Status: Complete.

Uncharted Waters

Chapter Five

Gigi was still thinking about her encounter with Link when she got home that afternoon. She stirred her food around absent-mindedly on her plate, hoping that he was right and she would most likely see him again.

"Gigi, hello. Come back to us." Madi waved a hand in Gigi's face, laughing when she jumped slightly. Gigi realized her whole family was staring at her.

"What?" she asked.

"That's what we were wondering," Simon said jokingly. "We were asking what you were up to all day."

"Oh, you know. Just walked down the beach, checked out the market. Nothing too exciting."

"So then what are you thinking about?" Benji asked. "You look a million miles away."

He grimaced slightly as Gigi and Madi both kicked him under the table. Madi, Evelyn, and Scarlett were all regarding her with a wise and annoyingly knowing look. Thankfully, Ben seemed completely oblivious to where her thoughts had been. She knew he'd never let her leave the house alone again if he knew.

"We're staying in Port Aris for a while, aren't we?" Gigi asked hopefully. "It's been such a long time since I've seen Madi and Benji and I'd love to stay a while and visit them."

She did her best imploring look; complete with wide innocent eyes and her bottom lip sticking out ever so slightly in a pleading pout.

"Of course we can stay for a while," Ben replied, smiling. Gigi could feel three pairs of blue eyes boring into her as she beamed happily at her father. She tried to escape to her room alone after dinner, but was cornered by Madi, Evelyn and Scarlett as soon as she reached the door.

"Don't think you're getting away that easily, darling," Madi said with a grin. The three of them ushered her into her room and shut the door. Gigi felt like she was a little kid again, crowded into her bed while Evelyn and Scarlett told stories to their wide eyed six year old daughters.

"You're lucky that as perceptive as your father is, he didn't pick up on what that gleam in your eyes means. Now spill," Scarlett demanded. "Who is he? What's his name?"

"When did you meet?" Madi chimed in excitedly. "Where did you meet? How long has this been-"

"One at a time," Gigi interrupted, rolling her eyes. "And nothing is technically going on. I met him today. He ran into me at the market and knocked me over, actually. His name is Link." She propped her chin in her hands, feeling her lips start to pull up at the corners when she said his name.

"Oh she's positively smitten," Evelyn laughed. "Just look at that dreamy, far away look in her eyes."

"Gigi has a crush!" Madi crowed. "That's why you want to stay here longer. And here I thought you really did just miss Benji and I." She shook her head in mock disappointment.

"I have missed you!" Gigi protested. "I do want to spend time with you. I'm just maybe hoping I run into Link again, that's all."

She flushed slightly as they all smirked at her.

"Don't tell Daddy," Gigi told them sternly, giving them a warning glare.

"A girl's only secret," Evelyn whispered conspiratorially, winking.

"So what's he like?" Scarlett asked. She looked eager but there was also a flicker of worry in her eyes.

"He's...kind of odd, really. He's terribly clumsy, and he's tall, with glasses and curly hair. I think he's some sort of academic type. Very sweet, but I think he's quite shy."

"Is he friends with Benji by chance?" Madi asked with a snicker. Gigi threw a pillow at her.

"Actually they probably would get along," she admitted with a small giggle. Scarlett smiled at her, the hint of worry in her eyes gone.

"Is he a local?"

"No." Gigi shook her head. "He's from Boston. He's here studying the history of Port Aris."

"Ooh, an American," Madi said in a hushed voice. "How scandalous."

They continued to pepper her with questions for a while longer before finally leaving her be. Her mother kissed her forehead and gave her a lingering smile before she left and Gigi flopped back against her mountain of pillows.

"Link Lincoln," she murmured to herself, smiling slightly. She curled up and fell asleep dreaming about Shakespeare and hazel eyes.

* * * * * *

The next day Ben dragged them all out on a picnic. He was known for spontaneous acts of romance and family togetherness. He rousted them all in the wee hours of the morning, obnoxiously chipper for someone who rose before the sun. He led the way as the rest of them shuffled sleepily behind him on their way to the market.

"All the freshest things are there early in the morning," he said cheerfully.

"Really? Because I don't feel fresh at all this early," Madi grumbled and Gigi giggled. She swallowed her complaints despite how much she just wanted to go back to sleep. Ben was so excited about his spur of the moment endeavor and in the end none of them really had the heart to gripe too much. His enthusiasm was infectious. Gigi wandered the market stalls looking for fresh fruit.

"Mi amor, beautiful Gigi, how wonderful it is to see you again."

"Hello, Julio." Gigi turned around to see the handsome Spaniard bow gallantly to her before grabbing her hand and planting a kiss on it.

