The Assassin's Folly

Chapter Six

Jareth found it hard to focus at work on Saturday. He kept thinking about the previous night. He could feel warmth whenever he thought about her. He had texted her the information for his brother but she hadn’t responded.

The door opened and Hailey walked in with his niece, Jenny.

“Hey brother!” she said and gave him a hug.

He hugged her back. “How did you know I was in the office today?”

“Dad told me. I was hoping you could watch Jenny for a few minutes.”

“Sure,” he said and Jenny hopped onto his lap. She giggled when he handed her his pocket watch. “Where are you headed?”

“Dad’s Christmas gift is waiting for me at the Post Office. When I get back, you’ll have to tell me all about your new girlfriend.” Jareth nodded, distracted by Jenny then blushed. She giggled. “Again, Dad told me about it.”

She left and Jareth bounced Jenny on his leg while he sorted out papers on his desk. He didn’t get to spend a lot of time with Jenny and was pleased even though they couldn’t play. Hailey returned about 15 minutes later with coffee for the two of them. Jenny had fallen asleep and he put her on the couch in his office.

“So what’s your girlfriend’s name?” she asked as they sat down.

“I don’t know if she’s exactly my girlfriend,” he said slowly. “Her name is Zarah.”

“What does she do for a living?”

He frowned. “I don’t know, come to think of it.” He took a sip of his coffee. “I need some advice.”

“Of course,” she said and leaned forward.

“I had dinner at her apartment last night,” he said, his face going red. “And things got a little….”

Hailey started laughing. “I keep forgetting you’re still untouched.”

He groaned. “I hate it when you use that word.”

She giggled. “Well, what happened?”

“Her cat got in the way.” She laughed again. “Are we moving too fast?”

She thought for a minute. “How long have you known her?”

“A week,” he said. “It was kind of an instant attraction, I guess.”

“Do you think you’re moving too fast?”

“I just don’t know,” he groaned. “After Elizabeth….”

“You can’t use her as a comparison,” she said. “That woman was a bitch and we all know she used you for your money.” When he still looked confused, she said, “How about this? Let’s have a double date, you, me, and James. We’ll go Tuesday night. That way we can meet her and maybe you’ll feel a little better about it.”

He smiled at her. “You’re the best.”

“I know,” she said and winked at him.

-

Jareth fell asleep that night feeling a little optimistic. He had called Zarah to suggest getting together on Tuesday and she had agreed. He got a good vibe from her. But there was still the question of is it real or just a front for his money?

Unfortunately, his sleep wasn’t as optimistic as he had hoped. He dreamed that he was in bed with Zarah. She was on top of him, kissing him. She pulled away and smiled at him. When she did, her front teeth extended into sharp fangs. He began to scream as she plunged her teeth into his throat.

Jareth sat up, sweating. He looked around wildly until he realized it really was just a nightmare. He wiped the sweat off his forehead and glanced at his phone. It was three in the morning. He closed his eyes and forced himself to think of something else until he once again drifted off.

When he woke later, he didn’t remember a thing.

-

It wasn’t until Monday afternoon when he heard back from Zarah about his brother. He was sitting in the conference room eating lunch when she called. He grinned and answered cheerfully.

“I found your brother,” she said grimly and his mouth went dry.

“Where is he?” he whispered. She didn’t say anything and he got a sudden feeling of dread. “Zarah, where is he?”

“I’m sorry, Jareth,” she whispered and he dropped his fork. “He got mixed up in drugs and was murdered in his home a year and a half ago. When the police found him they tried looking for family but-”

“He had already disowned us,” he finished. His blood ran cold. “How can I possibly tell my father? This will kill him for sure.”

His eyes began to sting and he squeezed them shut.

“Do you want me to call you later?” she asked. “After you’ve had some time?”

He tried to speak but a sob escaped his throat.

“I have to go,” he choked out and hung up.

He buried his face into his hands and cried. When he had composed himself, he dialed his sister’s number.

“Hailey, I need you to come to the office. Now.”

“Is everything ok?” she asked, sounding worried.

“No. Please, just come up.”

-

Hailey collapsed into the chair an hour later. She was already crying and he sat beside her and took her hand.

“Have you told Dad yet?” she whispered.

“No. I have no idea how I’m going to. It was one of his last wishes to see Marcus again.”

Hailey started crying again and he hugged her. They sat in silence the rest of the afternoon, ignoring the office phone as it rang. Around 4:30, their father entered Jareth’s office, looking very upset.

“I’ve called down here a dozen times!” he yelled. “If this is the way you’re going to run my company-” He stopped when he saw their faces. “What is it?”

“Oh, Daddy!” cried Hailey and she ran to him, crying into his chest. “It’s Marcus!”

“Wh-What about Marcus?” his father asked weakly.

“You should sit down,” Jareth said quietly and his father stumbled to the couch. “Zarah found Marcus,” he explained, gripping one of his father’s hands. “He- He got mixed up with the wrong crowd not long after he left us. They… they found him in his apartment.”

Mr. Adams stared between his two children, expecting them to start laughing, saying “Gotcha!” but when neither of them did, his face crumpled and he howled in despair.

Hailey held him close while Jareth continued to cry quietly. His phone buzzed and he glanced at it. Zarah was calling him. He looked at Hailey who nodded and he left the room.

“Hello,” he said, trying to hide his tears.

“Do you need me to come up there?” she asked without hesitation.

He swallowed thickly. “We just told my dad.” He could hear his father sobbing. “He’s not taking it very well.” He swallowed again, trying to contain his sobs but he slid to the floor.

Zarah hung up and he put his head on his knees. What seemed like merely seconds later, two soft hands were taking his own and he looked up. Zarah was kneeling in front of him, her eyes showing nothing but sympathy. Inside his office, his father was still crying. Between that, knowing that his brother was dead before they could make amends, and seeing Zarah had come just for him broke down his wall and he burst in to tears.

Zarah sat in front of him and held him close. He sobbed into her shoulder and she ran her hand up and down his back, rocking him a little. He could hear people walking by and whispering but he didn’t care. All he cared about was the sudden feeling of emptiness deep in his heart.