Status: aye, zayn zayn zayn zayn

In Tandem

Family is Where You Are

“Hi, Mom!”

“Hi, sweetie,” mom breathes into her phone. I hear her laugh while calling out to dad, as she tells him that I am on the line with her.

I crookedly smile at her joy. “Hi, mom. How's Paulie?”

“Oh, he's fine! That Yorkie of yours been missing you since you left in September.” I could hear her smile all the way from here. “Zayn, sweetie, are you wearing your scarf?”

I know mom can't see me but I nod anyway. “Yeah,” I say as I adjust the cloth around my neck. “I'm wearing it. But mom, I have a small favor to ask to you,” I say politely.

“Zayn, are you okay?” mom asks slowly as my tone changes.

“Yeah, I'm fine. But mom, I need a favor.”

“Sure sweetie, what is it?”

I start to play with my fingernails. “You know how I asked you to make an extra spot at the holiday dinner?”

“Mhm.”

“Well, I was just reminding you about her so you wouldn't forget to do it.”

Mom gasps. “Oh, the person’s a her?”

I roll his eyes. “I told you about Raveena, mom.”

“I'm so glad I finally get to meet your lady-fella! After seeing all those pictures together, I finally get to meet her!” Mom rejoices about my potential soulmate, most likely smiling and giggling with the news.

“Mom!” I say to get her attention. “Please, don't bring out those baby pictures. Especially the bathtub ones. I just want to make her feel like family.”

Mom giggles, “Then those pictures will make her just like family!”

“I just want to make a good impression on her.”

After a couple of chats about embarrassing me, mom giggles a goodbye and hangs up.

I sigh and tuck my phone into my jacket pocket. Mom is crazy and I love her for that, but sometimes she gets a little too excited to be around.

“Is everything okay?” Raveena calls out from near the trunk of the car. She pushes the last of her bags into the back before she joins me in the front. “How are your parents?”

I places a hand on her thigh and smile. “Just crazy-normal, like always.”

“I hope they don't mind me coming over for the holidays. I don't want to seem like an outsider who's intruding.”

I see Raveena frowning. I bring her head near mine and kiss her cheek. “You are family.”

Image


“Mom? Dad?”

I call out for my parents once Raveena and I are in the house. I take Raveena’s hand and guide her to the main living room.

As we pass the entrance, Raveena gasps. “Wow, your home is beautiful.”

I smirk. “Not as beautiful as you.”

Raveena smacks my arms but shows off a small smile.

We walk hand and hand towards the sound echoing in this huge house. Raveena tightens her grip once we reach the main living room. I brush my thumb across her hand while giving her a small kiss on her forehead.

“Zayn!” I hear my family sing once I am spotted.

Mom is passing around the wine glasses. Dad is setting up the karaoke machine. Brodus is stuffing his face with pie. Michael is turning on the twinkling lights.

“There's my college boy!” Mom gasps while practically dancing her way towards me. She catches me into a bear hug before she realizes I came with Raveena.

“You must be Raveena?” Mom smiles and offers her a wine glass.

“Hi,” Raveena softly says while hugging my mother. “It's finally nice to meet you!”

Mom gushes. “You too! I finally get to meet raveeeeena from Instagram!”

Raveena blushes. Mom untangles our hands and shows off Raveena to the rest of the family.

“Hun, come meet Zayn’s bae!”

Now, I'm blushing.

“Nice to meet you, sweetie,” dad says to Raveena. She offers him a hug, while dad says, “Here are Zayn’s brothers, Brodus and Michael.”

Brodus smiles while showing off his stained teeth (all thanks to that pie he was eating) and Michael shakes Raveena’s hand. Raveena offers them hugs and I can see how wide her smile grows. She talks to them about food (pie, which makes Brodus quite intrigued) and a bunch of games they will play after dinner. By the way she smiles and talks to my younger brothers, I can tell how much she relaxed in a short time.

“You need to come,” Michael says while tugging on Raveena’s hand, “and see our game room. We have a bunch of board games we could play with.”

“Michael, I don’t think Raveena came here to play board games.” Mom says while placing a hand on her hips.

“No, it’s okay,” Raveena lightly says. “I have two sisters and a brother at home so I’m used to it.” She looks at Michael and smiles, “What kind of games do you have?”

Michael’s face lights up. “I have tons. I beat Zayn at a bunch of those games.”

I raise an eyebrow at my younger brother and laugh. “Oh, have you?”

Brodus speaks up. “Yeah! Zayn’s sucks at Sorry! and Apples to Apples.” He high-five’s Michael as the two of them explode in laughter.

I grab Brodus and lift him up. He giggles at the tickles and manages to say, “You’re just not good at games, big bro.”

Raveena takes Michael’s hand and adds, “He is bad at games, huh?”

I look at Raveena and smirk. I want to comment but looking at her with my siblings makes me silent. I take in their nice moment together and just smile the entire time.
♠ ♠ ♠
In this world, Zayn has brothers rather than sisters, he's in college, and his bae is Rav. heheheheh.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS RAVEENA !!!!