Status: Complete.

Uncharted Waters

Chapter Six

Link had a hard time keeping up with Gigi when he suddenly grabbed his hand and started leading him somewhere. He was clumsier than usual when he was around her. He stammered a lot and couldn’t get his words out properly, and he had a thousand thoughts racing through his mind, none of which he could comprehend. He’d go from worrying about his research to admiring how nice she looked when the light hit her just the right way, right back to worrying about whether or not Gigi had noticed that he’d been staring at her with a slack jaw.

She didn’t seemed jarred by him, excitedly dragging him around through the streets until they arrived at a steep hill. She started up the gravel path twisting around the hill, but Link lingered behind.

“Come on,” she said, rolling her eyes. “I’m not going to murder you. Trust me, you’ll like it.”

Link reluctantly followed her, up the steep hill. She was at least five feet ahead of him at all times, sometimes pausing to let him catch up to her. Clearly, she had no problem climbing up the hill, whereas Link was gasping for air by the time they got to the top. Then again, she claimed to have been adventuring and exploring her whole life, while Link’s biggest adventure was the time he got lost walking home when he was six, and broke his arm slipping on some ice.

When he finally pulled himself together, he saw a small, worn down cottage in front of him. Gigi was beaming, like it was a work of art. It was a little poetic, with the vines climbing up the broken stone walls and the light hitting it from behind to give it a halo, but Link was still a little on edge.

“Who’s house is this?” he asked.

“No one’s,” Gigi shrugged, pushing the front door open. “It’s been here for years, and no one lives in it.”

Link followed her inside, examining the empty interior. She was right. It had been abandoned for years. He ran his finger over the walls, looking around.

“Incredible that it’s still standing,” Link said. “It resembles the sort of cottage an Irish labourer might have lived in. Nothing glamorous, of course. It makes me wonder if this land was once used for farming, long. I doubt this port town existed at the same time as whoever lived here. Can you imagine? All these people gone, and just a few farmers using the land.”

Link had started rambling, but quickly snapped his mouth shut when he realized how boring he must have sounded, talking about old Irish architecture. Most people would have been yawning, but Gigi just smiled at him, listening intently.

“You haven’t seen the best part, yet,” she grinned, moving to the window and opening the creaky shutters.

In front of them was one of the most incredible views Link had seen. You could see the entire town, all the way to the clean beaches outlining it. He couldn't help but laugh a little. He would never have found this place if it weren't for Gigi. Maybe having her around wasn't so bad after all.

“Do you believe in love at first sight?” Gigi asked him.

“What?” Link asked, a little startled by the question.

“Love at first sight,” she repeated. “Seeing someone and knowing right away that they're the one.”

“Well, technically, it would be a more lustful attraction than love,” Link shrugged. “I suppose when you see someone who is your ideal image of a partner, it would invoke a feeling like love.”

“I believe in it,” she said, pointing in the general direction of where the docks were. “My Uncle Simon met his wife right there. My parents say it was love at first sight. She lost her wrap in the wind, and he caught it. They only spent one night together before he had to leave again, but they were married as soon as he returned about a month later.”

“They really fell in love that fast?” Link asked.

“Well, my father says that,” Gigi said, laughing lightly. “My mother says that part of the reason they married so soon was because she was pregnant with twins when he got back and they needed to do it before she started to show. But that's an entirely different story.”

Link laughed, and realized that it must have been the first time he laughed in quite a while. The thought made his heart sink a little.

“So are you here alone?” Gigi asked.

“I might as well be,” he mumbled. “I have a team I work with, but they work a little better together, without me there. I don't like sitting home alone, so I do what I can on my own.”

“But you're so smart and friendly,” Gigi frowned. “How could they not want to spend time with you?”

“They don’t exactly understand half the things I say,” he smirked. “It’s like talking to a bunch of squirrels. They just look at you with this menacing expression, like they’ll jump and attack you if you breathe another word.”

“How much longer will you be staying with them?” Gigi asked.

“Well, I’m afraid I may be going home sooner than anticipated,” Link admitted. “Things haven’t exactly been going our way, with our research and all. The man funding the trip won’t be happy to hear about it. I’ll be back in Boston within the next month. Probably working for my father’s law firm.”

“You’re a lawyer?” Gigi asked curiously.

“I have the education and credentials for it, yes,” Link sighed. “I just haven’t had the heart to practice as one. It’s not my dream.”

Gigi thought for a moment. She’d been frowning ever since he told her he’d be leaving within the next month. She then perked up, grinning again.

“What if I found you another job to fall back on?” she said excitedly. “One where you not only get to see the world, but everyone understands you?”

“I wish you luck with that,” Link chuckled.

“Come on!”

He hadn’t realized Gigi was being serious, but suddenly she had him by the hand again, dragging him back down the hill and along the beach. He could barely keep up with her, but followed her to a grand house near the ocean. Link felt the color drain from his face when he got there, kicking sand off the bottom of his shoes as best he could as they approached. Gigi started towards the front door, but caught side of a little movement around the side of the house, beaming as she dragged Link around that way.

“Gemma, really, a heads up before you take me to homes of people I don’t know would be nice,” he told her, lowering his voice.

“Just trust me, Link Lincoln,” she insisted.

“You know, I do have a last name,” he said.

“What is it?” she asked, stopping to face him.

“Atherton.”

“Lincoln Atherton,” she said slowly. “Link Atherton. Link Lincoln. Come on, Link Lincoln.”

He rolled his eyes, this time letting her drag him since he knew the drill by now. She took him to the figure who’d been moving. Link realized that it was an older man, who must have been Gigi’s father. They looked very much alike, other than Gigi’s bright blue eyes. He was examining the rose bushes, lingering on some red roses with a fond smile on his face. He didn’t initially notice Link, smiling and putting an arm around Gigi when she bounded over to kiss him on the cheek.

“You know, your mother had a rose garden as a child,” he told her. “While she was gone, your grandfather, her father, took care of the roses all on his own so they’d be just as beautiful for the day she returned.”

“I know, you’ve told me this hundreds of times,” Gigi said, rolling her eyes at him.

“Shame they had to sell the property after he passed away,” the man said. “That rose garden meant a lot to your mother, but the new owners didn’t like it very much and had it all removed. I think I may bring her a rose bouquet. Do you think she’ll like that?”

“She likes everything you do, Daddy,” Gigi giggled. “But before you go, there’s someone I’d like you to meet.”

Link felt his blood turn to ice and his face turn pale when Gigi turned her father’s attention to him. He could feel the man’s gaze piercing into his soul. He looked suspicious of Link, and Link found himself taking a small step away from Gigi instinctively.

“This is a new friend of mine,” Gigi introduced.

“My name is Lincoln,” Link said, trying to keep his voice from shaking as he stuck out his hand.

“Benjamin Griffith,” Mr. Griffith said, firmly shaking Link’s hand.

“Link is a really great scholar,” Gigi explained. “He’s interested in science and history, and he wants to learn as much as he can about places all over the world. Just like you. His work isn’t appreciated where he is now, and I knew that you’d appreciate it much more. I know you’ve had your thoughts on taking on an apprentice of your own, and I don’t want to push anyone on to you, but I thought that perhaps you’d like to give Link a try.”

Link tried his best not to blush when Gigi acted like Link was the smartest man in the world, which he certainly wasn’t. Her father’s expression, however, changed. He wasn’t really suspicious of him anymore, but more interested in him. For the first time, he gave Link a friendly smile. He held Gigi’s hand on his right, and put a hand on Link’s shoulder on his left, starting through the garden.

“Let’s take a little walk. You can tell me a little bit about yourself.”