Made Up Stories.

Archives.

‘Excuse me, is Jack Barakat here’ ‘do you know how many women’ ‘do you know how many people run music museums in this city’ passing her card over, ‘fine, fine, one minute’. Jack smiled, ‘you want to talk to me’ ‘I do, can we talk privately, I’m Doctor Lucy Drake’ walking with him, ‘of course, you’re from a music museum’ ‘indeed’ Lucy smiled, ‘we have an exhibition space and we wanted to do something a little different and pop punk from yourselves, The Dangerous Summer, Diamond Youth, Good Charlotte have been hugely influential’ Jack grinned, ‘and we’d like to do something that covers that, of course we’d like to work with you on exhibits’ ‘where is it?’ ‘We bought The Recher back into public use, we have bands plays the place, orchestra local talent, we hoped we could do that, and I saw on Twitter, you posted one of your first sets’ ‘you want to do an exhibition on pop punk’ ‘if you had time to work with us on it as well’ ‘fuck yes’ ‘I know you begun the band so’ ‘thank you’.

Lucy smiled meeting him, ‘I’ll just show what we’re working with’ he grinned, ‘I’ve been finding early stuff for you’ ‘thank you’ he grinned, ‘this is the exhibit we’re working with’ Jack smiled ‘are you in charge of it’ ‘indeed, I’m the curator for this work’ ‘I am friends with people from a lot of the bands you mentioned when we met, I can ask them if they can add anything’ ‘thank you, all we have is the archive of posters we found in this building we’re working from, we’re working with Alternative Press on this, the Pier, Ram’s Head Live, bands like The Dangerous Summer, Clutch and Pianos Become The Teeth, some of it is going to be alternative for example, but of course pop punk is what this city does best’ ‘agreed, what’s your thesis on?’ ‘I did mine on the impact of the Rat Pack, but I wanted to do it on the impact of Blink 182, but it was comtemporary’ rolling her eyes, ‘do you like jazz and swing’ ‘indeed, grew up with it’ talking and showing the museum, ‘I can’t wait to tell the others’ ‘can’t wait to see it finished’.

‘We’re going to be in a museum exhibit’ ‘sorry’ ‘I’m working with the Maryland Museum of Music’s curator, they’re doing an exhibition on bands in alternative’ Alex grinned, ‘that’s awesome’ ‘I’m getting thing together from our youth together to put on display’ ‘that’s cool’ Zack nodded, ‘when does it open’ ‘they want to open it for Summer, it’s going to be the first thing in their new exhibit space, they’re getting the decor together right now’ Alex smiled, ‘that would be a cool thing to do in the future, you know? Just a tour with bands from Baltimore’ Jack nodded, ‘the hometown heroes, international somebodies tour’ Alex laughing, ‘that is what it’s called definitely’ laughing, ‘I’ll look myself round my parents and see what I got’ ‘I’ll check my basement’ Rian added, ‘where do I take it?’ ‘The museum trust bought the Recher’ ‘oh, I love them, fuck, they have my help, I hated that it became a nightclub’ ‘same’ talking.

-x-

Lucy looked over her glasses seeing them come in with boxes, ‘wow’ Jack laughing, ‘this is Doctor Lucy Drake’ ‘nice to meet you all’ Lucy murmured, ‘your Alex Rian and Zack I assume?’ ‘Yes’ laughing together, ‘well, it’s nice to meet you all, I assume this is stuff you think might be useful?’ ‘It is’ ‘okay, do you have some time, cos I’m going to have label all this stuff’ ‘of course that’s absolutely fine’ ‘why we’re here’ ‘thank you, all of you’. Lucy smiled, ‘so, this was my homework, and our first setlist’ ‘we will return these things if you want them back by the way, I’m sure to an extent it’s sentimental?’ ‘It is’ Jack smiled as she put his paper in a plastic bag, ‘on opening night we’re hoping for bands to play locally, so if you know any bands who you like’ ‘well, we could?’ Jack looking at them, ‘of course, if we know what date it is’ ‘it has to be June 1st, to coincide with Warped’ ‘awesome idea’ ‘possible’ ‘absolutely’ talking.