"It's been so long," Julio said. "I was beginning to fear I would forget how lovely your face is."

Gigi smiled slightly at his theatrics. He, like her mother, used to be a pirate but had made so much money from all his plundering that he had given it up and retired to Port Aris. He still owned a ship and was a frequent sailor, but now he sailed for pleasure rather than profit. He had been serenading and flirting with Gigi since he first met her three years ago, when she was fifteen. She had never taken it very seriously, since Julio flirted with a lot of people. She seemed to be his favorite though.

"I'm surprised you remember me at all, with all the ladies you spend time with," she said with a laugh. He placed a hand over his heart.

"My Gigi, you wound me. I am always awaiting the day you decide your heart cannot bear to let you part with me again."

His charming grin slipped and morphed into a slight grimace as he looked over her shoulder. He took a hasty step back as Ben stepped forward, eyes icy.

"Julio," he said stiffly.

"Ah, Mr. Griffith. How nice it is to see you again." Julio's expression conveyed that seeing Ben again was the furthest thing from nice and Gigi had to bite back a giggle.

"If you'll excuse us, we must be on our way," Ben said tersely. He took Gigi's arm and steered her away.

"You don't have to be so mean to him, Daddy," Gigi said, laughing. "Julio is just my friend."

Ben snorted. "I know that man's reputation. Trust me, he has no interest in being just your friend."

Gigi rolled her eyes but knew it was useless to argue. They trekked up to the top of the forested hill that rose behind the main part of the city and spread blankets on the ground to eat their picnic and watch the sun rise over the ocean. Simon squirted Madi with pineapple juice when she started to doze off and she screeched indignantly. Ben managed to intervene before it turned into a full blown food fight but Gigi still managed to smear some cream from her puff pastry on his cheek.

After everyone was full to bursting from their morning feast, Gigi, Madi and Benji were free to go. They ran back down the hill with their arms linked, laughing breathlessly as they almost tumbled headlong to the bottom. They strolled along the beach together, Madi and Gigi walking on either side of Benji. Gigi was staring out at the ships on the horizon, lost in thought until she spotted a figure standing at the end of the beach, in front of the first building erected in Port Aris; which had been turned into a museum.

As they drew closer Gigi realized that it was indeed Link, scribbling something in his field journal. Her heart skipped a couple of beats and she pulled Madi and Benji to a halt.

"That's him!" she whispered excitedly to Madi. "I need to go talk to him."

"I'll cover for you," Madi said, eyes alight with this bit of daring on their part. She hauled Benji away.

"Hey!" he protested. "What's going on?"

"I'll explain it to you when you're older, now come along," Madi replied. Gigi smoothed her pale blue dress and tried to tame her curls before walking closer. Link's head was bent and he was writing something hurriedly in his journal, his brow furrowed in concentration and muttering under his breath. Gigi moved quietly closer, her hands clasped behind her back as she patiently watched and waited for him to finish. When he seemed satisfied that he'd written whatever was so important, he finally snapped the journal shut and raised his head.

"Hello, Link Lincoln," Gigi said, smiling. He jumped nearly three feet in the air and dropped his journal, his face going scarlet.

"Gemma!" he said in surprise. "How...how long have you been standing there?"

"Not long. You looked so into your work that I didn't want to interrupt you."

She bent and retrieved his journal, handing it back to him.

"Well this is a most unexpected surprise," he said, nearly dropping the journal again. Gigi cocked her head.

"You said you wanted to explore Port Aris, right?" she said. "I know all the most interesting places to go that you might not know about if you've never been here before. And I can recite practically the entire history of this place, much better than any museum. Coke for a walk with me."

Link stood stock still for a moment, looking unsure of what to do.

"Come on," Gigi giggled, tugging on his arm. "I don't bite. Hard."

He finally got his feet moving and followed her up the stretch of sandy white.

"Have you lived here your whole life?" Link asked, his curiosity finally overcoming his shyness somewhat.

"Oh, I don't actually live here. Some close family friends do and we come here to visit them."

"Where are you from?"

"All over, I suppose." Gigi shrugged. "My parents have their own ship so I've been sailing around the globe since I was born."

Link went quiet for a while after that and Gigi looked over to see an almost awestruck look on his face. Gigi unlaced her boots and carried them so she could squish the wet sand between her toes. She thought of her family picnic that morning, and how a little further beyond where they had eaten there was a long abandoned little cottage that offered a stunning view of all Port Aris.

"Come on," she said suddenly, smiling brightly as she grabbed Link's hand., startling him. "I have the perfect place to show you, Link Lincoln."