Falling in the Black

Being Reassigned

The whole group stood quiet looking between the two when Fury said she was being reassigned, Raylee looked at Fury with a shock look on her face. She couldn’t believe what he had just said about her being reassigned to Washington DC. It made no sense if he was getting her cleared for field work but was making her go to SHIELD headquarters rather than sending her out. She looked over at Natasha and Clint and they both looked as surprised as she was. They may have been on different mission without each other many times but none of them had been reassigned away from each other since she began working with them.

“Why am I being reassigned… what did I do?” Raylee asked sounding as shocked as she looked. “I worked hard to get back where I was before the incident… I am fucking trying here.”

“I think that’s a smart move.” Tony said crossing his arms over his chest. “You should ease back in.”

“Stay out of this Stark.” Raylee snapped at him as she turned back to Fury. “I was cleared for field work but you’re making me leave. Do they plan on sticking me at a desk?”

“I’m not making you leave.” Fury said shaking his head. “We have an assignment for you and that’s why I had you cleared.”

“What about O’Dell?” Clint said looking between Steve and Nat. “We can’t just leave this alone, what if he comes for her while she’s in DC?”

“I agree with Agent Barton.” Steve said looking over at Fury. “This can’t be ignored.”

“This will not be ignored, Captain Rogers we will continue to look into this but we need to continue with our other work.”

“Sending me to DC feels more like a punishment than me getting back to work.”

“I will brief you in a moment Agent Matthews.” Fury said sternly to her as he turned to her partners. “I have assignments for all of you.”

“I will take my leave.” Tony said looking over at everyone then walked over to Raylee. “Don’t be a stranger and let me know if you need anything.”

“Thank you for everything.” She said reaching forward and hugged Stark. “I’ll call once I’m settled into my cell.” Tony smirked at her and nodded at everyone as he left.

“Agent Matthews can we speak alone?” Fury said nodding his head to the door and Raylee nodded as she followed him out. They walked down the hall and turned the corner to talk in private, Fury stopped and turned to face her. “Raylee this is not a punishment. The helicarrier is still in need of many repairs and everyone is being reassigned to something else for now.”

“Nick I am being sent to headquarters.” Raylee said to him.

“We have a German scientist coming in and he needs protection while here and I need one of my best agents on this.” Fury said looking down at her with a stern look. “This man has a lot of information I need so he needs to remain alive while you are with him and he needs to return to Germany alive.”

“I understand.” Raylee said squaring her shoulders and nodding at him. “What about Bruce and his knowledge of us.”

“I will talk with Dr. Banner to make sure he says nothing. Go get your things together and you can catch a ride with Steve.” Fury said as he kissed her forehead then turned and walked away.

Raylee turned around to go to her room but came to a sudden stop when she saw Clint standing there. Clint looked hurt and pissed at the same time, she wasn’t sure how long he had been standing there and didn’t know what he had seen or heard. When she went to talk he put his hand up stopping her then shook his head and walked away from her. “Clint.” She yelled but he kept walking not even turning to look at her.

Seeing Fury and Raylee together in the hall had not surprised Clint but what he heard and saw did. Natasha was wrong when she had assumed there was a connection between him and Raylee, she has some kind of secret relationship with Nick Fury. He had started to let his feelings for her screw with his head and now he was mad, he should have noticed how close they were with each other before and now that he thinks back to the last few years since Fury’s wife died Clint realized how protective Fury was over Raylee and now it made complete sense to him.

After everyone was briefed on what their next missions were going to be Fury had Clint and Natasha fly Steve and Raylee to headquarters. Raylee only packed the stuff she knew she would need knowing Fury would send the rest when she was ready for it. As she came walking out of her room with a duffle bag slung over her shoulder Steve came walking down the hall.

“Agent Matthews.” He said with a polite nod and she smiled at him.

“Captain Rogers you can call me Ray.”

He nodded at her with a smile of his own. “I came this way to see if you needed any help.”

“I only have this bag.” She said gesturing to the bag over her shoulder.

“May I?” he asked reaching for the bag. “Where I come from a gentleman always offers help. I know you can carry it but can you indulge me?”

“Yes.” Raylee said handing the bag to him.

“If you ever have some down time feel free to call me.” Steve glanced over at her as they walked. “I’ve got a list of things people tell me I should check out and I’m not sure of half of it.”

“That actually sounds like something I wouldn’t mind doing.” Raylee said smiling at him. “I think it would be fun popping Captain America’s cherry with some new stuff.”

“Popping my what?” he asked her with a raise eyebrow.

“First thing we have to do is work on the lingo you would probably hear.” She said with a chuckle.

It had been so long since she had a conversation that didn’t involve her recovery or anything pertaining to SHIELD. Steve and Raylee talked about random things on the walk to the quinjet and she couldn’t stop smiling at him. As they loaded on Clint was already sitting in the pilot seat waiting and Bruce was sitting down reading something on a tablet. Steve placed the bag down and they both sat in the other available seats as Natasha came walking up the hatch.

