Status: Updates every Thursday. Let me know what you think in the comments.

Home, Sweet Home

Chapter Twenty-three

I woke up to the smell of bacon and fresh coffee. I could hear the sizzling of the bacon in the pan and the coffee brewing. Well isn’t this a nice way to wake up. I opened my eyes and saw Lily in the kitchen cooking away.

“What are you doing?” I asked from the couch.

“What’s it look like, I’m cooking.” Lily replied sarcastically.

“Yeah but why? You never cook unless it’s pancakes or waffles.” I said getting up and going over to check out what else she could be cooking.

“Bacon sounded really good so I decided to cook some.” said Lily.

I shrugged my shoulders and headed for the bathroom. I wanted a proper shower. I climbed in and tried to remember why I had a feeling of dread about today. Then I remembered the date. August 18th.

I thought about just locking myself in the bathroom for the day but bacon. As if on cue my stomach rumbled. I finished up in the shower, got dressed in all black of course, and made my way back out to the kitchen. Lily was already eating by the time I got out there.

I made a plate and we ate in silence and when we were done we headed over to the couch. My phone was on the cushion and when I picked it up I noticed it was dead so I went and plugged it in. No way was I turning that thing on until tomorrow.

Lily and I hung out around the house just relaxing and not once did she mention about what day it was. She knew how I felt but that never stopped her before.

Around noon Lily got a call from my parents. They complained that my phone was off and that they had been trying to get a hold of me. I refused to talk to them so Lily told them I was in the shower.

“They want you to come to dinner tonight.” said Lily after hanging up the phone.

I sighed dramatically and slid down the couch and on to the floor with Lily laughing at me the whole time. I really didn’t want to have to leave the house today.

“Can I just lock myself in your bathroom and claim to have food poisoning from your bacon this morning?” I asked from the floor.

“Sammie it’s your B-”

“LALALALALALALA!” I said plugging my ears and yelling loudly so I couldn’t hear her.

She gave me her mom look.

“We are going to your parents for dinner even if I have to drag you there and believe me, I will drag you if I have to.” said Lily with her hands on her hips.

I stuck my tongue out at her.

I stayed in my position on the floor for a few more minutes before I decided I was bored of watching TV. I went into Lily’s room and grabbed my headphones and my computer. Like I said before, there is no way I was turning my phone on today.

I plugged my headphones in, turned my music on, and closed my eyes. The world around me was drowned out and this lyrics overtook me. I started to sing along.

asdfghjkl


Lily POV

I noticed Sammie go into my room. I had a feeling she was going to listen to music so I waited a few minutes then grabbed my phone. I made my way into my room where Sammie was laying on my bed with her eyes closed.

By the way her foot was moving, I could tell a song had just started. A thought popped into my head. I should record this and send it to Dan.

I waited for a song I didn’t recognize, meaning Dan would probably know it, then I started recording her.

Once the song was done I sent it to Dan then went back to the couch. My phone vibrated a few minutes after signaling I had a text. I was surprised to see that it was from Dan.

“Please don’t send me anymore videos.”

Why would he not want the videos anymore?

“Why?” I asked.

“I don’t want them.”

“WHY?”
I asked again.

“I can’t tell you. Just don’t send them.”

This didn’t seem like the same guy I had been texting recently or the same guy in his videos.

“Is something wrong? Do you wanna talk about it?” I asked.

I didn’t know if he would want to talk to me but I thought I would at least try.

“It’s nothing Sam and I just need space from each other.”

Space… what does he mean space? I know she didn’t tell him.

“You’re in two different countries. How much more space do you need?”

“Just please stop sending me videos.”

“Do you know what today is?”

“August 18th.”

“Do you know what’s special about this day?”

“No…”

“Go on to Sam’s Facebook. You’ll see what today is.”


What in hell is going on with Dan? Is he on his freaking man period or something!? I figured the only way I would know is if I texted Phil and that’s exactly what I did.

“Hey.”

“Hi Lily, no funny name this time?”

“No, what’s going on with Dan. If it’s something about him liking her, I won’t say anything.”


