Never Too Late

Twenty Questions

Lacey's Point of View

Nick and I ended up going to a nearby park. We spent the afternoon laying on the ground looking up at the sky, playing a round of twenty questions getting to know each other better.

"So you're telling me your uncles are from My Chemical Romance!?" Nick asked, a little bewildered.

I laughed and said, "Yes. Why is that so shocking to you?"

"It's not shocking me, it's pretty cool," he replied.

I looked at him and let out another laugh. I couldn't believe he was shocked about something like this. He was famous himself and I didn't think anything could surprise him. We both had lost track of time and it started to get late. We walked back to Nick's car and I turned my phone on. I had a bunch of missed calls from Gerard. I texted him saying I was fine and on my way home. I was putting my phone back in my backpack when I heard it vibrate. I looked down and saw it was text from John asking where I was. I sighed and didn't bother to even reply.

"You okay?" Nick asked as he started his car up.

"I'm fine,” I said. “My uncle is worried about me, that’s all.”

"You sighed pretty loud when you got that text,” he pointed out. “Is it your boyfriend?"

"Ha,” I scoffed. “Not a chance. Just someone I thought had changed and never did.”

"Wanna talk about it while I take you home?" he asked.

I wasn't really up to it but I told him anyway. We were almost to my uncles’ place by the time I had finished my story.

"Jesus, that sucks,” he sighed. “What a fucking douche.”

"You know, I really thought he had changed and I should've known he didn't,” I told him. “I guess part of me was hoping he would've.”

"Well, don't worry about him,” he said, and then smiled. “You've got me now.”

I was going to ask what he meant but we pulled into my uncles’ driveway. He put his car in park.

"Well, thanks for today,” I said. “I needed it.”

"No problem,” he replied. “Anytime you need to get away, I'm your go-to guy.”

Why was he being so nice to me? I barely knew him. I opened the door, said goodbye, and headed inside. I knew I was in deep trouble but I didn't really care. I sighed and opened the door. What happened next was to be expected. I got lectured.

"Are you even listening to me?" Gerard finally asked when I didn’t react at all.

"Look, I just couldn't deal with it,” I told him. “People know what happened. It was awkward to deal with so I just left. I'm sorry. It won't happen again.”

Gerard sighed and said, "I'm sorry. I know you've been through enough. I was just worried about you."

"I know,” I said. “I've got some homework to catch up on and I want start on it.”

Gerald nodded and I headed to my room. I changed into some comfy clothes and started in on my homework. I was about to put in my headphones to listen to music when I heard a knock on my door. The door opened seconds later and Lucy was standing there.

"Can we talk?" she asked.

I nodded and she sat down on the bed. I wasn't sure what this was about but I was going to find out.