‘I hope this is useful’ ‘absolutely, I definitely am going to put some of this stuff in’ Jack grinned, ‘of course there is a lot so I’m going to see what we can do use’ ‘of course, I understand’ ‘thank you anyway, its more than I imagined, I know now why my sister loves you guys’ ‘she does?’ ‘Huge fan, I had to buy her a care package box thing for Christmas’ he grinned, ‘oh, I hoped she liked it’ ‘I think she wears it everyday’ talking together and seeing him out, Jack smiled. Alex smiled as he joined them, ‘she is so nice, and she listens and fuck she asks better questions’ Jack laughing, ‘yeah she does, I have, I think I have a crush on her’ the band looking at him, ‘whoa, you think you could like have a relationship with her’ ‘well, if she was down, you know?’ Jack shuffling his beer, ‘must be some woman’ Alex grinned, ‘agreed’ laughing a little, ‘so, she has a lot to work with’ ‘she does’ Jack nodded, talking together, ‘gives you a reason’ ‘definitely, I have a plan’.

Lucy saw him come in, ‘you getting this sorted’ ‘indeed, I have no one but me on this project really, so’ ‘can I help?’ ‘Please’ Jack grinned sitting down, ‘I’e picked out things that I want in the exhibit in these boxes from you guys, this stuff is being put away, stuff I like but I’m not sure if we have a place for it, and it’s by member’ he grinned, ‘and stuff that can be returned’ ‘okay’ ‘they’re all labelled’ ‘of course’ putting them in boxes and changing them, ‘I’ll return these’ ‘thank you’ ‘I see Rian’s box is empty’ ‘he brought many good things, so did you, Alex seems to be ashamed he’s in a band or something and Zack well, I know he seemed quite precious so I’m trying to return as much as possible for them’ Jack smiled ‘awesome’ ‘I’m going to Moody’s tonight, there’s a great jazz band on, I wondered if you wanted to make it a date?’ Jack grinned, ‘fuck yes’.
-x-

‘This is Lucy, she’s doing an exhibit on alternative bands from Maryland, this is Joel and Benji Madden’ ‘it’s a real pleasure to meet you’ ‘an exhibit’ ‘I work for Maryland Museum of Music’ ‘that’s awesome’ talking together, ‘it must be quite new’ ‘it is very new, it’s about a year old, this exhibit is my idea and so I’m trying to make it good’ ‘what were the other options?’ Lucy smiled, ‘well, Baltimore has a huge tradition in motown, so that was going to be it, then I said this, and doo-wop’ ‘well, we have loads of stuff, our mum collected everything’ ‘my kind of lady’ laughing with them and talking about music, ‘so you love this kind of music’ ‘absolutely’ talking about music, ‘you know so much, what building do you use’ ‘do you know the Recher’ ‘you saved it!?’ ‘We did, I saw Jack and The Early November play there, Yellowcard, it was wrong for anyone to make it a nightclub’ Jack grinned, ‘you did’ ‘you told me that was your first tour, so I must’.

Jack grinned, ‘thank you so much, that was amazing’ kissing him, Jack grinned, ‘no problem, you kissed me, reward enough’ Lucy laughing, ‘thank you’ he grinned, ‘no need’ ‘I just thought, what I said, I’m going to look what bands have played the Recher, see if we can use that too’ ‘good idea, I think Nirvana played it’ ‘serious?’ ‘Hmm’ ‘I’m going to have a dig around’ ‘good idea, need a hand’ ‘you really like hanging out with me’ Jack laughing, ‘yeah I do’ talking and heading for the hotel, ‘fuck it’ ‘sorry’ ‘I love you Lucy, fuck yes, I’m going to hang out with you’ Lucy smiled, ‘okay’ he grinned, ‘I love you too’ he beamed, ‘sorry’ ‘I think if you don’t chill, your heart might explode’ ‘it’s close’ giggling, kissing softly, ‘come on, Jack, we can order room service from bed’ tugging on his hand heading for the lift and bed. ‘I’m hungry’ Jack smiled kissing her, ‘you need the energy, Miss Caswell’ ‘I use Drake cos my grandad, he made me want to do this work, and it was surname’ he grinned, talking.