It took a few minutes for him to text back. It was almost like he was contemplating what to say.

“A few days ago, I found Dan sleeping in Sam’s room. I told him he was starting to act weird and that he just needed to tell her. Ever since then, he’s locked himself in his room. The most I got out of him was that I was right and he was being really weird and that he was going to put it to a stop. By that I think he’s trying to push her away. He doesn’t want to even talk to her.”

I sat thinking for a little bit. He can’t push her away. Our goal is to finally get them together. Then the idea struck me.

“I have the perfect idea. I’ll tell you the details tomorrow.”

With that I put my phone down. I could feel the smirk spread across my face. Not long after my phone started to vibrate.

“Hello?” I said answering my phone.

“Hey. Everything is set up for the party.” said Ian. “It’s just us and my parents that are coming. Oh and Gloria. It sucks that all of Sammie’s friends live in a different country.”

“Yeah I know. It would make it more special. Not that Sammie will appreciate this. If anything I should be fearing for my life. When she finds out she’s gonna be so mad at us.” I said.

“Okay remember meeting at six at my parents. The living room and the dining room are the only places decorated. So she won’t know it’s a party until she comes in the house.” said Ian.

“Okay well we should probably start getting ready. See you there.” I said.

“Bye.”

I could tell Ian was smiling on the other end. He was so much happier now that Sammie is back. I hope he doesn’t go back to how he was before when she leaves again.

I made my way back to my room where Sammie had fallen asleep on the bed with her headphones still on. I went to go wake her up.

asdfghjkl


Sam POV

“Wakeup sleepy head.” said Lily shaking me awake.

“How long was I asleep? Is it the next day yet?”

I really hope I slept that long.

“No you’ve only ben asleep for like fifteen minutes.” said Lily.

“Ugh.” I said rolling over and falling off the bed.

“Stop being dramatic. You might hurt yourself.” said Lily though a laugh. “I’m going to go get in the shower. I have your outfit in the garment bag in the closet. The black one.”

Lily turned and closed herself in the bathroom. I waited until I heard the water running to get up off the floor.

I went over to the closet and looked for the black bag Lily had mentioned. When I found it I pulled it out and laid it on the bed. I slowly unzipped it. What I saw inside made my eyes pop out of my head.

I picked up the hanger to see a black dress with long sleeves. The entire thing was lace and it looked like there was a built in slip so you didn’t show your bits to everyone. I loved it and I hadn’t even put it on yet.

So maybe today isn’t going to be so bad. At least I can wear all black.

I put the dress on and fell in love with it even more. The dress was very fitting which made me look curvier that I really was. I was correct in thinking that there was a built in slip. You could see the black line where it cut off at my bust and showed the skin of my chest and shoulders.

In the back, the slip didn’t start until the top of my butt meaning my entire back was semi exposed. The end of the dress hit me about mid-thigh. I looked good in this dress. I felt… attractive in this dress but I had a feeling my parents wouldn’t like it.

I took the dress off and put it back into the closet. I got redressed and decided to wait for Lily to get out of the shower before getting dressed. If that dress was the one she was giving me, I don’t think I wanted to go to this dinner after all.

I figured I could start on my makeup while I waited. I had just finished bronzer and my eyebrows when Lily came out of the shower.

“Why aren’t you dressed yet?” she said sound exasperated.

“I couldn’t find the bag you were talking about.” I said now looking up from the blushes I had to choose from.

“Here.” She said putting a black bag on the bed.

I finished picking out my blush and then went to go see what was in the bag. When I saw it my stomach dropped. It was the same bag I had just pulled out. I unzipped it and found… a completely different dress.

It was black but it looked like it was made of cotton. I picked it up and saw that it was more of a summer dress. I changed and then looked at myself in the mirror.

It had one inch wide straps that crossed in the back and a sweetheart neckline which made my boobs look great if I do say so myself. The bust was quite fitted but not too tight and stopped once it touched my ribs where there was a four inch wide piece of fabric on each side that I assumed you would tie into a bow. Lily tied it so tight that I had some difficulty breathing but I could deal with it.

