‹ Prequel: Through Her Eyes
Status: Complete (Editing)

Thick Smoke

Stuff Happens

Eliza left the girls’ bathroom with another question about a man she has never heard about yet he definitely heard about Ophelia. If anything, her mother’s character seemed to have thickened even more, confusing Eliza as to who she was and what was her relationship with Slytherins in general.

“Tom, Tom, Tom, who are you Tom?” She wandered out loud, walking barefoot to the dormitory while swaying her heels in one hand.

A few days later and Eliza was impossible to find alone; she was mostly with her friends or glued to Hermione, who was actually with Krum from time to time. That was how they found themselves in the library, Krum sitting at a table with his classmates, watching Eliza and Hermione studying.

“Don’t you feel uncomfortable? Blimey, he’s staring with everything he’s got,” Eliza mumbled, feeling like Krum might as well move at their table and make it even worse.

“He’s just watching; doesn’t say much anyway. Why don’t you tell me what were you doing with Malfoy?” She whispered, leaning curiously towards the brunette.

Eliza scoffed and quickly brushed Hermione off, that subject being gone and done with from the moment he called her Black. She didn’t want to see him nor speak about him, or anything regarding that prat.

“What about Harry? Has he figured that egg out?”

Hermione chuckled, realizing she changed the subject the same she does with Ron; but she wasn’t Ronald and knew better. Actually, being the smart and perceptive girl she was, Hermione realized just what kind of personality had Eliza: she was brave and kind hearted, she was treasuring things that she never experienced before but she wasn’t good at expressing herself and was blunt thus making her look rude and stuck up.

“Yes. Tomorrow is the day of the second task,” Hermione trailed, glancing at Krum over Eliza’s shoulder.

“I’m sure he will be fine,” Eliza leaned in and whispered, the smart witch quickly turning towards her green eyed friend with narrowed eyes, “I was talking about Harry,” Eliza added, a smirk forming on her lips seeing Hermione’s deer-caught-in-headlight expression.

Image

At dinner, right after she finished her pumpkin dessert, she got a letter from a mysterious person in which she had to go in the dungeons because he or she had something vital to tell her. Sensing that it may be a false alarm sent by a Slytherin -she already had a few ideas whom, truthfully. However, as she was getting out of the Great Hall, Snape cornered her and dragged her with him into his office, which was interestingly enough in the dungeon.

“What is this about?” She asked, swaying from one foot to the other as she was following her teacher.

Snape only glanced at her over his shoulder, in that specific way of his, like he was doing it only because he was forced by circumstances; he wasn’t in this case because he told her to follow him in the first place.

“Is it about my little slip of silver in Seamus’ Sleeping Draught? In my defense, I thought it was Flint’s cauldron and was expecting it to turn dark purple and get him unconscious for a bit,” She gave herself out, knowing that Snape probably already knew.

The teacher rolled his eyes, opening the doors when they finally arrived in front of the classroom, letting her enter after him.

“It has been brought to my attention that you have been waving your hands in front of Mr Malfoy and Mr Crabbe. I thought I made myself clear when I told you not to expose yourself,” He slurred, sounding quite mad but it was hard to recognize how much madder than usually.

“It happened,” She explained in a vague way because seriously she had no idea how to explain what happened on that day; she didn’t want to remember, actually. “It happened,” She repeated, her eyes widening slightly, trying to look innocent.

“He instructed a house elf to bring him information about Ophelia. Fortunately, I intercepted it and gave him irrelevant information,” He started, glowering at the brunette with malicious eyes.

“So Molley wasn’t a muggle family and my mother wasn’t adopted?” Eliza asked slowly, scanning Snape’s face for any hint that would give him away; his face was blank unfortunately.

“That is correct. I didn’t give him false information; I only retained her years during and after graduating Hogwarts. Mr Malfoy is not an idiot and would have noticed the discrepancies in the file.” He stated calmly as he walked around his desk and sat, his eyes looking at Eliza like he was on a pedestal.

“But he knew about Ophelia and Sirius’ relationship. He told me that at the ball and he was quite assured of what he was babbling about,” Eliza calmly continued, already getting used to the way she would feel a constant tug at her memories whenever she was around Snape.

There was something to remember but she wasn’t completely sure in what way or what would trigger that special forgotten memory.

The professor seemed genuinely surprised, which instantly made Eliza panic in her head. Malfoy found out about her parents by mere coincidence, hopefully, and he wasn’t going to divulge her secret, again hopefully, but she couldn’t depend on that idea. Draco was swimming in rough waters and if he was going to drown, he was going to take her down with him; and it all begun from her.

“I will have to talk to him about that,” He mumbled, moving his hands around, looking for some kind of papers.

“By the way, have you professor sent me a letter to meet you in the dungeons?” She asked warily, fully aware that it wasn’t him but it was going to quirk his curiosity and might as well find that out for her.

Snape grunted and shifted his full attention on the papers he found, subtly forcing her to leave. She sighed and walked around for an hour before she realized whoever set the trap wasn’t a very patient person and left already; or he probably saw her with Snape and got scared. Anyhow, no one suspicious caught her eye among the random Slytherins roaming around.

Image

That night, Eliza couldn’t sleep and walked around, ending up on the Wood Bridge again. The wind was blowing softly, announcing the upcoming spring and she couldn’t wait for the tournament to be over and get home to Remus and Sirius. Eliza closed her eyes and leaned her head back while holding the railing tightly; that year has been uncontrollable and not because her magic was getting out of hand but because she found herself between a boy who was barging into her familial life and a boy whose name was making her tremble. When Eliza opened her eyes she got taken aback by the ex-auror, Moody. She jumped slightly, feeling a mix of feelings just by his presence.

“Listen Molley, last time I might have crossed the line,” He started in that hurried way of his. She scoffed and took one step away from him, just in case.

“Bullocks, you enjoyed it,” She firmly accused him, sneering at the professor. “You are a psychopath; enjoying the pain and fear inflicted on others; that is not normal.” She continued, scowling at him from the side.

Instead of feeling offended, he started to laugh loudly, “Your mother said that before. I believe she called me a sadistic murderer,” He trailed, remembering the times he knew Ophelia and spoke to her. “Well, I am here and she is gone. Her death was an unfortunate event; she has been an important asset,” He started to ramble on his own, of course getting a quick drink along.

Eliza tilted her head to the side and grasped the railing tighter, “What is it that you drink so often?”

“Juice,” He responded right away, making her roll her eyes but he started to laugh again; he was messing with her and that was definitely not juice. “The second task is right around the corner. You should go rest for the big event. I’m sure Potter won’t have any troubles finishing this one triumphantly as well,” He chuckled before starting to make his way back in the castle.

Eliza stood there, watching him from behind, expecting him to spontaneously vanish, like he was a ghost. Nothing happened, only the soft sound of his leg and a few swears spoken once he entered the corridors. It was the silence before the storm and in the distance, she could see it, feel it; the unexplainable was coming; that haze no one could fight against.