Status: This is my NaNoWriMo 2015 attempt. Let the horror begin!

To Kill a Ghost

Chapter Nine

Dedra walked into the room as silent as death itself. There was a black, long sleeved, v-neck shirt lying on the floor beside a midnight blue number that barely passed for a dress. She followed the trail of pants and stockings passed a filthy bathroom, the maids obviously didn’t work for this bastard, into a wide bedroom area. A flat screen television graced one wall while ugly abstract artwork lingered on the others. White walls and light, burnished furniture made the room. Its focal point was the grand king sized bed with a tangle blue duvet lying on the floor. Cream colored sheets covered two bodies. Dedra stared at them for a long moment.

The woman had caramel colored skin and honey colored hair. It was obviously died due to the black roots showing. Her eyes, even though closed, were round and slanted. Asian, maybe Mexican, decent. One long, tanned, lean leg escaped from the cream sheet. Her feet were long and slender. Her lip twitched in her sleep. Dedra thought she perceived the hint of a dimple.

Sam Jennings lay beside the beautiful woman. He looked more like a homeless man with his unkempt hair and atrocious beard. Parts of it grew and other parts never quite filled in. His eyebrows were shaggy. Hairy men never suited Dedra’s fancy, but she wasn’t here to fancy him. She moved closer to the left side, his side, of the large bed. She leaned over him, studying his narrow face. His eyes were small and curved upward. He had perfect, long, black eyelashes that matched the dark brown in his hair. The patchy scruff on his chin was redder rather than brown bringing out the pink in his lips. His upper up was just a bit plumper than his lower, giving it the appearance of sticking out as if he had buck teeth. Did he have buck teeth? She did find one thing about him she liked. His nose was regal with a near button tip except for the slight downward curve. She imagined him clean shaven and showered. He must be more handsome when he tries.

“Hello, Mr. Jennings,” she whispered to herself. His bed mate stirred, rolled over, and threw a long arm over his chest. Her dark eyes lingered for just a moment on Dedra before they closed again. She counted to three before the bedmate’s eyes popped open and a gasp left her lips.

“I know,” Sam spoke. His accent wasn’t too thick, but it wasn’t subtle either. She couldn’t help but notice the way his mouth moved as he spoke. It was beautiful, almost seductive. “I can’t believe you’re still here either.”

The woman jumped from his bed. She grabbed her dress and left everything else on the floor, including her expensive heels. The door slammed with a thunderous bang that caused Sam’s eyes to flicker open. Dedra couldn’t move from over him. His eyes were the color of the early morning Hawaiian ocean with specks of dark green. Dark pupils took up most of the beauty. “You took something last night, didn’t you?” Dedra asked.

“Please tell me you’re not real?” He said with a chuckle as he put his arm over his eyes. She pinched him.

“Who the bloody hell are you?” Sam growled at her.

“Are you really an intelligence guy with the military?” Her voice was low and her tone soothing. She felt like beating the hell out of him then and there.

“Of course not. I’m a underpaid maintenance man who makes extra cash like this, Love. If you wanted a date, you should have called first.” He groaned as he stretched. Dedra punched him in his ribs, forcing his perfect eyes to lock onto her.

“Listen, Douche, I’m not one you want to jerk around. Tell me about your military background!” Her fist hovered over his already bruising skin

“I was in the military for two years.” He pulled the sheet down over his torso. His chest and abdomen were muscular, a four pack gracing his stomach along with a long, think line on the right side of his body. “Hand to hand combat got me stabbed and discharged. My lung filled with blood and a brother in arms saved my life.”

“Dammit,” she hissed. “Is your real name even Jennings?”

“How do you know that?” He questioned.

“I just do!” She held the photo from the file close to his cheek. It wasn’t the same man.

“Come with me.” She grabbed his arm and hauled him up.

“Wait! Jesus, wait a minute!” He yelled. Dedra looked at his faced, her brow furrowed. He looked down at his body. Her gaze followed and realized a very important detail.

“It must be kind of chilly in here, huh?” She smirked at him. “I just need you to face the security camera outside. Just your face, so throw some pants off and look at it for about three minutes.”

“Why?” He asked.

“I don’t normally tell people this, and I shouldn’t tell you, but I’m with a secret government agency that sent me to arrest and torture you. However, you don’t match the details I’ve been given.”

“What?”

“I need a guns expert with high level military intelligence capabilities. He’d be high ranking now, so high ranking that he’s off the grid.” She tightened her messy bun. “You’re obviously not my man.”

Sam stepped into his pants and grinned. “Oh, but I could be for the right…”

“No, Honey, trust me.” Dedra stepped closer to him. Her lips moved against his ear. “If you were mine, you wouldn’t make it long enough to enjoy it.”

His face turned at least four shades of crimson as she moved away. “Go look at the camera now.”

“I know a guy like the one you’re looking for.” He said as she shoved him toward the door. His skin felt sticking against her hand.

“You are not good enough…”

“I’m being serious! He saved my life. Shot the man stabbing me from 200 yards, rushed over to me and explained to someone how to get air back into me.” He shrugged and wiped his hand through his hair, trying to pat it down. “What was his name?”

“That’s the million dollar question.” She rolled her eyes and opened the door. Her hands locked onto Sam’s jaw and forced his face toward the camera. “Don’t say anything.” Five minutes passed just to be on the safe side before she pushed him back inside the room.

“I know his name!” Sam cried suddenly. Dedra’s fist balled at her sides at the startling sound of his voice. She waited for him to speak, but he shuffled through his bedside table first. He shoved a picture into her hands. “Eli Jones.”

He was tall, and lean. The blue camouflage suited him. His jaw was strong, he had high cheekbones and almond shaped green eyes. The smile in the photograph reminded her of Jake.

“Nice hardware.” She retorted.

“He’s not that great…” Sam trailed off.

“I meant his gun.” She smiled and kissed him on the cheek. “This looks like my guy.”

“Don’t come in here looking like that, kissing my cheek, and talking about another man’s hardware. What kind of man do you take me for?” He crossed his arms over his pale, bare chest. Dedra put her hand over the middle of his arms, her fingernails scratching the tip of his chest.

“You’re the kind of man who will help me when I come looking for him.” She smiled all too sweetly. “Do me a favor though?”

Sam’s ears perked up as he slipped his lower lip between his teeth. “I like my men cleaned up a bit, and try not to have a woman in your bed. Okay?”

“How am I supposed to make my…” He trailed off as Dedra removed her hand.

“I didn’t say you couldn’t have sex, just don’t keep them lingering.” She wave as she walked casually out of the door.

Kirkland is going to murder you.