‹ Prequel: Blurred Horizons
Status: Complete! <3

Rising Shadows

Chapter Fifteen

It was no secret that Emily stopped at nothing to finish something she’d started, especially if she was passionate about it, but Percy didn’t expect her to work that fast. Just a day later, someone came down to release him. He gave one last look at Atticus, who smiled and nodded to him before he was ushered out.

“What about you?” Percy asked, before he was pushed out of the room.

“You go on and live your life, Everett. Mine is here.”

He didn’t get to say anything else before he was pushed roughly towards the door again. Percy hadn’t seen sunlight in quite a while, and the brightness outside was almost blinding. Emily flung herself at him before his vision adjusted, but he didn’t need to see her to tightly hug her back. It was almost painful, being so close to her without being able to hold her. However, the moment was interrupted by Catarina, who was impatiently waiting with her arms crossed over her chest. Percy really didn’t want to talk to her, despite what he’d promised.

“I look terrible,” he said quickly. “I’ll shave and change, and I’ll be back to my normal self. Then we’ll talk.”

Catarina’s jaw dropped in shock as Percy took Emily’s hand and ushered her in the direction of home. He’d really been missing his cozy little nest above the lab, after spending so long in the tiny cell. Emily seemed surprised, too, looking over her shoulder at Cat and back to Percy. She yanked her hand out of Percy’s turning around and going back to her. Percy noticed her flinch and take a step back when Emily came near, which confused Percy.

“Why don’t you join us for dinner, tonight?” Emily suggested. “To thank you, for what you’ve done.”

“I’m not joining you for anything,” Cat said, a tone of disgust and slight fear in her voice. “Either of you. After I get what I was promised, I never want to see your faces again.”

“I’ll have Nora and Francine prepare something delicious,” Emily said calmly, unfazed by Cat’s rejection. “We’ll have a grand time, and I will see that Percy sets a good hour aside for you, whether he likes it or not.”

Cat just stared at her as Emily fished some money out of her handbag, offering it to her.

“You could find yourself something nice and brand new to wear, if you like.”

“I don’t want your money,” Cat grumbled.

Again, Emily seemed unfazed. Instead she gave the money to Luke.

“Why don’t you take her to the dress shop, then?” Emily suggested. “She hates you the least, after all. We’ll see you both tonight.”

Emily smiled at them both before walking back to Percy. He reached out to take her hand, but she reached up and grabbed him by the ear, pulling him along as he winced and complained.

“What did I do?!” he winced.

“You’re making things far more difficult than they have to be, Percival.”

“Are you going to drag me all the way to the lab?!”

“No,” she shrugged, tugging a little harder. “Well, I will now, since you gave me the idea.”

And she did exactly that, like a mother dragging her troublesome child home, all the way to the lab. She didn’t let go until they were upstairs, but as soon as she did, she was pulling him down again, this time so she could kiss him. It was a much deeper kiss, since they were alone this time.

“I missed you,” she whispered.

“I did, too.”

They stayed like that a little while, until Emily finally let him go so he could change into fresh clothes and shave. He tried his best to scrub all of the prison off himself, styling himself like the nobleman he’d never been, until very recently. It felt like a costume, at times. People like him were meant to look more like the ragged prisoner. However, there was no use in letting his past weigh him down. His future with Emily was going to be much brighter, and much happier. The man who looked back at him in the mirror was no stranger anymore.

Percy buttoned his sleeves as came back out into the living room, where Emily was lounging in a plush chair and flipping through one of the many books she’d given him. She grinned when she saw him, setting aside the book and pouncing on him again, kissing his freshly shaved cheek.

“There you are,” she giggled. “I was really beginning to miss the face hidden under that beard.”

“So was I,” he smirked. “Gregory was right, I might be part gorrilla considering how out of control that got.”

“Gregory?” Emily frowned, stepping away to look at him. “You mean Gregory Harrington? He visited you?”

“Uh, yes,” Percy said awkwardly, forgetting that he didn’t intend on telling Emily about that encounter. “Nothing happened. Nothing serious.”

“He dared to come and see you?” Emily repeated, her cheeks turning a little red as she started to get angry.

“Em, calm down,” Percy said softly, putting his hands on either side of her face and tilting her head up to look at him. “It was fine. Nothing happened.”

“I want him wiped off the face of this Earth,” she mumbled.

“Of course,” Percy promised her, kissing her forehead. “Anything you want, I’ll make sure you have it.”

“What?” she asked, a little confused.

“Don’t worry about him,” Percy told her, putting his coat on and handing hers to her. “Come on, we have a dinner party to go to. You’re forcing everyone to attend, so you should be there, too.”

She slowly put on her coat and took his arm, and they both quietly savored the trip back to Emily’s house. That evening, Luke brought Catarina over. He looked a little exhausted, like it was a struggle to get her there. It seemed he’d finally convinced her to take the money and buy herself a velvet, midnight blue gown and a set of pearls to match. She might have looked pretty, if she didn’t look so annoyed.

It was by far the most awkward dinner Percy sat through, quietly picking tomatoes from the dinner in front of him and nudging them aside with his fork, trying to ignore Cat’s blue eyes burning holes through him. He felt Emily kick him gently under the table, but when he looked up, he couldn’t look at Cat. She was too scary.

“Still don’t eat tomatoes, do we?” she finally said, eyeing the small pile Percy had going.

“No,” he mumbled.