“Raylee, can you co-pilot with Clint I got some stuff to talk with Cap about.” Natasha asked, Raylee nodded at her and slowly walked over to sit in the seat next to Clint.

“What did you need to talk to me about?” Steve asked Natasha when she sat next to him.

“Sorry Cap I really didn’t have to talk, I just think there is something wrong with the two of them and I need to find out what it is.” Natasha said glancing over at them. “I don’t know what else to do.”

“If there is a problem do you really think now is the best time to be trying to fix it.” Steve asked also glancing at them and noticed the tension between the two of them.

“No I don’t but I really don’t have a choice.” She said to him as she got comfortable in her seat and glanced over at Bruce. “What’s up with you Banner, you’ve been really quiet today?”

“Nothing Agent Romanoff, just got a lot on my mind.” Bruce said with a small smile, Fury had already asked him to keep quiet about their conversation even though he thought it wasn’t good keeping this kind of secret from the team but he had agreed to do it.

Raylee sat down in the seat and started assisting Clint with the takeoff procedures, she looked over at him and he wouldn’t look at her. “Clint you need to let me explain what you saw.” She said in a low voice to him.

“Agent Matthews I don’t need to let you explain anything. There is nothing you need to explain, what I saw explained enough.” Clint said as he continued with his job, he didn’t need or want her to confirm anything to him.

“Damn it that’s not true, can you please stop being so stubborn and hear me out?” she snapped at him a little louder than she had intended to and the whole jet went quiet. They both looked behind them to see everyone looking at them.

Clint turned his head to finally look at Raylee and just the sight of her pissed him off more. “Agent Matthews if you’re going to fly this jet with me you need to keep your mind on the task and nothing else.” he snapped at her.

Raylee closed her eyes for a second to keep the tears from falling, when she felt safe enough that they wouldn’t fall she looked back at him. “I will do that Agent Barton.”

Natasha shook her head at the two of them, that had not gone the way she wanted it to and she felt bad because she knew Raylee well and she looked like she wanted to cry but was fighting it. Steve looked from the two agents and over to Natasha. “Agent Romanoff whatever is going on between the two of them is their business and everyone should stay out of it.”

“It’s hard to stay out of it when I depend on them to be able to work together along side of me.” she said looking away from him. “They are both my partners.”

“Secrets tend to put a strain on any relationship.” Bruce said calmly from his seat still looking down at his tablet as the jet began its takeoff. “Everyone should open their eyes to everything around them.”

“What do you mean by that Dr. Banner?” Steve asked in a curious voice.

Bruce just shrugged his shoulders and didn’t bother answering the question he was asked. The ride to Washington DC was a quiet and tensed one. Clint only talked when he needed something and Raylee never answered him she just did what he needed. Natasha, Steve and Bruce just stood there watching the two. Once the jet was landed and a few goodbyes to the other three Raylee and Steve got off. She glanced once more at Clint as the hatch began to close then turned towards the door of the building they just landed on. The two quietly walked to the doors and enter the building.

“I think this is where we part.” Steve said nodding to the agents that were there waiting for them.

“Yeah, I have a briefing.” Raylee said nodding at him. “Let me see your phone.” She said and he slowly pulled it out as he raised his eyebrow at her. “I’m going to put my number in it and you can call me when you want.”

“Ok.” He said with a smile and after a quick handshake they parted ways.

Raylee had a couple of weeks to settle in before the scientist was supposed to arrive. At her briefing she was told that this security detail was going to be a year long then she was going to be escorting him back to Germany. She was to stay with him the entire time he was not in the labs so the council was setting her up in a secure apartment for them. Once she was settled in Raylee called Pepper and found out that they had gone to Malibu for a while but they were happy to hear she was settled in. Raylee was sitting on the couch going over the files she had on the scientist when there was a knock at the door. She wasn’t expecting anyone over so Raylee grabbed her pistol and quietly cocked it as she crept to the door and looked out the peephole. Only seeing what looked like a single agent she decided to voice her presence at the door.

“Who is?” she asked still looking through the peephole.

“Agent Rollins.” He said holding up his identification for her to see.

Raylee stepped back from the door to open it, she didn’t quite trust just anyone yet so she opted to keep the gun in her hand and visible to him as the door opened. “What can I do for you Agent Rollins?”

“Agent Matthews I was sent here because we will be working together on this security detail and they figure it would be nice if we met.”

“I wasn’t told about this.” Raylee said as she gripped the gun a bit tighter bracing for a fight.

“Agent no need for things to get hostel.” Rollins said raising his hands in show of no trouble from him when he noticed the grip she had on the gun. “I’m going to reach in my pocket for a piece of paper.”

“Slow and if you try anything stupid the first bullet goes between your eyes.” Raylee said as she lifted the gun and aimed it at him. “I won’t hesitate to kill you.”

“I like the feistiness.” He said smirking at her as he pulled a folded paper out of his pocket and handed it to her. “I was told to give this to you.”

Raylee slowly took the paper from his hand. “Who told you?”

“Director Fury… can you please lower the damn gun now?” Rollins said shaking his head.

