Tennessee Rose

How did we fall apart,without asking ourselves why?

Gunner

It’s been a couple days since Presley arrived in Nashville with her bodyguard Jimmy. She’s been laying low and watching every single entertainment news show as well as every gossip talk show. She’s reading every tweet she gets and every comment she finds on her facebook page and youtube page. Some are negative but others; well they are actually sweet. She reads them aloud and cries. She feels guilty about the things she’s kept from her fans and she feels guilty for hiding out when she should be explaining herself. She touched by their kind words, however, they don’t make the negative ones disappear.

Tonight is the first time I’ve seen her in the bar since she arrived. She’s still keeping a low profile by hiding in the back with shades over her eyes. There is no band playing tonight so she’s using the VIP section the band’s girlfriends or wives would sit in. No one has noticed her sitting there. The only people that have even bothered to talk to her are Jesse and Sutton. I haven’t even made my way back there. I’ve been giving her some space since she got here. I figured she wouldn’t want to talk to me too much; not after she came clean to me about a few of her secrets. But ever so often, I look up and see her looking at me; smiling.

“Presley is here tonight,” Sutton casually tells me as she makes her way up to the bar to pick up the drinks I just made; a whiskey straight and a Moscow Mule. “She brought a notebook too. So you know what the means.”

“She’s sketching me like one of her french girls?” I joke, causing Sutton to laugh. “So she’s writing, what’s the big deal?”

“It’s been forever since she has written in this bar,” Sutton shrugs. “And she told me some of her biggest hits were written here. I’m just saying, this is a good sign for good things to come.”

“Whatever you say Sutton,” I chuckle. “Does she need anything?”

“Why don’t you go over there and ask her yourself?” She smirks. “It seems like you’re the only one she wants to really talk to anymore. She won’t even tell me anything about her rumors. I thought I was her best friend.” Sutton frowns.

“Give her time,” I tell her. “You know Presley, she’ll come around and tell you everything.”

“What’s so bad that she wants to keep things a secret to everyone but you?”

“Just trust me on this, give her time.” I say before walking from behind the bar and towards Presley.

“Hey stranger,” she smiles as she looks up at me from her notebook. “I was wondering when you were going to come by.”

“I thought you might want space after the other night.” I reply. “How are you?”

“Despite everything that has happened, I’m just dandy. I’m inspired to write for the first time in a while. So there’s a brightside to this afterall.”

“Can I read what you have?” I ask, despite already knowing the answer. Her answer to this question has been the same since I’ve met her.

“Once it’s done, I’ll let you read.” She replies, shocking me. She usually says no. Even when we started dating, I was never allowed to read her lyrics. I wonder what suddenly changed.

“Wow, I was expecting a no,” I admit with a chuckle.

“Things change,” she laughs. “Plus I need a songwriter’s opinion on a few songs.”

“Just like old times, huh?” I smirk, causing her to laugh,

“Yea just like old times.”

“Hey, I’m getting off soon. 70 Proof Whiskey has a gig tonight at The Dive; want to come?”

“You’re asking me to hang out and watch you perform?” She sounds confused and shocked. “I figured you’d didn’t want me anywhere near your music again.”

“You could use a change of scenery.” I chuckle. “Maybe it’s time for you to actually enjoy a concert instead of performing and doing your job.”

“Why are you being so nice to me?” She asks. “You, out of everyone here, has the right to hate me.”

“You may have broken my heart and for awhile I thought you sold out for fame. But until recently, I didn’t realize you sold your soul to the devil and was trying to get back to your roots. The Presley I loved is coming back. Right down to her Tennessee accent. Plus you were my muse for most of the songs that got us somewhat popular. It’s about time you heard them.”

“And you really think listening to my ex diss me in songs is going to make me feel better?” A sarcastic laugh escapes her lips. “I’d love to go but I’m trying to keep a low profile for a bit longer. Besides I highly doubt Brett and everyone would be happy to see me.”

“They’re actually on your side,”I inform her. “Brett and Daniels want to kick Ian’s ass for all the bullshit he’s causing. They’re still protective of you after all these years.”

She smiles. “Next gig I’ll go. Maybe by then I’ll be yesterday’s news and not the hottest topic on Wendy Williams.”

“You can’t let them run your life.” I tell her. “You got to stand up and show them their words don’t affect you.”

“Gunner,” she sighs as she runs her fingers through her blonde hair. “That’s easier said than done. Trust me, if I could do that; it'll already be done.”

“Sooner or later, the girl I fell in love with will come back,” I tell her. “I’m just hoping it’s sooner rather than later. The Presley I knew wouldn’t let the paparazzi get to her. She’d fight back. Just remember that.” I walk away, leaving her alone with her thoughts.

“Hey Sutton, I’m leaving early,” I tell her. “You okay til Britta gets here?”

“Yea, I’m fine.” She smiles. “Good luck tonight. Blow everyone away.”

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” I smile at her before looking back at Presley, who has gone back to writing. A sigh escapes my lips and I turn back around and leave the building. Someday Presley will come back; and I know I won’t be ready for that day….
♠ ♠ ♠
Presley

Two questions; 1) What are your thoughts on the speed of the story. Going too fast? Too Slow? Or just right?
2) Did you guys like the flashbacks? Want me to bring them back?

comment&subscribe?