Never Too Late

Stay the Night

Lacey's Point of View

After we were done with Lucy's friend's concert, we went to McDonalds. I wasn't drunk but just a bit buzzed. Nathan and I went to get a table while Nick and Lucy ordered the food. I didn't know one thing about this guy but I could tell he was drunk off his ass. He looked over at my sister and smiled.

"So you like my sister?" I asked.

"What?” he said like he was surprised. “Psht, no, we’re just friends.”

I rolled my eyes at him. I could tell he was lying to me. I mean, I wasn't going to judge him because I didn't know him at all. But he seemed like he was a good guy and that's what Lucy needed.

"Okay, okay I believe you," I said putting my hands up in defeat.

Nathan started to laugh and I did the same soon after. Nick and Lucy came over with the food a few moments later and we all ate. We made small talk and then went our separate ways. Nick drove me home and it was pretty silent the whole way there. I didn't really know what to say to him.

"I am so sorry about the party," I said finally since that seemed to be what was weighing us down.

"Don't be, he was the one who started it," Nick replied.

"Yes, but I could've walked away and I didn't," I pointed out.

"Lacey you're fine, I’m not mad at you," he told me.

I nodded and decided to let it go. We were pulling onto my uncle's driveway when I saw John's car sitting there.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I rolled my eyes.

Nick put his car in park and turned it off. We both got out and headed towards the door. John got out of his car and started towards us.

"What do you want, John?” I demanded. “It's two thirty in the fucking morning, shouldn’t you be with your girlfriend?"

"We broke up. For real this time. Lacey, I want you back," John begged.

"And I want you off of my uncle's property now,” I replied. “Before Lucy gets here and beats your ass.”

"Lacey, please give me another chance," he pleaded.

"She said leave, so leave," Nick finally said.

John looked at Nick. I put an arm in front of Nick to make sure he didn't do anything stupid.

"This doesn't concern you," John said

"Actually it does,” Nick said. “Lacey is my friend and she told you to leave. She obviously wants nothing to do with you. So do yourself a favor, get your in car and leave. Now."

John scoffed and looked at me. "You’re going to let him talk to me like this?"

"Please just leave, John,” I told him tiredly. “Don’t come back. Don’t text me, don't message me. Just get out of my life.”

John finally took the hint and got in his car and left without another word. I sighed and looked at Nick.

"I'm sorry again,” I said. “I didn’t think he would show up here.”

"Lacey, it's fine, let's just go inside," Nick replied, shaking his head.

I agreed and we headed towards the door. What I saw next was something I was hoping wouldn't get me in trouble. Gerard was standing there in the doorway and by the looks of it, he had heard everything.

"Gerard, look, I'm sorry I didn’t know John was going to show up and start something," I apologized immediately.

Gerard waited a few moments before saying anything.

"It's late, go to bed," he finally said.

I nodded and turned to say goodbye to Nick when Gerard butted in.

"You’re staying, it's too late for you to drive home," he told him.

I was beyond shocked that those words had just come out of my uncle's mouth. Nick nodded obediently and we headed up to my room. I closed the door and turned the light on next to my bed.

"Uh, so I can sleep in the chair if you want the bed," I said awkwardly.

"Or we can just share the bed,” he suggested. “Not like anything is going to happen, Lacey.”

I was taken back by what he had said, but agreed. I went to my bathroom and changed into pajamas and then went back into my room. Nick was already in my bed and I crawled in on the other side. Nick turned the light off and pulled me closer to him. It felt so right but I was terrified about falling for another guy. I wasn't about to make a big deal out of it right then, though. Instead, I closed my eyes and let sleep take over, not knowing what the next day would bring.