Getting back to the office, ‘can I have a cup of tea, my sons made me drive from Annapolis’ ‘what’s your name’ ‘Madden’ ‘oh, God, I’m so sorry, please sit’ taking the boxes, ‘thank you for coming up’ making her a cup of tea asking for her choices, passing her a cup, ‘thank you’ ‘no problem, are you okay?’ ‘Indeed, kinda proud my kids are going to be in a museum’ ‘indeed’ talking together, ‘can I get you anything else, food or something for the return journey’ ‘oh, don’t worry dear, I’m off again, but some water’ ‘I’ll get that for you’. ‘You look slightly swamped’ ‘Good Charlotte, their mum’ Jack smiled, ‘can I help my girlfriend?’ ‘Absolutely, my boyfriend can do that’ Jack grinned, ‘wow they donated the guitar they wrote lifestyles on and the lyrics’ Lucy looking, ‘well, that’s another exhibit’ laughing together, ‘I’ll talk to Alex’ ‘I was thinking, your DVD, will you need to premiere it?’ Jack grinned, ‘here’ ‘up to you of course’ talking ideas, ‘maybe for Baltimore Hustlers’ ‘aww, I like that’.
-x-
6 months later:-

Alex grinned, ‘thank you for letting us have it here’ ‘absolut pleasure, the first monhs of the exhibit, has been an incredible and to some part that’s down to you, don’t mind organising this’ ‘so what’s going on’ ‘so pizza will arrive soon, w’re having a pizza buffet here, which people can take as soon as they have registered’ Alex grinned, ‘they can look in the exhibit before the show, then the screening of your show, you’ll do a Q and A and then a signing and then they get these goodie bags and then they are seen safely home’ Alex grinned, ‘what’s in them’ ‘the museum made postcards from some of the pieces on display a pack of those, some stuff from you guys, a deluxe version of future hearts and a necklace with a plectrum, I think, some GK stickers, stuff’ Alex laughing, ‘I’m glad’ ‘it’s been busy but I really enjoy this, I like being busy’ ‘me too, since the honeymoon, bored as hell’ ‘I’m glad it went well for you’ talking.

Jack smiled sitting and taking her hand, ‘wow you look hot, I mean, really sweaty’ she winked, Jack chuckled, ‘you haven’t seen us live, have you?’ ‘Not for a long time, I regret this somewhat now’ laughing and talking, Jack giving her a commentary for a bit, he grinned ‘you did good’ ‘thank you’ ‘the pizza thing’ ‘what is pop punk without pizza?’ Jack laughing, ‘good question’ laughing. Lucy smiled seeing people out to parents and rides, Jack waiting with her ‘thank you for all your hard work Lucy’ ‘no problem really enjoyed it, I’m going to be here a little while longer cleaning everything up and spraying Oust everywhere’ Jack laughing, ‘I’ll help you’ ‘no no, you go on to The Rockwell, I’ll be done as soon as I can’ ‘fine’ seeing the guys go getting started and putting everything back in place, locking the place up after three cans out air freshener, ‘good night work’ Lucy murmured, joining the guys.

‘I just a saw a comment from this girl on Facebook on AP insulting The Maine, how is that possible?’ Joining them, Jack laughing, ‘you really love that band’ ‘there is no bad record’ laughing a little, passing her glass to her, ‘thank you, I’ll get the next round’ talking together, ‘we should do something for you’ ‘have done more than enough, the exhibition is up for some awards and yeah, I’m good’ ‘really?’ Alex asked, ‘hmm, American Museums Awards, Music History Award, my boss works on this stuff not me’ laughing a little, ‘what do you plan to do next?’ ‘Well, I’m not sure, cos it is so popular, we’re ensure it’s all good to be kept, as of course this stuff is sentimental for many, but it looks like it’s going to stay’ ‘awesome, congratulations’ ‘thank you’ ‘you keep all that stuff, it’s all good’ laughing a little, ‘I do like the first setlist thing’ ‘me too’ ‘what is Circles?’ ‘Oh, people love that bloody song’ laughing.

Lucy snuggled into Jack in the morning, glad it was the weekend finally, ‘all good’ ‘yeah, I’m going to run in and just check on some paperwork, but not going to be long I promise’ ‘good, I want to hang out today’ ‘come with me then we can just get started’ ‘deal’ he grinned. Lucy smiled finishing up some tidying and the invoices, ‘did last night happen?’ Rob asked, her boss looking around, ‘yeah, I tidied up after’ ‘did it go well’ ‘incredibly well’ ‘awesome’ talking together, ‘what are your plans?’ Lucy smiled, ‘oh, well, me and Jack are hading out, I’m just wrapping up the paperwork to GK who paid for the museum for the band and the receipts’ ‘congratulations on it working out’ ‘thank you’ Jack grinned, ‘seems a good boss’ ‘he’s an awesome boss’ talking and heading out off her office, locking it up, ‘why do you lock it’ ‘I just, academics’ ‘you don’t trust them’ ‘never’ Jack laughing.

