hand and out the door with me. "I have got to talk to you. Right now." I say quietly.

He turns around and yells, "We'll be back later Dad!"

A few minutes later we've made our way out the back door and onto the beach. Cobie sits down and sighs, "Care to tell me whats going on, you almost pulled my arm out of its socket." He says laughing.

"Oh don't be so dramatic Cobie! I need your advice on something." I tell him, hesitating.

I didn't want to tell him it was about my mom because I didn't know how he would react, so I was going to lie to him. I felt terrible because we’ve never kept secrets from one another.

"I- I have this...friend and I just found out that she had this medical procedure done and she didn't tell her-- boyfriend or family about it...and I don't know if I should tell him because it could destroy their relationship. And I also found out some other stuff happened as well." I say looking over at him, hoping he was buying my story.

"Um...I don't know Em, What did she do?" he asks me. “I mean, is it something seriously life altering or what?”

I sit there for a moment just watching the waves roll in and out not knowing how to answer the question. "Sorta...but not really..." I say as I squish sand in and out of my toes. I could see the confusion on his face as he tries to figure out my dilemma.

"You can’t sorta but not really have something done Emery. Just tell me. You know you can tell me anything." he says patting me on the leg.

"I know I can, it’s just...this friend is really close to me and I don't want her business getting out to everyone."

We sit there in silence for a few minutes before I decided to say "She had an abortion, well actually she had two that were four years apart and her hus, I mean boyfriend doesn't know about it."

Cobie looks at me with a surprised look on his face. "Wow Emmy ... that’s wrong. I can't imagine. Man, if my girlfriend did that to me I would be fucking pissed!" he says.

I just shake my head, feeling some what relieved that I got it off my chest. "So what should I do? Do I tell her boyfriend or do I confront her or both? Tell me what I'm supposed to do Cobie." I say turning to look at my brother.

"I don't know Em, I think you should think about it and the right choice will come to you." he tells me with a shrug.

“My God, you have totally turned into dad!” I say, punching him in the arm for good measure.