“He was always like this, you know,” Cat said casually. “Even when tomatoes were the only thing available to eat, he’d much rather have gone hungry than touch it. And my poor aunt had to put up with him, and his even more picky brother.”

“Colt ate tomatoes,” Percy frowned.

“Yes, but he didn’t eat anything that was the color green, if you remember,” Cat pointed out.

“That’s right,” Percy remembered, chuckling lightly. “You forced him to eat peas while blindfolded once, and I was the one who was beaten up for it.”

Cat cracked a smile, but they both seemed to realize they were smiling at the same time, quickly wiping the look off their faces and looking away from each other again. Emily looked between them, then stood up from the table.

“I should go see how Francine is faring with desserts. She may need some help,” she announced. “Come along, Luke.”

“I don’t know how to cook,” he grumbled.

The look Emily gave him next made him shoot up out of his seat, following her into the kitchen. They closed the dining room door and left Cat and Percy alone, to sit in awkward silence as they both picked at their food.

“She’s definitely not the calm and quiet type,” Cat finally said.

“No, not at all,” Percy shook his head. “That’s what I love about her.”

“You really love her, don’t you?” Cat asked him. “How did someone like you meet someone like her in the first place, let alone get this close?”

“It’s a very, very long story,” Percy sighed. “It would take hours for me to explain everything.”

“Then maybe you can explain something else to me,” she suggested, setting down her fork and locking her gaze on him.

“I know, I know,” Percy said reluctantly. “I don’t know what I thought. I was under pressure, and he was waiting, and I thought I was helping you.”

“Helping me?” Cat repeated in shock. “I’ve spent the last ten years working every minute, without rest. My stepfather won’t allow me to return to my family, even if MacDuff does."

"I was fourteen," Percy argued. "You're the one who made it worse the next time you saw me."

"Made it worse?"

"You got annoyed and angry and threw a tantrum... And you're the one who started this stupid fight."

"Do you even remember what the fight is about?" Cat asked.

Percy was about to snap at her, but no words came out. He didn't remember. All he really remembered was going to visit Cat while he was still with Colt, and her throwing a fit. Rather than trying to reason with her, he was arguing right back, making it worse. They'd left each other with the same bitter taste in their mouths.

"I've done my part," Cat added. "Why are you too stubborn to do yours?"

"I'm sorry," Percy sighed. "For what I've put you through. I thought you were done with me, but what you did for me today... I can't express how lucky I feel. I hope you can forgive me. I'd like to be your friend again, Cat."

She finally smiled, reaching her hand over the table to Percy.

"That's all I needed to hear."

Percy smiled back and gave her hand a firm shake, confirming the truce.

"So where are you going next, back to France?" Percy asked her.

"No," she sighed. "Your fiancé promised she'd get me out of the contract. She's a little frightening, but I know she doesn't lie."

"You'll be staying here, then?"

"Luke said he always has a room available for me," she said, blushing lightly. "He's been very helpful. He'd like to help me get on my own feet."

"Does he, now?" Percy said flatly, knowing exactly which way Luke was headed.

His thoughts were interrupted by Emily returning with Luke carrying a tray, looking annoyed.

"Cake!" Emily announced,

The rest of the evening went surprisingly smoothly, without Percy and Cat tearing at each other's throats. She still kept her distance from Emily and clung to Luke a bit, but when she was saying goodbye at the end of the night, she stiffly smile and nod to Emily, which was progress. Percy was about to go with them, but Emily pulled him back.

"Where do you think you're going?" she demanded.

"Home," he said. "You've had a long day, you were telling me how tired you are."

"You're spending the night here, Percy," she rolled her eyes, closing the door so he couldn't leave.

"We're not married yet," he pointed out. "Isn't that a little improper."

"Percy, I really don't want to talk about what is and isn't improper," she sighed. "I just want you to hold me right now. And don't you dare let go. Not for a long, long time."

"Gladly," he grinned, picking her up and carrying her up the stairs.

She was eager to kiss him all over his face once they were alone, surprising him when she went as far as to tug his shirt off and attempted to undress him, until he stopped her.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"You know... The thing...," she said.

"You've been waiting this long, now you don't want to wait until you're married?" Percy laughed, laying her down on the bed.

"Well what's the difference between now and a couple months from now?" she pouted.

"The difference is that because you wanted to wait, I waited too," Percy explained, laying down on his stomach next to her. "I'm not letting you do anything you'll later regret, just because you don't know what to do with your excitement."

"I don't regret you at all," she said.

"I know," Percy chuckled, rolling closer to kiss her forehead. "I love you. Go to sleep."

She sighed and nodded, cuddling up to him and laying her head on his bare chest, one hand playing with his hair until she fell asleep and went still. Percy watched her sleep for a long time, lost in thought. He was just starting to drift to sleep when Emily started to squirm, her face twisted into a fearful expression.

Percy gently put a hand on her forehead and grabbed her hand, but she stiffened and jerked away from him, whimpering. Concerned, he shook her gently until she woke up with a start. She looked panicked, a bit of sweat forming on her forehead as she looked around the room, and then at Percy.

"Emily, you're fine, you were dreaming," he said softly, brushing her hair out of her face.

"Dreaming?" she whispered. "It was so real... He was grabbing me..."

"Who?"

"I don't know, I couldn't see his face."

"Do you want to talk about it?" Percy asked.

She shook her head, burying her face into his shoulder and going back to sleep, without a word.