‹ Prequel: Blurred Horizons
Status: Complete! <3

Rising Shadows

Chapter Thirty-Two

Emily watched her family laughing and sipping champagne together and felt a sense of contentment and love so strong it seemed to radiate through her bones. She felt guilty for needing to disrupt the laid back, happy atmosphere in the room, but Scarlett would be leaving again soon and Emily felt there was something she needed to know first. The merriment lasted well into the evening, and Emily waited until Henry and Teddy left with their families before steeling her nerve and speaking up.

"Now that it's just us, I have something to tell you," Emily said. "And it's going to sound strange but I promise it's the truth."

Edmund and Bartimus were looking at her quizzically and Scarlett had her eyebrows raised. Tessa just watched her curiously.

"There's a reason Gigi likes playing in the library," Emily began. "And it's not the portrait of Veronica."

"Pretty lady!" Gigi said, squirming slightly in her seat beside Emily.

"Yes, Gigi, Aunt Emily is getting there," she muttered. She realized Gigi was staring toward the fireplace at the head of the room; and then realized with a jolt that she could see a smiling Veronica standing there, waiting patiently for Emily to get on with it. Emily didn't know why she could see her without her glasses on, but she shook herself when Ben nudged her.

"Why does Gigi like the library?" he prompted.

Emily took a deep breath. "Because Veronica is still here," she blurted. "She stayed all this time, to watch over the two of you. Gigi can see her, and Veronica plays with her. She's standing over there right now, laughing at the look on your face. I know it sounds crazy, but I can show you."

Emily finally paused to breathe again, nearly tripping over her words. Everyone was staring at her like they feared for her sanity, except for Gigi; who scrambled off the couch and ran to where Veronica was standing.

"See?" Emily said. She reached into a small pocket on her skirt and pulled out the glasses. Her hand trembled slightly as she handed them to Edmund, whose brow furrowed in confusion.

"Put them on," Emily explained. "Then you'll be able to see her."

Scarlett moved to stand beside her father, one hand on his shoulder and the other pressed against her lips as she waited to see what he would say. Edmund put them on reluctantly and everyone else watched with baited breath. It was a good thing Edmund was sitting down, because otherwise Emily thought he might have collapsed.

"Hello, Edmund," Veronica said, brown eyes crinkling.

"Veronica?" he gasped. "You're really here?"

"Of course. Did you really think I'd leave you all alone?"

"You can see her?" Scarlett whispered. Bartimus and Tessa were watching him with wide eyes; Tessa's eyes were gleaming with unshed tears. She had been Veronica's best friend since they were children. Ben went to stand with Scarlett to steady her when she looked like she might swoon.

"Percy, I think we should give them some privacy," Emily murmured. He nodded and they quietly left the room, Emily waving at Ben to let him know they were leaving. Percy laced his fingers through hers as they stood out on Edmund's porch and Emily laid her head against his shoulder. They just stood that way for a while, and Emily started to drift off until the front door opened and she jumped. She would have toppled over into the rose bushes flanking the walkway if Percy hadn't caught her, his lips quirking up in amusement. Emily looked up to see Scarlett, who startled her by suddenly yanking Emily into a tight embrace.

"Thank you," she whispered fiercely. Emily hugged her back as Ben came quietly out of the house with Gigi sound asleep in his arms.

"She's not happy about leaving Aunt Emmie and Uncle Perc," he said quietly, trying not to laugh. "Don't wake her up or we'll never get her out of here."

Emily laughed softly, planting a kiss on his cheek. Ben studied her for a moment, a slight smile on his face.

"I want you to know I'm really proud of you, Em. You're so grown up and wonderful." He glanced over to where Scarlett was giving Percy a final goodbye as well, since Emily had explained everything to her and Percy had apologized rather profusely.

"He makes you happy," Ben said. "I can tell because you sort of seem to glow a little when you're with him. You're going to have an amazing life. And I couldn't be happier for you."

Emily smiled and blinked away a few stray tears before kissing his cheek again.