The dress hung loosely until it hit mid-waist where the shirt floated outward. There was another layer under that making the skirt look fuller. I liked this dress much better than the sexy one I found in Lily’s closet.

“So I’m assuming I get to keep this one too?” I said posing it as a question.

“Yeah Ian bought it for you. I bought you another on but you’ll have to take it home with you before you can wear it. Maybe wear it for Dan.” said Lily wiggling her eyebrows.

She then walked over to her closet and pulled out the bag that was identical to the on this dress had come out of and handing it to me.

I opened it and it was the sexy dress.

“Lily, if I wear this dress I might give Dan a heart attack. Phil too. This is a sexy dress…” I said acting surprised like I hadn’t already seen it.

“Well then maybe you can use it on someone else. You’re always talking about getting over the crush you have on Dan. Get a boyfriend or something.” said Lily.

I just snorted. Guys don’t like me. Especially when I’m around Lily. They are always looking at her.

I put the dress in my case and finished getting ready. Can’t leave the house without doing my eyes. I went for a natural eye shadow and dramatic lashes.

Lily and I were both ready around six. We were running a little late but that was because she insisted that she curl my hair before we leave. That and she wanted me to do her makeup but she couldn’t decide how she wanted it. And she complains that I take forever doing my makeup.

Lily drove like a maniac down the back roads to get to my parents. If we were on any main roads we would have so been pulled over by the cops.

After giving me a heart attack at the way she was driving she finally pulled into my parent’s drive way. I was so glad to get out of that car but once again I dreaded going inside. Lily got behind me and pushed me toward the house. I didn’t put up much resistance knowing she would get me in there one way or another and I didn’t want to know what the other would be.

Lily walked into the house like she owed the place while I on the other hand tried to stall as much as possible going into the house. I tried taking baby steps but Lily just grabbed my hand and pulled me into the entryway.

“I hate you.” I said.

“I know, I love you too.” said Lily smirking at me.

We took off our jackets and hung them on the rack.

“Did I already tell you I hate you?” I asked sarcastically.

“Um I think so. Yeah I’m pretty sure you did.” She replied.

“Well I hate you again.” I said glaring at her.

“Well you’re about to hate me even more.”

My stomach dropped when she said those words and she pulled me towards the living room. She dragged me through the door way and I took in my surroundings. There were my parents, Ian, Gloria and her granddaughter with her husband and step-daughter. I had a moment where I thought I was going to puke.

“Happy Birthday!” They all yelled at the same time.

I turned to Lily and said I hate you one more time before plastering a fake smile on my face and pretending to be happy that I was one year closer to death.

Yay I’m a twenty-four year old college dropout with a dead end job and no clue what I want to do with my life. Insert existential crisis here.

“My little girl is all grown up. Honestly I figured you’d be married by now but oh well.” said my Mom pulling me into a hug.

I guess now instead of college she’s going to push marriage on me now. So not looking forward to that.

“Please don’t ever get married. I don’t think I could handle that yet.” said my Dad wrapping me into another hug.

“Don’t worry Dad, you don’t have to worry about that for a long time. I don’t even know who I would marry.” I said.

When I pulled away Lily shoved a cup into my hand.

“This better have alcohol in it.” I said under my breath.

I knew Lily heard it because she nodded. I was just taking a drink when Gloria spoke.

“What about that Dan you told me about. He’s very good looking. You two would make very cute babies.”

Sprite and vodka came out of my nose. Do you know how painful that is?! Carbonated alcohol coming out of your nostrils. It is not a fun time.

Lily and Ian laughed at my expense. My parents looked confused at their reaction and Sophie and her husband just looked confused in general. Clare on the other hand looked up from her phone at a familiar name.

“Uh Gloria, I-I…” I said my eyes going to Clare and back.

Her eyes followed mine and then she nodded.

We went about talking, Sophie started asking me questions about London. As soon as it was mentioned, Clare’s attention turned to me and Sophie.

“So what do you do for fun?” Sophie asked.

