Status: A work in progress!

Whisper in a Dead Mans Ear

Chapter 1. Somebody's Watching Me

At last, the final bell had went and kids were in a rush to get the hell out of this high school. The halls became crowded as herds of teenagers filled them, trying to shove their way out of the exit doors. Today was Friday and unfortunately, Halloween was tomorrow... on a Saturday to make matters even worse. Don't get me wrong, I like Halloween strictly because of the horror movies that appear on television around this time of year. As for anything else? No, not my thing. Considering I'm the type of girl who likes to keep to herself, besides the fact that I actually do have one friend, my best friend to be exact, Sydney.

Sydney is the complete opposite of me, which makes me question sometimes how we're even best friends. Sydney has short blonde - almost white haired, and she's bubbly, exciting and very social. While me on the other hand, I have long jet black hair, I'm sarcastic, cynical and anti-social. The only thing that's the same about Sydney and I is the fact that we're both the same height and both petite/thin built. Even though we share little to absolutely nothing in common, we're somehow the best of friends and have been since we were like seven years old. Now, we're both seventeen and still as close as we've ever been regardless of Sydney's busy social life and my lack of a social life.

"Megan?" A soft voice called out from across the room, awakening me from my nap.

"Huh..?" I asked, startled and raising my head off of my desk. "Oh.. shit. Sorry."

"Megan... you need to start getting yourself some rest." My teacher stated dully. "You're already ahead of the rest of the class and you're tiring yourself out studying and not getting enough sleep."

I yawned before shrugging, "I'll sleep when I'm dead."

My teacher, Mr. Wilson, folded his arms across his chest and scoffed, "Keep this up and you'll be dead sooner rather than later. Get yourself some rest this weekend Megan, please."

I rolled my eyes as I stood up and closed my binder, "Fine..." I sighed loudly.

"Good girl, now get yourself home safely and get some rest." Mr. Wilson repeated, his words slowly starting to become repetitive.

Nodding, I scooped up the rest of my books and left the classroom as fast as I could. I sighed loudly as I waited for the right time to merge into the crowd of teenagers shoving and pushing their way through the halls. There was literally two lanes of "traffic" in these hallways. God forbid you ever get caught in the wrong "lane", you'd find yourself trampled.

"Move, fucking emo." A male 'Jock' shouted as he shoved me against my locker.

Wincing, I held my now sore shoulder that had just been slammed up against my own locker, "Fuck you..." I grumbled under my breathe before turning and unlocking my locker to put my books away since it was clear I had no homework assigned to me this weekend as I'm ahead of everyone in all of my classes.

Exciting life I live...

Once my books were shoved in my unorganized and messy locker, I grabbed my black pull over hoodie and put it on, not caring if my hair was messy or not from doing so, I just wanted to get home before Sydney caught up to me as I knew what she was already going to ask me. Pulling my hood over my head, I made my way out of the school and made my way over to the smokers pit that our principle had assigned a specific area just for the smokers in this school. I watched as some kids got in to their cars, some jumped on the buses and some walked in groups.

"There you are!" Sydney exclaimed as she jogged up to me.

"...Here I am." I grumbled.

"Please tell me you bought a costume..." Sydney sighed.

"Yeah, I bought myself a costume for all of the Halloween parties that I won't be attending." I replied sarcastically.

"Megan... are you kidding me?!" Sydney groaned, "Get your ass in my car... we have to go find you a costume now. Hopefully we can find something since you waited until last minute." Sydney added in annoyance as she dug in her jacket pocket for her car keys.

"Typical Megan." She mumbled as she began to walk off.

I scoffed and folded my arms over my chest, "I'm not going."

"Uh..." Sydney started as she turned around to face me, "Yes... you fucking are."

"You going to make me?" I asked almost laughing.

Sydney rolled her eyes and threw her hands up in the air, "God forbid you actually do something fun in your life. Fine. You know what? stay home. Spend your Friday night sitting at home watching shitty made horror films and then spend your Saturday handing out candy to kids by yourself. Sounds like you'll have a blast." Sydney ranted.

"Fine!" I exclaimed in defeat, "I'll go buy a stupid costume."

Sydney smirked, "So that means you will come with me to Cody's Halloween party tonight?"

"You're not going to take no for an answer so..." I trailed off as I stormed past Sydney and headed over to where she had her car parked.

"You'll thank me later." Sydney called out behind me.

I snorted in disbelief, "Not likely."

Image

"I'm not going dressed like this." I stated firmly as I stared at myself in the mirror.

"Why not? You actually look... wow..." Sydney started.