"Don't stay away too long," she instructed.

"We'll be in touch," he promised. He nodded at Percy as he came up beside Emily.

"Take care of her, Everett. I'm trusting she's in good hands."

Percy saluted and Emily giggled while Scarlett rolled her eyes. Scarlett and Ben would be leaving early in the morning to return to the ship unnoticed and Emily and Percy were leaving later in the day to depart for their long overdue honeymoon. Emily felt a little sad as they walked home; she always missed Ben, Scarlett and Gigi fiercely when they went away. But Ben was right; Percy made her happy and they were going to have a fantastic life together. It was time for Emily to start this new chapter in her life, so she wasn't going to dwell on her sadness.

"You know," she remarked teasingly to Percy when they got home, "Nora and Francine are already off for the night and I'm feeling much better."

"What's your p-"

Percy's question was cut off as Emily pulled him down roughly by his collar and kissed him.

.::.::.::.

The next day they bid farewell to Luke and Cat; whom Emily had also explained Percy's behavior to. They were quick to forgive him, especially when he was lurking behind Emily looking like a kicked puppy in the rain.

"So, you defeated both a demon and a serial killer," Cat said dryly. "Why am I not surprised? You know Percy, I'm starting to think this girl may be a bit too much for you to handle."

"He needs her," Luke said, smirking. "She can protect him from all the things that go bump in the night."

"All right, knock it off," Percy scowled. Emily giggled softly and linked her arm with his.

"Don't listen to them, Percy," she said reassuringly. "You're plenty scary enough to keep the bump in the night things away."

"Go on your honeymoon," Cat laughed, shooing them toward the door. "Oh, Emily. I meant to ask you; how did you dissolve my contract with MacDuff? I keep expecting someone to show up to try and drag me back to France but no one has."

"Oh! Well, I have another inventor friend who lives in France. They're a friend of Lionel's, not exactly a respectable inventor. He went to see the show and while it was going on MacDuff's personal tent caught fire, and that's apparently where he kept all his contracts. Most unfortunate."

Emily smirked slightly at the stunned looks on their faces, tugging on Percy's arm.

"Come on, Percy we don't want to be late," she said.

"You hired a man to burn down a tent?" Percy asked as she ushered him down the street toward the harbor.

"Well Percy I did promise Cat I'd get her out of her contract."

Percy shook his head, laughing. "I think hanging around a pirate crew was a bad influence on you, Mrs. Everett."

"I loved every minute of it," Emily replied, eyes twinkling. Soon enough they were settled in on the ship that would take them to Spain. Percy wouldn't let Emily help lug any of their trunks to their room or put them away so Emily sat on the bed and watched him with loving aggravation.

"Percy I thought we'd established that I'm not made of porcelain," she said.

"The trunks are heavy and your wrist isn't fully healed yet."

"Well, I do enjoy watching you haul heavy things around," she admitted and Percy shot her an amused smirk. When he finished putting the last trunk away he came and sat beside her, pulling her gently into his lap and kissing her forehead.

"I'm so happy we're finally going," he murmured.

"So am I." Emily brushed his hair back and stared up at him. "I love you, Percy."

"I love you too."

The ship they were on was a sleek, fast-paced luxury passenger ship that moved smoothly across the water. The next morning Emily shrugged into one of Percy's shirts and went to stand on the small balcony and watch the sun come up.

"What's wrong?" Percy mumbled sleepily.

"Nothing," Emily said, smiling. "Go back to sleep."

Instead Percy rolled out of bed and came to stand behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist. She leaned against him.

"It's just such a perfect moment," she murmured. "I love sunrises. They seem so...hopeful. They promise amazing things to come."

They stood in silence for a few minutes before Percy planted a kiss on the nape of her neck. "Don't get me wrong, I like looking at sunrises as much as the next guy, but it's much too early to be out of bed yet."

Emily giggled as he swept her off her feet and carried her back to bed. She clung to his neck and kissed him, and felt in that moment that the rest of her life was going to be just as perfect as the sun rising over the horizon.