Status: Finished!

The Elastic Heart Trilogy: Until It's Gone

Part 3 - All Grown Up

"Do you have any idea how old I feel right now?" Jen whispered to Brian as she watched other parents sit down to watch their children graduate.

"I'm right there with you babe." He put his around around her and pulled her close to kiss the side of her head. "Thank god we won't have to do this again for another ten years."

"Sorry we're late." Mike announced as he and Anna took their seats. "The sitter was late."

"It's alright. The ceremony hasn't even started yet." Jen told him. Riley was only given a small amount of tickets to attend the graduation ceremony so not everyone could come. Brian offered to video tape it on his phone to show them later. They were taking Riley out for dinner to celebrate.

After Riley's 'breakdown' two years before she had completely turned her life around. She threw herself into school and worked hard to be one of the top graduates in her class. She'd changed her attitude and how she treated people knowing if she didn't she'd lose them forever. Her dream of being a famous singer lasted about a month and while she still loved the CD she had recorded with Mike the fear of being on stage in front of so many people scared the hell out of her. She was much more comfortable not being in the public eye.

As much as she loved to draw and paint she had a real love for writing. She'd even joined the school newspaper. By the end of her senior year she'd become an editor and had several different columns for everyone to read. Riley loved it so much she wanted to make a career out of it. She'd had several long talks with Anna since she was an author herself and knew this was what she really wanted to do. She wanted to further her education and eventually write a novel or work for a famous magazine.

She'd sat with her parents and looked at all of the schools that offered Journalism. While going to a school nearby was a nice thought she wanted to be somewhere different. Somewhere that no one knew her and where she wouldn't be judged. She wanted to stay in California if she could but Riley was okay going out of state depending on the location. After narrowing down her choices to ten she began to send out her college applications. There were three schools that she really wanted to go to and if she got acceptance letters from any of them she would have been happy.

"I did it Mom!" Riley said the second she jumped into Jen's arms. The ceremony was now over and Riley had her diploma in her hands.

"I'm so proud of you." Jen said as she held her.

"Can we take some pictures before we go?"

"Of course."

Riley posed for all of the pictures she wanted to take. Once she was satisfied she was ready to leave. She'd been so nervous that she hadn't had anything to eat and she was starving. All she wanted was to go to the restaurant and pig out.

And that's exactly what she did.

------


In August Jen went with Riley to move her into her dorm room. Although she could easily afford to have her own apartment she wanted the full college experience. She was glad to have the alone time with her mom though. It brought back memories of when it was just the two of them.

Riley's roommate wouldn't be there for a few more days so it gave her a chance to get a feel for the place. She was able to choose which side of the room she wanted. To decorate as much as she could and unpack. She didn't want to have to do all of that with her roommate around.

Jen was staying for a week in a hotel a few miles away from the dorms. Riley had asked her to stay so she wouldn't be alone. She needed her mom right now and Jen was not about to say no. She would have stayed even if Riley wouldn't have asked.

"Thanks for helping me Mom." Riley said as she and Jen began to unpack some of her boxes.

"No need to thank me sweetie."

"I know it's just.. this is a really big thing for me and I'm glad that you're here."

Jen couldn't help but smile. "You know that I can't move up here right?"

"I know." Riley chuckled softly. "I know I'll be fine. I guess I just wanted some Mother/Daughter time. It's been a while."

"Yeah it has." Jen decided that it was time for a break and sat down on Riley's bed. "I feel like we haven't really spent a lot of time together lately."

Riley sat down beside her. "I'm sorry that I've been such a pain in the ass."

"I know but I'm glad that you've learned from it. At least I hope you have."

"Oh trust me I have." She cringed at the thought of Cali going off on her. She knew there would be a lot of backlash but she was just happy that Cali hadn't beaten the shit out of her. Even though she probably wanted to.

After a short break Jen and Riley got back to work unpacking the boxes. Everything had been labeled so it made putting things away much easier. Riley's desk had drawers that locked which is where she planned on keeping most of her things. Brian had even gotten her a safe that she was going to keep beside her bed. No one knew the combination except her, Jen, and Brian.

"You know that if you need us that we're only a phone call away right?" They were now sitting in Riley's living room having Chinese take out for dinner.

"I know. I'm really going to miss you."

"Not more than I'm going to miss you."

Jen pulled Riley to her and kissed her cheek. "I love you."

Riley smiled. "I love you too Mom."

------


Jen had been cleaning like a mad woman. It wasn't that the house was a mess she just wanted everything to be perfect. Riley was coming to visit and she couldn't be happier. It felt like it had been ages since she had last seen her daughter but she understood why. Riley was a now a mom herself. To a beautiful little girl named Olivia.

