Status: I'm back!

A Dream's Reality

Chapter 11

Day 5 – Healing Herbs

Today I was going to be learning from Cade, he didn’t seem too enthusiastic about having to teach me. I sighed at the thought. Braeden says Cade is just shy, but I wonder if he dislikes me. I did feel relieved that today was more about educating me on specific things instead of actual physical activity. It would be a nice break if I could find Cade.

I had been walking around for a while trying to find Cade’s whereabouts. But he disappeared quickly after breakfast. I started walking through the gardens towards the forest when I heard a low voice. I followed its soothing sound and ended up finding Cade with a few animals crowded around him. Some were even on him. C-cute! He didn’t seem to notice my presence as he continued to sing lowly.

I had no idea he could sing and became entranced with his voice. Before I knew it, I was right next to him and sat down. Cade must’ve sensed me as his ears perked up and his singing stopped. He opened his eyes groggily before they widened. He jumped up in shock, making the animals around him move away.

“Q-queen? W-what are you doing here?!” His entire face was completely red. Oh no…Is he mad? I bowed continuously.

“Ah, I’m so sorry Prince Cade. I didn’t mean to upset you. I-I just heard your beautiful song and became entranced.” I stuttered feeling really flustered.

“Huh? Beautiful?!” Cade practically shouted, surprising me. He quickly turned away and I stood up.

“I’m sorry. You’re not mad at me are you?”

“What? No, Queen Celeste. I’m not mad.” He sighed but didn’t turn around to look at me once. “You can go back now, sorry.” Ouch. I felt a little hurt by his words but didn’t want to leave. For one, I was supposed to be learning from him today. Secondly, I won’t let him get away so easily.

“Prince Cade, we are supposed to go over healing herbs today,” I said with a hopeful tone. Maybe he will agree because Naida gave him the task.

“Someone else would be better suited than me. I can’t be much help to you.” I tilted my head at his words, confused as to why he always says things like that. He started walking away but I quickly went after him. He turned around.

“Please, Prince Cade. I want to learn about it from you.” I pleaded, searching his orange eyes for some kind of response.

“Queen, I won’t be any help. I’m not a good teacher.” He avoided looking into my eyes, but being stubborn I took hold of his face and made him face me. His eyes widened and his slightly tanned cheeks flushed red but he didn’t try to move.

“Prince Cade. Please look at me. I won’t know if you’re a good teacher or not if we don’t try.” I sighed. “Have I done something wrong to make you dislike me?” I asked boldly, finally able to get out the question that’s been bothering me. His eyes widened even more and he looked away for me.

“Dislike you? No. I…Um. I’m sorry, Queen Celeste.” With my hands still holding his face, he looked down ashamed. Cade? “I don’t mean to be rude. I’m just not suitable for this kind of thing like teaching a Queen…” He trailed off awkwardly. I moved my head to find his eyes so he would look at me and he blushed again, his cat ears standing up.

“Good, I’m so glad you don’t dislike me.” I gave him a warm smile and his eyes widened once more. “Now. Let’s get to talking about the healing herbs! Braeden tells me that you really enjoy using them and could go on for hours about them.” I teased, trying to lighten the mood. I let go of Cade’s face and grabbed his wrist. I want to make sure he doesn’t run away.

“As you wish, Queen Celeste,” Cade says, defeated with his light pink cat ears bending low. He muttered something about a pushy Braeden. I smile in victory and lead him towards the greenhouse I passed on the way here. I remember Braeden telling me that’s where I would be learning from Cade.

We walked inside and both stood in awe of all the greenery. There were so many different plants in here, there was no way I could name even a fraction of them. This place was like its own garden. I looked at Cade’s face practically light up and couldn’t help but smile.

“So. Aren’t you glad I brought you here?” I teased and he looked away with a red face, muttering once more. “What types of herbs are used for healing?” I asked, getting right to the point. Cade sighed, knowing I wouldn’t let him getaway.

“Well, there are different herbs for different types of things. The typical ones are ginger, rosemary, turmeric, holy basil, and Andrographis. But there are so many more. Depending on what you are trying to heal, you may choose different herbs. The best way is to make a paste that can be rubbed on to the injury or painful area.” That was the most I’ve ever heard Cade speak and my mouth was left open in surprise.

Cade disappears for a moment and returns with a plant I didn’t recognize. He called it holy basil and started grinding part of it into a bowl. A somewhat sweet scent filled my nose and I sighed. Smells nice. Cade was smiling at me and I blushed. He didn’t smile very often.

“Holy basil helps relieve stress. It has a calming effect much like lavender.” I nodded, staring at his hand movements with interest.

“Woah. What do you do when you’re trying to heal someone?” I asked out of curiosity. Cade looked at me and smirked. Well, that’s new. He brushed his pink hair out of his face.