"What?" I hissed.

"You look hot." Sydney added, staring at me in shock.

"No, I look like a slut. What even am I suppose to be?" I asked in annoyance.

"You're a sexy witch." Sydney replied dully.

"A witch? Where do you get that I'm a witch from?! Because I look like a street walker!" I retorted, staring back at myself.

Sydney and I had both went to look for costumes but given that tomorrow was Halloween, we couldn't find anything besides a black witch hat. Sydney reassured me that she had a "costume" that would go with the witch hat back at her place, so me being the idiot I am, trusted her. Now I'm currently wearing a strapless black short dress and black knee high 6 inch stripper boots.

"Yeah no." I added.

"Oh shut up, you look fine... besides... everyone is going to dress slutty. It's the one night a year a girl can dress like a total slut and not be judged for it. Jesus haven't you seen the movie 'Mean Girls'?" Sydney asked handing me my witch hat.

I narrowed my eyes and shook my head, "No?".

Sydney stared at me wide eyed, "Lord, grant me the serenity to save you before it's too late." She giggled as she too put her witch hat on. We were both going as witches or sluts with witch hats, whichever you prefer.

Sighing, I chose to ignore Sydney's comment and just follow her out of her house instead of starting another argument with her tonight. Luckily for us and my feet with these annoying heels on, Cody, the most popular guy in school whom was throwing the Halloween party tonight, lives across the street from Sydney. It was chilly out tonight too, meaning this is going to be a brutal cold winter coming for us.

As soon as we stepped outside of Sydney's house you could hear and almost feel the bass bumping from Cody's house. Sydney strutted her stuff down her driveway and across the street to Cody's house. I sighed loudly and placed my witch hat on my head and reluctantly followed Sydney over to Cody's and inside the house. I winced at the sound of the music blasting throughout the house as we walked in. Immediately some girls that know and are friends with Sydney handed Sydney two red plastic cups full of some sort of alcohol beverage.

Sydney swayed her hips to the beat of the music as she handed me one of the red plastic cups. Sydney didn't say anything as she grabbed me by the wrist and led me to where everyone was dancing. I held the cup up to my nose and sniffed the drink and scrunched my nose instantly knowing that it was whiskey by the strong scent. Sydney giggled at my expression as she placed her cup to her lips and chugged back the drink like it were water. My eyes widened at how fast she finished the drink before carelessly tossing the plastic cup on the floor. Cody's parents didn't live here and for some reason thought they could trust their 18 year old son to take care of their home while they worked out of town... but judging by how messy and cluttered this house appeared to be, he clearly wasn't doing a good job of that.

"Drink up pussy." Sydney challenged.

I scoffed, "I'm not a 'pussy'."

"Yes you are." Sydney shouted over the music.

My eyes narrowed into a cold hard glare as I held the cup up to my lips and shut my eyes, leaning my head back and chugging the whiskey as fast as I could. I almost gagged at the taste of pure whiskey. It wasn't mixed with anything at all. My throat burned and it took everything I had in me to not puke it up. I shivered and threw the cup onto the floor as Sydney laughed hysterically.

"Wow, you might be fine after all. Here, let's go do some shots!" Sydney exclaimed as she took me by the wrist again, dragging me towards the kitchen.

My eyes wandered across the room, past the crowds of people dressed up in costumes and upon a male with black shaggy, 'scene' like hair with red eye contacts and a pale complexion. He was leaning against the wall with a drink in his hand, staring back at me. He appeared to be alone and was dressed all in black. He stood about 6'1 and was incredibly attractive. Judging by the red contacts and pale skin, I was going to assume he was suppose to be a 'vampire' or some shit like that.

Danzig's "Mother" had just started playing throughout the house and I couldn't help but be mesmerized by the unknown male across the room. A smirk formed across his face as he we made eye contact. I blushed 50 shades of red and spun around to face Sydney who had just thrown back a shot of something and was holding up at shot glass at me. I sighed again before taking the shot glass and throwing back the shot, this time not wanting to throw it back up unlike last time.

"SHOTS!" A male yelled across the kitchen as he began to pour us more shots.

Within two minutes, I had thrown back at least 10 shots. I covered my mouth as I burped and stepped back away from the counter where people were pouring and take shots at. I almost lost my balance I was now pretty buzzed which I've never been in my life. Yes I know, I'm seventeen and never been drunk... I'm a buzzkill okay?

However, be that as it may, I am a chain smoker. I took up smoking a year ago. I find it to be a gross and nasty habit but it's my habit of choice, it calms me down and relieves me of stress and anxiety which I suffer from a lot. Speaking of which, I need a cigarette after all of these shots.

