Unpredictable

4

I woke up to an empty bed and sighed, but I surprisingly felt okay. I rolled over and felt a piece of paper on Calum's pillow. Smiling, I read it over.

Morning Princess,
Went to the studio today with Mikey. I scheduled your doctor's appointment for noon and asked Jess to go with you so you'd actually go. I'm worried about you. Let me know how it goes. Love you.


I groaned. The doctor was not my favorite place in the world, and I actually felt okay, besides being extremely tired, but I knew there was no way to get out of this.

Getting out of bed, I stretched and yawned before rubbing my eyes and going downstairs to find a sad looking Ashton Irwin sitting on my couch, his head in his hands. I sighed and made my way over there, resting a hand on his knee.

"What's up, Ash?" I asked softly.

He looked up, a frown on his face, just as Luke entered the room.

"Jess is going on a date with some other guy." Luke supplied, sitting down next to his best friend.

I groaned, rubbing my eyes in frustration.

"It's such a dick, move, I know, Ash." I tried my best to comfort him.

"Do you know why?" He asked softly. "Why she would do this?"

I closed my eyes, and waited a second before speaking.

"She's really just not ready to commit herself to someone who leaves all the time, Ash." I decided to be blunt.

Ashton took a shaky breath.

"That's not fair!" His voice cracked. "This is my job! I can't change that!"

"Ash." Luke sighed. "None of us have relationships for this reason. It's hard to commit."

I bit my lip and shifted in my seat.

"It just sucks." Ash deflated.

I decided this was no longer a conversation I needed to be a part of, so I squeezed Ashton's shoulder before getting up and going to the kitchen to have breakfast, I was starving. I quickly poured a bowl of cereal and ate it, then poured 2 more before I looked at the time, noting I had no real time to get ready.
I sighed, and went upstairs to pull on leggings and a shirt before going back downstairs, where Jess was waiting out in her car, not wanting to come in and see Ashton. I groaned at the childish behavior.

"Where are you going?" Luke asked.

"Out. With Jess." I answered, not missing the way Ashton flinched.

"When will you be home? I miss you." My brother pouted. "And we leave again soon."

As if I needed that reminder.

"We can hang out all day tomorrow, bro, okay?"

Luke beamed, and I smiled back, ruffling his hair, bidding Ashton a small smile before going out the door.

I slid into Jess's car and she shot me a small smile.

"How're you feeling?" She asked softly.

"Tired." I mumbled. "But actually okay."

"Calum was so worried about you." She smiled fondly. "He woke me up at 7 this morning."

I groaned, a small smile creeping onto my face.

"Sorry about that."

"It's okay. Let's just go figure out what's wrong."

I nodded, pulling out my phone to send Calum a quick text.

on my way to the doctor's. will update soon. love you, baby.

We got to the doctor's office about 20 minutes later, and walked inside to the waiting room, where I filled out some paperwork, nervously bouncing my leg up and down.

"Kenz, relax." Jess urged, putting a hand on my knee.

Just then, a nurse appeared, calling me back.

"Can she come with me?" I asked, gesturing to Jess, biting my lip. The nurse smiled softly, nodding her head.

A few minutes later, the doctor came back to the small room.

She started asking me the basic questions like whether I'm sexually active, whether I smoke, drink, etc.

"Now, Mackenzie, tell me why you're here today."

"Uhm. I've been really tired for a week now. Like, really tired. And sore. And yesterday, I threw up, but today, I'm fine."

The doctor nodded along with me, writing something down on her clipboard and then pulling a small plastic cup from the drawer.

"I want you to pee into this cup, Mackenzie. I think I know what's going on with you, I just want to be sure."

I nodded, taking the cup and going into the bathroom. Once I peed into it and handed it off, she told us to wait, and she'd be back soon with results.

I bit my thumbnail and looked nervously at my best friend.

"What if I'm dying?"

Jess laughed, patting my knee.

"You're not dying, Kenz. Relax."

I kept biting my nail until the doctor walked back in, a clipboard in her hand.

"Well, it's just as I thought, Mackenzie." She said softly, coming to sit in front of me, patting my knee.

"You're pregnant."

Time stopped as my mouth dropped open, the signs all coming together in my mind. How did I miss this?

"I-I'm..." I stuttered, as Jess gripped my hand.

"You're 5 weeks pregnant, Mackenzie." She said softly. "So, a little over a month."

I gulped, nodding, knowing that would have been when Calum came home.

"Now, you're really young. Only 17, right?"

I nodded once, blushing.

"Since you're so young, you're considered a high risk pregnancy, so I want you to come back in 2 weeks for your first ultrasound, okay? And we can talk then about options and treatment going forward."

I nodded again, my thoughts going a mile a minute, mainly slapping myself for doing this.

The doctor nodded, leaving the room.

Once she was gone, I turned to Jess.

"Well, what the hell am I going to do now?"