Jack smiled getting a bowling lane with her, ‘I love our date days, I’m sorry there was work’ Lucy smiled, ‘no need, can we share this?’ ‘Go on then’ he grinned taking a picture of them, ‘having a date day with my lovely girlfriend, @Lucycaswell, she’s not good at this bowling thing’ ‘true’ laughing together. ‘What next?’ Walking with her, ‘burritos at Taco Bell?’ He grinned ‘okay’ getting lunch, ‘what next?’ Jack asked, ‘how about we get one of those boat rides in the harbour?’ Jack grinned, ‘I’ve never done that’ ‘let’s do it’ laughing spending the day together. Lucy walked with him holding his hand, ‘I forgot I got seasick’ ‘I’m sorry darling’ he grinned, ‘no need’ ‘wanna go home, we can go see a movie? I’ll make home made slurpees’ ‘I love you so much’ giggling and heading home, ‘I’ll make slurpees, you pick a movie’ ‘deal’ he grinned glad he had her everyday.

‘I think I want to spend my life with you’ Jack murmured, Lucy smiled, ‘you do?’ ‘I do’ he grinned, ‘I think I want to marry you’ ‘you do?’ ‘I do’ he grinned kissing her softly, ‘I wouldn’t mind either’ he grinned holding her, ‘good’ ‘I know how bored you are’ ‘don’t worry, I know things are moving into place’ ‘good’ talking together, ‘I do want to spend my life with you’ ‘I know, mutual, we’ll do it at the end of this album stuff, you know?’ ‘Can we not, cos I think Rian is doing that’ Lucy smiled ‘okay then, well, how about we organise it for our anniversary, you’ll be home for January right’ ‘definitely’ he beamed ‘awesome’ Jack checking, ‘I’m home’ ‘I’ll organise it for then but you are going to have to help me’ ‘deal’ he grinned kissing her, ‘do this as we mean to go on together’ ‘I love that’ laughing together, ‘shall we go out tomorrow, pick up some wedding magazines, we can make an idea of what we want?’ ‘Good idea’ talking together.
-x-
3 years later:-

Jack smiled coming in Lucy’s office, seeing their daughter in the corner, ‘hello’ ‘hey Jack’ kissing him softly, ‘how’s it going?’ ‘Good, I’m just beginning the new exhibit’ ‘I’m sorry it got closed’ ‘it went out on a high though, it never stopped being popular, it’s just three years is a long time’ ‘what are you working on?’ Jack asked, ‘Doo-Wop in Baltimore’ talking together, ‘I miss that exhibit’ ‘I know you do’ ‘I wondered if we could do something together?’ ‘Oh, what?’ ‘I thought we could begin something that doesn’t suck the joy from me’ Jack laughing, ‘you don’t like your job?’ ‘I didn’t realise, I think I just, I think when it left it felt like you were leaving, it was nice to look up and see you’ Jack smiled, ‘no wonder you have so many pictures, darling’ ‘sorry’ he grinned, ‘so you hate it, cos you don’t feel at home?’ ‘It sounds silly doesn’t it’ ‘no, I know that feeling’ he smiled, ‘what do you want to do?’ ‘Home’ ‘okay then’.

Lucy unfurled the plan, Jack grinned, ‘you want to set up a record, oh, cool, all the profit goes to local organisations’ Jack grinned, ‘I just feel like, I wanted a job to help people, and you’re amazing at what you do, I was hoping it would bring together what we do’ he grinned, ‘I love the idea, it is a wage decrease’ ‘I have been offered a course at the university, a professor of music, my hours would be flexible’ ‘you’re going to be a professor?’ ‘I am indeed’ ‘that’s amazing, baby!’ Kissing her, ‘congratulations’ ‘thank you, I just felt like I needed a little change, so I took the offer, I’m going to be doing a course in the history of music, head up a Museum Studies masters’ Jack grinned, ‘I love you’ ‘I love you too’ he grinned holding her close, ‘I will be job sharing the masters course, so I can do this’ Lucy smiled, ‘can we do it, I know I have some money’ ‘absolutely, we’ll do it’ Jack beamed ‘I love you’ ‘I love you too’.
they lived happily.