“Well, it’s hard to explain. But just like when you try to control an element, you have to imagine a force of energy flowing through you. You don’t always need herbs when healing, it’s like an element itself. You channel it onto the wound and watch it heal. There aren’t many healers and there are some in every kingdom.” I nodded, listening intently to his words. He was perfectly knowledgeable and anyone could tell that this was something he enjoyed. I smiled at the thought.

“I’m sorry, Queen Celeste. I must be boring you.” Cade said shyly, his cat ears hanging low. I smiled again.

“No. I can tell you love it and it makes me happy that you would talk to me about it so enthusiastically. Plus, I must learn to love it too.” I gave him a sincere look, hoping he will believe my words. “Thank you, Prince Cade. I’m glad I got to see a different side of you.” His eyes widened.

“W-what? Oh no. I mean, um. Y-you’re welcome I guess.” His eyes shifted around awkwardly and he rubbed his hair in embarrassment. Awww. “Gotta go.” He said quickly and left the greenhouse before I could stop him. I sighed.

“Ah. I was close, I want him to be more comfortable with me.” But I can’t force him, I must let him do so at his own pace. I smiled thinking about how enthusiastic he was about the plants and healing. Although, I wish I learned a lot more. It felt like such a short lesson. I decided that I would slowly learn about Cade and get him to open up. With newfound determination, I too head out of the greenhouse to find the others. Cade, I hope I can get to know you more.

~~~~~~~~~~

Cade’s POV:

I knew I was supposed to be teaching Queen Celeste today about different herbs used for healing, but I felt like she wouldn’t need my help specifically. I went to the forest behind the palace for a breather when some of the animals surrounded me. I smiled. I always felt more comfortable with animals than people. I started to sing a song and closed my eyes ready to drift off.

That’s when I heard a noise and my eyes shot open. Q-queen Celeste?! I jumped up in surprise at her presence, making the animals move back as well. What is she doing here? When she called my song beautiful, my heart stopped. It was a song my mother used to sing to me before she left. I felt so flustered and turned red, looking away. That’s when she surprised me again by asking if I was mad at her. Mad?

I never mean to come off as mad, but I don’t feel like I am suitable for this position or to be an important role in the blooming of the newest Divine Elemental so I keep my distance. I told her to go back and instantly bit my tongue. Damn it. That sounded harsh. Queen Celeste brought up the lesson we were supposed to have but I brushed it off. I tried walking away but she quickly followed me, making me turn around.

I felt embarrassed as she said she wanted to learn about it from me. Why? I looked around, avoiding her intense gaze. Queen Celeste grabbed my face in between her pale, soft hands and made me look at her. I blushed furiously at the contact. Then she asked me why I disliked her. I felt horrible. I definitely did not dislike Queen Celeste. I tried to explain myself, but as usual, it came out sounding pretty dumb and I avoided any eye contact. She moved around to meet my gaze and smiled, making me blush even more. Ah, fuck.

Why was she cheerful after that? She’s like Braeden! I sighed. She told me that Braeden explained my liking for herbs and healing which made me frustrated. That little! Always running his mouth! I was defeated as Queen Celeste smiled victoriously and led me towards the greenhouse. When we got there, it was amazing. Bigger than my own! I stared in awe and Queen Celeste seemed to notice as she teased me. I turned red again and muttered a ‘Damn it, not again.’ to myself.

Once she asked about what herbs are used for healing, something clicked and I began to ramble on about them. I quickly thought of what plant I could show her and went off to find holy basil. I told her what it was and started grinding part of it into a bowl, loving the sweet smell it gave off. I snuck a glance at Queen Celeste to see what she thought and was relieved to see that she was smiling serenely. Good. I smiled a bit to myself.

She seemed completely amazed with what I was doing as I explained what holy basil does. Amazed at this? Queen Celeste actually appeared to be interested in everything I had to say and watched me intently with those eyes. She smiled at my explanation and I awkwardly realized that I had been babbling. Must be boring…

Queen Celeste said she was happy that I was enthusiastic and thanked me for seeing a different side of me? I couldn’t really comprehend it as my eyes widened. I didn’t know what to do and stuttered out jumbled words while messing with my hair. I couldn’t look her in the eyes again. After a quick ‘gotta go’, I walked out as fast as I could. Once I knew she wasn’t following, I sighed in relief.

I felt dumb for leaving in such a rude way but I didn’t know how to be around her. Although Queen Celeste is like Braeden with their cheery attitude and pushy-ness, she was still different. I patted my cheeks, hoping the blush would disappear and decided the best thing to do was a nap.
♠ ♠ ♠
Cade is such a shy boi! :*