“Why wasn’t I told about any of this when I was briefed earlier?” Raylee asked as she lowered her gun.

“I have no idea.” Rollins said shaking his head as he crossed his arms over his chest. “I’m not used to being on babysitting duty… I’m normally with the strike team.”

“I don’t need a damn babysitter.” Raylee said walking away from the door.

Rollins glanced around the apartment before going in and following her. “Tell that to the head of SHIELD, until I hear otherwise we are stuck with each other sweetheart.”

“I’m not your sweetheart.” Raylee snapped at him. “You can call me Agent… Agent Matthews or Raylee but nothing else.”

After showing Rollins around the place and the things SHIELD had done to it to make it safe she handed him the files she was looking at then went to her room. She figured he could find a place for himself to sleep or just leave for all she cared. Raylee called and argued with Fury about assigning her a babysitter. He explained that Alexander Pierce felt the need to make sure she was a hundred percent before sending her off on her own again. Raylee felt like SHIELD was separating her from Natasha and Clint because they were a part of the Avengers and she wasn’t.

Over the next week Raylee saw very little of Rollins because he was gone a lot with the strike team doing things she didn’t have clearance for. Raylee had to report to the Triskelion on a daily basis until her assignment started. After talking with a few of the agents she knew there Raylee got on the elevator to leave and was surprised to see Steve on there with a few of the guys from the strike team.

“Hello gentlemen.” Raylee said with a smile and they all nodded at her. “Garage.” She said as she stepped on and her command was confirmed.

“I was going to call you tonight.” Steve said smiling at her.

“I began to think you forgot about me.” Raylee said with a small laugh when he frowned. “I’m just playing with you Cap. I knew you have been busy getting readjusted to things.”

“Hey, do you have time for a cup of coffee?” he asked with a smile.

Raylee glanced at her watch before smiling up at him. “Yeah, that actually sounds great.”
“I’ll meet you in the garage in fifteen minutes.” He said as the elevator opened and all the men got off.

“Alright.” Raylee said as the doors closed again.

Just like he said Steve was walking towards her within fifteen minutes, dressed back in his street clothes. They both agreed on a small café not far from where they were so they drove their vehicles and met there. After placing their order Raylee leaned forward on the table to rest her chin on her hands and smiled at him.

“What?” he asked defensively and she smiled more at him.

“Have you met anyone?” she asked and he shook his head no. “You’re Captain America there has to be tons of women wanting to drop at your feet.”

“I’ll start looking for a girl if you tell me what was going on between you and Agent Barton.”

“That is not fair.” Raylee said wagging her finger at him and this time it was him that smiled. “Barton and I are complicated.”

“I was frozen for seventy years… I think I know complicated.”

“Cap…” Raylee said in a whine and he shook his head. “Fine, I thought I had feelings for him but I was wrong.”

“Were you wrong or are you afraid because what happened between you two when he was under Loki’s control?” he asked as he clasped his hands and rested them on the table.

“I had thought it was fear but the more I thought about things I realized it wasn’t.” Raylee said but stopped talking when the waitress brought their drinks. They both smiled at her then she walked away. “Natasha, Clint and I always had each other’s backs when it was needed. I think I had developed some feelings for him as time went by but the thought of ruining a friendship and partnership stopped them from going further.”

“I think you’re wrong but I’m not going to bother you any further about it.” Steve said as he sat up straight. “So when does your next assignment start?”

Raylee was glad for the change of subject but wasn’t keen on the new topic. “In about a week but Fury and Pierce has assigned me a babysitter.”

When Steve raised his eyebrow at her in confusion Raylee explained what happened and what Fury told her. He was shocked that they were doing that but understood their concern when it came to her health and whether or not she was ready to be on her own yet. Steve had explained she was a great agent and did his best at explaining what was probably going through their minds when they made their decision. Raylee accepted his explanation but still wasn’t happy about it.

Raylee quickly changed the subject again but this time it was focused on Steve. She wanted to know more about the man that sat in front of her and not just the stuff she read in his files. He smiled as he told her stories about his past and she loved seeing that smile on his face. They had spent a few hours sitting there drinking coffee and exchanging stories. When it was time to part ways she was sad to have to leave him when they were just getting to know each other better.

Over the next week they had exchanged calls with each other and text messages when they couldn’t talk verbally. Steve was quickly becoming her new best friend and he liked that except when she would try to hook him up with different ladies they would cross paths with. The day before meeting with the scientist she was assigned to she was stuck at the apartment discussing plans with Rollins. That in itself was irritating because the two of them had nothing in common and he wasn’t happy to be assign to her.

Rollins knew he was assigned to her for a reason but no one would tell him what it was. Rumlow had told him that Pierce said she was top priority in order for them to succeed at the mission they were dealing with. It made no sense to him to have her being a top priority considering she was just a level six agent and the scientist should have been guarded by a level seven or higher. Rumlow told him things would make plenty sense when the time comes, Pierce had assured him of it. So for the time being they had to do as they were told and stop questioning the motives.