Riley met her now husband Jason in college. A mutual friend had introduced them and they became fast friends. It was at least two years before Jason finally asked her out on a date. They've now been married for just over a year. Riley was pregnant with Olivia when they got married.

"Anybody home?"

Jen practically ran through the house until she got to the front door. Riley was nothing but smiles with a very happy Olivia in her arms. They hugged before Jen took Olivia and gave her kisses all over her face. They were staying for a week and Jen couldn't be happier.

"Where's Jason?"

"He's getting the bags out of the car." Riley explained just before Jason made his way inside the house with two suitcases in his hands. There were more things so he was going to have to make a second trip.

"Is Dad still on tour?" Riley knew there was a chance that he wouldn't be home. It seemed that every time she came to visit that he was gone.

"Yeah." Jen frowned. "He won't be back until next month."

"Where is he this time?"

"Europe. He did ask me to tell you that he loves you and that he'll come visit as soon as he can."

"Alright."

Jen, Riley, Jason, and Olivia spent the afternoon at the house. Jen made them lunch and once Olivia went down for a nap Jason decided to give them some privacy. He'd been to Huntington Beach enough times to know his way around so Riley didn't have to worry about him getting lost.

"So how long has Dad been gone?" Riley asked as she and Jen made themselves on Jen and Brian's bed.

"Two Months."

Riley sighed. "You could have gone with him. I know Grandpa would have taken Addie and Brayden."

"I know but you know how I feel about being here when you guys are in school. Besides, he'll be home soon."

Jen and Riley continued to talk about random things until Olivia woke up from her nap. Shortly after that it was time to get Addison from school. Tonight was her first soccer game as a Freshman at Huntington Beach High School. Jason had offered to pick up Brayden so Jen wouldn't have to rush to get him and get Addison ready for her game.

Olivia was all smiled as she sat on Jen's lap. Addison was warming up and making faces at her in between kicks. Riley felt her phone vibrate in her pocket and checked to see who had just texted her.

Grab Liv from your Mom's lap. - Dad

Confused Riley did as she was told and looked to her left seeing Brian standing there.

"Oh my god Dad!" Addison screamed and made a mad dash for Brian. She jumped into his arms just as Brayden noticed him and got up from the bleachers he was sitting on to run to him.

"Go Mom." Riley had to practically push Jen out of her set to get her moving.

Addison let go so Brayden could hug him before they both moved so their Mom could have her turn.

"I thought that.."

"Matt's sick. Doctors said he needs to rest his voice so the rest of the tour was canceled. Come here." Reaching out Brian grabbed Jen's hand and pulled her into his arms.

Riley watched with a smile on her face at how happy her parents were. All she ever wanted was for her Mom to be happy and she was. With the man that dropped everything to raise her. She hoped that she'd be half as great as a Mom as Jen had been to her. Now that Riley had a family of her own she understood the sacrifices her parents made for her. How'd they do anything to her to be happy. She and Jason did that for Olivia and she'd do that for any other children they'd have. There wasn't anything that she wouldn't do for her daughter.

Watching her parents kiss didn't gross her out like it did when she was younger. They were still just as much in love with each other as they had been when they were teenagers and Riley hoped that her love for Jason was just as strong years down the road.

Brian eventually broke away from Jen and headed over to the bleachers to greet his family. Addison's game was about to start and he didn't want to distract anyone so as soon as he sat down he took Olivia in his arms and blew a raspberry on her belly. She laughed and reached for his hair.

"I don't think so Livy. You know my hair is off limits." He held her far enough away so she couldn't reach his hair.

"It's just hair Dad. It's not like it won't grow back." Riley reached out and tugged on his hair.

Brian glared. "Riley Jade.."

"Yes Daddy?" She smiled sweetly at him.

"Just remember..." He leaned in to whisper in her ear. "..pay back is a bitch."

Her eyes widened. "You wouldn't."

He grinned. "I would."

Jen smiled as she watched them. She was so happy to have her family back together even if it was only for the week. She was thankful for anytime she had with them. Life was short and she knew that but she wouldn't trade her life for anything in the world. This was the life she was meant to have.

And she loved it.
♠ ♠ ♠
THE END!!!!!
I hope you enjoyed The Elastic Heart Trilogy. Thank you so much for reading!

Jen - Riley's Graduation
Riley - Graduation/Dinner
Riley - College Dorm
Jen - College Dorm
Riley - Visiting Home
Jen - Riley Visiting
Olivia - Visiting