Unpredictable

5

We sat in the car in the doctor's office parking lot, and I was trying to form words in the silence.

"You've gotta tell Calum." Jess said softly. "He'll help you decide the next step, yeah?"

"I...I- what if he leaves me?" I stuttered, speaking my thoughts out loud.

"What are you talking about? He would never! Calum loves you, Mackenzie."

"But you said it yourself. They're leaving soon. Then what?"

I wiped furiously at my eyes as the tears started.

"This is something Calum will help you with, okay?" Jess replied, gripping my hand. "Just call him and tell him you wanna talk, and go talk to him. Figure this shit out."

I sighed, knowing she was right. I pulled out my phone with shaky hands and dialed his number.

He picked up after 2 rings, and I heard the noisy studio in the background.

"Hello?" He said softly.

"C-Calum." I choked out, as Jess gripped my hand tighter.

I heard Calum moving, and the sound of a door shutting, and then silence, meaning he had moved out of earshot of everyone, outside.

"Kenzie, what's happening?" He questioned. "Are you okay, baby?"

The word 'baby' made me sob harder, and Calum sighed.

"Mackenzie, you're scaring me, love. Can you go to my house? Nobody is home right now. Use my key I gave you and let yourself in and I'll get there as soon as possible, okay? Just breathe. I love you so much, whatever is happening."

I nodded, then realized he couldn't see, and I had to verbally reply.

"I-I love you too, Calum."

I hung up and Jess squeezed my hand for comfort once more before turning on the car and driving toward Calum's house. When we got there, she made me promise to call her and tell her how it went before I went up to his house and let myself in.

I trudged my way up the stairs to Calum's bedroom and plopped down on his bed, fisting his comforter between my hands.

It lasted only a minute before I was up and running to his bathroom to throw up.

As I was finishing, a hand pulled my hair back. Calum kissed the back of my head and flushed the toilet before picking me up bridal style and carrying me back to his bed.

It was silent for a moment as we tangled our legs together before he spoke.

"Love, you've got to tell me what's going on." He said slowly. "What did the doctor say?"

I whined pitifully, burying my face in his chest.

"Promise you won't leave me." I whimpered out.

"What?" Calum said, shocked. "Mackenzie, sit up and look me in the eye."

He gently pulled me up so I was looking at him.

"I will not leave you, sweetpea. Ever. You're stuck with me no matter what happened today, okay? You thinking I would ever do that is insane to me. I love you."

I took a deep breath and looked Calum in the eye.

"C-Calum, I'm pregnant."

He stilled, and the room became quiet. Too quiet. I started to cry again at the thought that he would up and leave right then.

"I-it's okay if you wanna break your promise and leave me now. I'm young, only 17, and she said that means it's high risk, whatever that means, and and I know you have to leave with the band, and this is horrible timing and I just... You can leave, Cal-"

I was cut off with his lips moving against mine. When he broke apart, he was grinning, his forehead against mine.

"I-I'm gonna be a dad?" His voice broke.

"Y-you're happy?" I asked.

He grinned, wiping a tear from his eye.

"Of course I'm happy, Mackenzie. Yes, this is not ideal timing, but I want a family with you anyway, babe. It's just a little early."

My heart melted and I threw myself into his arms. He chuckled and pushed me back a little, lifting up my shirt to kiss my still flat stomach.

"This means we're going to have to tell, like, our families and Luke and stuff about us. And it means a lot of damage control. But we can handle it." He murmured, straightening back up.

I bit my lip in thought.

"I don't want to tell our families until after the first ultrasound." I said.

Calum smiled, and kissed my knuckles.

"Okay love, whatever you're comfortable with. But I do think we should tell them we've been dating before then. So that way they can get used to the fact that we're in a committed relationship before we tell them this."

I nodded, knowing that was the best idea, and yawned.

Calum chuckled and kissed the top of my head.

"Go to sleep, sweetpea. You must be exhausted."

I nodded and snuggled closer to Calum as we fell asleep together, his hand placed securely on my stomach.