"Syd." I called out.

Sydney couldn't hear me as she was too busy taking more shots. Impatiently, I tapped Sydney on the shoulder and she finally acknowledged me.

"I'm going out for a cigarette." I shouted over the music.

"I'll come with you! Just let me mix us a drink!" Sydney shouted back.

I nodded and turned to leave. As I was pushing through crowds of people, staggering as I did so, I noticed the guy with the red contacts again. Only this time he was standing outside on the patio, smoking a cigarette and staring at me yet once again. I blushed and stared down at my feet as I passed him and headed further out in the back yard, away from the crowds of people. My instincts told me that somebody was still watching me, which made an eerie, uncomfortable feeling take over me as I pulled out a cigarette from my pack and placed it between my lips. The flame from my lighter lit the end of my cigarette which turned red as I inhaled a long drag off of it.

"Having fun?!" Sydney asked from behind me, almost giving me a heart attack.

"Jesus!" I exclaimed, "You almost gave me a fucking heart attack." I added as I let the cigarette smoke slowly escape from my mouth.

"What's wrong Meggy? Are you afraid of the dark?" She taunted.

I laughed in disbelief, "Oh totally. You got me there." I replied sarcastically.

A smug look formed on Sydney's face as she stared back at the house. Sydney glanced back over at me, watching as I flicked my cigarette carelessly out of my hand and slowly exhaled smoke out of my mouth. I cocked an eyebrow at Sydney, wondering why she was staring at me weirdly.

"You're staring at me like you want to jump in that bush and start making out." I stated jokingly.

Sydney smirked, "Sorry... I'm just a little buzzed." She explained, "Here drink this." She insisted, handing me yet another red plastic cup with some sort of mixed drink in it.

I shrugged and took the drink, "Thanks."

"How do you like being drunk?" Sydney asked curiously.

"I'm not there quite yet, I'm pretty buzzed though." I replied dully before taking a sip of whatever it was Sydney had just gave me. "Yuck!" I exclaimed making a disgusted face.

"What?" She chuckled.

"This tastes like shit... what the fuck is this?!" I asked in disgust.

"It's a mixed drink Megan, drink it fast and you won't have the gross after taste in your mouth." Sydney insisted.

I shrugged as I sighed deeply, "Well... roll with the big dogs or sit at home on the porch with the pups, right?"

Sydney nodded with a smug look on her face, "Right..."

Within seconds, I had chugged back the drink and she ended up being right after all, the gross after taste wasn't there anymore. Now I was definitely drunk, I could hardly feel my face let alone stand up. These heels had to go. I snorted in laughter as I plopped down on the grass and unzipped Sydney's boots that I was wearing and tossed them carelessly away from me. I giggled as the cold grass tickled my now bare feet.

"Look, I'm going to say this now so that I don't have the burden of guilt on my shoulders..." Sydney started as she roughly grabbed my wrist and yanked me up to my feet. I stumbled as I tried to catch my balance.

"W-What?" I asked, focusing on not falling over.

"I did what I had to do. I had no choice and it's not like you're going to be missing much anyway..." Sydney continued to trail off.

"I...I don't... I don't feel good..." I moaned as I staggered forward and held my head in my hands.

"It's the drink... it's just one of the side effects, don't worry... you won't throw up." Sydney explained dully, staring at her freshly painted nails.

"What... the fuck did you give me?!" I growled as my vision began to blur and I was now fighting to stay awake.

My staggering came to a sudden halt as I focused on what and who was now in front of me. The attractive guy dressed as the vampire with red contacts, who kept staring at me throughout the night was now standing in front of me, staring at me like he was impatient about something.

"When you wake up... you'll never see me again... Sydney's voice trailed off as my vision blurred yet once again and I fell forward.

Luckily for me, the guy with the red contacts caught me and rolled his eyes in annoyance.

"Pass out already for Christ sake." He hissed, finally speaking.

I gripped onto his shirt as my eyes fluttered open and shut a couple times. My body felt numb and stiff, almost as if I had just become paralyzed. I wanted to scream but my body wouldn't allow me to do so as I was now slowly drifting off into a deep slumber.

Sydney stared down at me before my vision went black,

"I'm sorry Megan..."
♠ ♠ ♠
SO, this chapter sucked as it's the first chapter, but I can promise you... that this story is not going to be as boring as it may appear and it's also not going to be your typical twilight like bullshit vampire story. Stay tuned ;)

let me know what you thought!