“Uh my friends and I go to the movies a lot. Other than that we hang out with some of your other friends. We go to Brighton as often as we can. We have some friends there. I try to go there once a month. Zoe is really the only girl I hang out with on a regular basis.” I said almost instantly regretting saying her name.

“And where is Brighton?” Sophie asked.

“Um it’s on the coast. It’s quite similar to here. Cold water.” I said taking a sip of my drink.

I turned away and walked over to Lily.

“I hate you.” I whispered in her ear.

She turned to me and beamed from ear to ear. Glad someone’s having fun.

Everyone wandered into the dining room as my mom started to get dinner ready. I lingered behind and sat at the piano bench. I lifted the fall board and fingered the keys.

“Have you not played recently?” I heard Gloria say behind me making me jump.

“What makes you think that?” I asked.

“You hesitate.” She stated.

I nodded.

“Are you out of practice playing in general or in front of people?” she asked.

I was too ashamed to tell her that there was a piano in the apartment I live in and I’ve only ever played it once. Not counting the time I let Dan attempt to teach me to play. I hug my head.

“Both. I’ve played only a handful of times since moving to London. I didn’t have a piano in my apartment but the place where I’m living now has one but it’s so out of tune it’s difficult to play.” I said.

“If my memory serves me right, that never stopped you before. What else is going on?” said Gloria.

She was on to me.

“Dan and Phil don’t know I can play. Dan asked me once and I told him I couldn’t. He tried to teach me. He’s not half bad but he’s not that good either and he doesn’t really have confidence in his playing. He has potential.” I said.

“You like this boy, don’t you?” said Gloria with a knowing smile.

“Yes but he doesn’t like me back.” I said not looking up.

“I’d like to meet him. You seem even more taken with this boy and you ever did with Adam, and you intended to marry that boy at one point.” She said.

“I also thought I would be in New York at Julliard but that never happened either.” I couldn’t look her in the eyes. She had always been a proactive person when it came to getting something she wanted. I was like that as well until I bombed the audition.

While my dream being crushed may have changed me, I sometimes think I’m still that same girl that was willing to do almost anything to get what she wanted, but at the same time, I feel like I’m a better person now. I’ve come to terms with the fact that my dream being crushed caused me to see what really mattered, enjoying the life I life and not taking anything for granted. To be content with the hand I’m given.

If that means that I have to live for the rest of my life with a crush on Dan that I can’t escape, then I’m going to embrace it. I don’t want to but if it’s the hand I’m dealt, I have to play it. Since when did I start using gambling terms?

“Darling, sometimes life adds in notes to the song you play without telling you. You have to stumble upon them. In the end, it’s what you do when you come across a note that has been written in. Do you stumble across it or do you go with the flow like it was always there? Sometimes the most beautiful songs come from the most unexpected notes.” said Gloria.

Now it was going to take me some time to decipher all of her riddle but I’m pretty sure I got the gist of it. Play the notes as they come to you.

“Come on. Your mother made quite the feast and I do believe it’s all of your favorites.” said Gloria standing and holding out her hand.

I took it and stood with her. When I did she wrapped her arm around my shoulders. This was the first time that I realized she and I were the same height.

The rest of the night went like any other family dinner would have. Not once was the word Birthday uttered for the rest for the night. I wasn’t much for presents so Lily had them all in the back of her car and when we got home she forced me to open them all before she would let me go to bed.

My parents just gave me money. Way too much money. They wanted me to promise that I would come back sooner than next summer. I told them that I wasn’t coming back until the snow was gone when I called to thank them.

Gloria and her family got me a charm bracelet with musical notes, little pages that looked like sheet music and it had an array of instruments. My favorite by far was the tiny black piano. I was going to have to thank her the net time I saw her.

Ian and Lily had both gotten me a dress. On top of that they handed me a receipt to Ben’s music store. Ian and lily both spent a hundred and Ben spent the rest. They didn’t tell me what it was for but Lily just told me that it would be waiting in London for me when I arrived home.

While I hate my birthday because I get too much attention, this has been by far the best August 18th I’ve ever had but there were a couple things missing that would have made this night perfect. Dan and Phil.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading.
Don't forget to leave some comments.