Alive

Square

“E-Excuse me?”
“I believe you heard me the first time.”

He continued to stare at me, still no change in his facial features.

“I-I don’t understand—”
“Luke!” – Mrs. Robertson was outside again – “You’ve been out here for twenty minutes now! Come inside and eat! And bring your friend with you!”

“Friend”? He literally just walked up to me two minutes ago!

And that was when he smirked.

“Shall we, Luke?”

I still sat where I was, trying to figure out how to politely tell him “No” and to “Go away”.

However, I wasn’t prepared when he grabbed my arm and pulled me along with him inside the diner.

I guess I can’t back out now, can I?

So we sat in the booth near the back of the diner – I picked up the menu and held it up to my face, pretending that I was reading it.

He didn’t take his eyes off of me.

“Alright, boys. What are we having—Tyler? I didn’t know you and Luke were friends.”

My eyes widened slightly.

“Y-You know him?” I asked, but no one seemed to hear me as they carried on with their conversation.

“Are you staying out of trouble for once?”
“Maybe~” – the smirk from earlier was replaced with an innocent smile.

“Figures. Just don’t go dragging Luke into trouble with you…”
“I would never.” The innocent smile didn’t leave his face.

“So, the usual for both of you?”
“Yes, ma’am.”

I nodded, wondering why I still hid behind the menu – I could tell that Mrs. Robertson was wondering why, too.

“Alright, I’ll be back with your drinks.”

And she was gone.

“How long are you gonna hide behind that?”

I finally gave up and placed it back onto the table.

“Okay. Let me cut to the chase: I’ve been observing you – always playing it safe, keeping to yourself. You’ve never ruffled any feathers. You’ve always stayed at home in what I assume is your ‘safe bubble’.”

He leant forward and rested his elbows on the table.

“I usually don’t give a fuck about people, but watching you remain the same square you are now is annoying the hell out of me.”

I raised an eyebrow at him, still taking in what he just said.

“Wait…so you have been stalking me.”
“Stalking is a very strong word. I heard rumors and got curious. That’s beside the point.”

He leant in with another smirk on his face.

“You need to start living, and I’m going to help you to do so.”

I didn’t know how to react or what to feel.

Scared?
Uncomfortable?

…Interested?


Before I could respond to him, Mrs. Robertson came back with our drinks.

“Okay, boys. I have one cherry soda for Tyler, and one chocolate milkshake for Luke. Your food should be ready in about ten minutes.”

“Thanks.”
“Thank you.”

She nodded with a smile before walking off again.

Tyler had already started drinking his soda.

“You really like cherry flavored stuff, huh?”
“Changing the subject isn’t going to get you out of this.”

I bit down on my lip.

“I mean…I barely know you. Plus, I have plans…for the summer…”

I inwardly cringed at my inability to lie.

“Yeah, which I assume involves you lying in bed with either a fiction novel or that cracked Nintendo DS of yours.”

Exactly how closely had he been watching me?

“Come on, Luke. Don’t you at least want to try it? Doing crazy, fun, irresponsible shit while breaking the rules and feeling alive in the process? Don’t you want to break the mold that you’ve been wearing out for once?”

“Maybe I’m comfortable with ‘wearing out the mold’.”

Right?

“But something tells me you’re not. Deep inside, there’s that rebellious Luke who’s pissed beyond all comprehension and wants to go ape shit because he wasn’t allowed to come out, because he was suppressed for so long. Don’t you feel a little bit of remorse for him?”

I didn’t answer him as I took a sip from my milkshake.

“Yes. The answer is ‘yes you do’. And we’re going to help him while helping you in the process.”

“But how do I know that you’re not a murderer or something?”

He sat back into the seat and scoffed.

“If I was a murderer, I’d be in prison by now. But I’m not. Hope that’s reassuring enough for you.”
“…It isn’t.”

“Figures. Alright, here’s the deal. Tomorrow. All I’m asking is for you to hang out with me tomorrow, to give me one chance to convince you. If I do, then we’re hanging out for the rest of the summer.”

“If you don’t?”

He ran his hand through his hair.

“Honestly, if I don’t, I’m going to try again and again until I do.”

He’s determined, huh?

But still, I couldn’t help but give him a small smile.

“…I’ll do it. I’ll hang out with you tomorrow.”

He smirked again.

“I knew you would.”

Mrs. Robertson came back with our food – a burger and fries for Tyler and a slice of pizza for me.

“So, what are we doing tomorrow?”
“That’s for me to know and for you to find out.” – followed by a wink.

“Great…”

Just tomorrow. I just have to spend tomorrow with him, and that’s all.

Right?
♠ ♠ ♠
Another update cause I'm on a roll, lovelies!
Thank you BringMeTheFuentes and loueh! for the recommendations and kaylelle for the comment <3
'Til the next chapter!