The Way of California

When Roommates Go Wrong

As soon as Cirrus Gates set foot on campus she began to relax and feel her true self begin to emerge again. Most people hated going back to school but for Cirrus it was what she looked forward to the most. It wasn’t the classes, she could easily go without having to take useless math or science classes daily, but what she really loved was the people and the power that she had over them. You could describe Cirrus as the typical mean firl, a title that she didn’t mind. She liked feeling like a boss with all her little minions following every word she said to the tee.

Usually every year Cirrus arrived with her best friend Hayden Whaller, the only person she didn’t mind having as an equal or letting take charge now and then. With Hayden by her side, the two ruled the school with trouble following them like shadows. They always got into so much trouble and for that reason Cirrus ended up getting suspended the final week of school last semester and hadn’t been able to see her partner in crime since. Hayden had spent the entire summer in a villa in France with her boyfriend so she hadn’t even spoken to her since the previous May. Therefore Cirrus was also happy to be back and reunite with her other half.

Her and Hayden had grown-up together because both their families had houses neighboring each other in the Hamptons, New York. They were the only two that were around the same age in the area so they instantly bonded. They would spend every summer together until Hayden turned six and her parents divorced. After that Hayden’s father took over the Hampton house and for some reason she left with her mom and didn’t come visit at all. They kept in touch through e-mail even though they were in different states and then, again for an unknown reason, at 12, Hayden moved in with her father in the Hamptons so the two girls were again reunited. After that they were inseparable and did everything together, going to the same prep-school and on the same vacations and even sharing each others clothes, something that Cirrus would never allow anyone else to do. This was actually the first summer that she hadn’t spent with Hayden since she moved and the fact that they didn’t even talk at all seemed a little off to Cirrus but she figured Hayden was too busy with her boyfriend.

“Well well well, look who’s back. Weren’t you expelled indefinitely?” Cirrus grinned innocently at skeezy Fischer Evans, the renowned school flirt.

“Oh Evans don’t be so dramatic! They would never do that to me. My father basically owns this school.” Her violet almost black eyes shimmered in the sunlight.

“Good because then I would have to track you down baby.” He whispered seductively in her ear.

“Knock it off Ev!” She pushed him away and he dramatically fell to the ground. He stayed there smiling as she walked away, her kitten heels clicking her beat on the hot pavement.
Cirrus knew that she was basically perfection in a female body. Her only problem, by some people's standards, would be her bitchy attitude but obviously she didn’t care about that. She was happy being who she was and that feeling of people cowering because of her.

She got to her dorm and walked straight to the elevator. Her bags had already been brought to her room by the movers hours earlier but she wasn’t about to walk the stairs in her brand new Rebecca Minkoff’s.

She reached her room, 229 and half expected to see Hayden already arrived and unpacked even though the girl was known to always be fashionably late. Instead she was startled to see Skye Jinsig and her things in her room.

“Surprise!” Skye jumped up as from sorting things on her bed as soon as she noticed Cirrus in the doorway.

“Yeah really.” Cirrus grumbled. Her, Hayden, Skye and Stella Kingston were the four most well-known girls on campus. Everybody wanted to befriend the group of girls partly because they came from such wealthy families and could have everything and anything they wanted and partly because they all seemed so perfect and confident. Skye was too upbeat and nice for Cirrus sometimes but she usually didn’t mind her, however she never envisioned herself having to live with the girl.

“I was very surprised to have you as my roommate since you and Hayden are always together, but I think this year she took a single on the first floor or something. You two didn’t have an arguement or anything, right?” The small girl asked almost as if she was reading Cirrus’s mind.

“No!” Cirrus boomed not initially meaning to be irritated but letting the feeling take control of her. Her and Hayden had never had a fight, even when they were children. They always got along no matter what. It was preposterous to think that was the reason. It was probably just because she wanted to have more alone time with her boyfriend and a single room was the perfect situation for that. She was probably thinking that Cirrus would be against getting sexiled, which was somewhat true but for Hayden she would have made an exception every once and awhile. She was just annoyed that the girl didn’t give her any warning or anything.

“Oh okay sorry.” Skye backed down instantly. She was very submissive which was one of the qualities Cirrus liked best in her. Though no one really wanted to fight with Cirrus anyways especially Skye being her new roommate. She really didn’t want to get off on the wrong foot already. Plus if Cirrus wasn’t scary enough with her violet almost black eyes, wild black hair and unpredictable mood-swings, she was six feet tall, skinny and probably stronger than some of the guys at the school. She was someone to be scared of and envious of at the same time.

Skye on the other hand definitely had a reason to fear this giant. She was a dancer and had strong legs but weak arms. She stood in at only 5’3 and for this reason never stood directly next to a towering Cirrus. She was basically the opposite of the dark girl. She had green homey eyes, pink chubby cheeks and reddish brown curls that sprung down to her lower shoulder blades.

“So Stella wants us all to meet up at Chez Rosette for some welcome back drinks. I think she’s bringing her new roommate, a new girl.” Even though the girls were underage, Stella’s cousin owned the restaurant and and would always let the girls drink whatever they wanted, whenever. He even would go and buy them bottles of booze for weekend parties if they asked nicely.

“Oh ha ha what fun.” Cirrus growled. She was still annoyed with the whole Hayden situation.

“Gee girl what’s your problem, you PMSing or something.” Skye jokingly asked and immediately regretted it as Cirrus erupted.

“Get the fuck out!” She screamed. Seriously she didn’t know herself why she was so miffed. Maybe it was because of Hayden, or maybe it was how annoying Skye already was, or even her fear that this new school year wouldn’t be turning out how she expected.

“Um okay. See you at the restaurant...maybe..” Skye cowered out the door.

“Don’t count on it.” She growled through her teeth.

Skye ran out the door as fast as possible terrified by the extreme version of Cirrus that she was currently seeing. She decided she should probably warn the others that Cirrus was already on a rampage.

TO: DDavis@weston.edu;FEvans@weston.edu; BKingston@weston.edu; SKingston@weston.edu; BNickerson@weston.edu; HWhaller@weston.edu

FROM: SJinsig@weston.edu

SUBJECT: BEWARE

BEWARE OF CIRRUS! The storm has hit and it’s worse this year than ever before. I don’t know what summer did to this girl but Whaller you’re lucky you transferred rooms! Peace out! See you all at Chez Rosette (luckily Cirrus is skipping out).
-Skye