Of Gossip and Dances

Hugh Seymour

Who does this guy think he is, Hugh questioned to himself as he glanced up at the scene across the table from him. Miss. Durham was batting her eyes at the man sitting next to her - Mr. Fredrick, was his name. All throughout dinner, the two had been talking as if they had known each other since they were young children, and she seemed to laugh at every bad joke that he told. Why should I even care? I hardly even know her.

Hugh was sitting between his parents, who were enjoying the company of the others around the table. Next to his father, sat Richard, who had not said a single word since they arrived. In fact, he had not said a single word since the two men came back from town that afternoon.

“Oh, Mr. Fredrick,” he heard Miss. Durham exclaim from across the table. It took every bone in his body to keep his head down and not stare at the two loudly talking in front of him. “If you are willing, we - Miss. Hughes and I - can show you around the town! She knows it better than anyone you will ever meet. I have heard the town has the most wonderful shops that I have yet to visit!”

The man laughed, a deep one that made Miss. Durham giggle with delight. “That sounds like a wonderful idea, Miss. Durham. We must stay in touch to plan the day,” he replied. “We should get together soon, though, because I will be leaving in just a few days.”

“So,” Hugh heard his mother speak up. It was then that he looked up to face her. “You are only visiting, Mr. Fredrick?”

“Yes, ma’am. I am only visiting my close family friends, which is the reason I am here tonight. I have been so graciously invited to dine with the Hughes’, who have allowed me to stay in their home while I visit.”

His mother did not say another word; she was content with his answer. “Hugh,” his mother whispered in his ear. “You must speak with Miss. Hughes. She is a divine woman of natural beauty; you two would be very happy with each other.”

“I will, mother, but only to make you happy.” He did not dare argue with his mother in fear of causing an unnecessary and embarrassing scene, especially in front of strangers.

She only laughed and turned to talk to the woman next to her.

He could not comprehend his mother’s obsession with matchmaking him with any woman that she deems perfect for him, but he did not fight it. If she believed that he would be happier with a woman in his life, she could. Even he did not know what he wanted. At the young age of twenty-four, Hugh still could not decide what he wanted to do with his life.

Even as a young boy, he only thought of the very next day, and not what he would be doing in the near or distant future. And now, while his mother thought of his future wife, while his father thought of Hugh spreading his wings to take care of his own house, Hugh only thought of tomorrow. And of what was happening at the moment at dinner with the Hughes’.

“Mr. Seymour.” He blinked. In front of him was an empty table. Hugh was so lost in his own thoughts that he did not even notice that his empty plate was taken away from him, and the guests had begun to get up. When he looked up to the voice that brought him back to reality, he saw Miss. Hughes staring down at him with a toothy grin. “Come back to us, sir.”

Hugh shook his head. “Never, Miss. Hughes,” he joked as he stood up from his chair. “I thank you for not leaving me at the table to look like an idiot.”

“It is my pleasure, although it would be a rather nice sight for such a handsome and well received man such as yourself look like a total fool in front of us flawed folk.”

Hugh shook his head as he glanced around the almost empty room. Only two others stayed behind with them, discussing a private matter among themselves. “Oh, do not tell me that a woman of your stature and grace has flaws? I have always seen you as a perfect woman whom others could not even begin to compare to,” he replied with a grin. Miss. Hughes cheeks changed from pale to rosy within seconds, and her ears, Hugh observed, changed a shade of red that he had never seen on a person before. It made Hugh smile even more.

“You must be enjoying yourself, sir,” she exclaimed, covering her ears. “It is my only flaw - my ears turn red when I blush. Oh, it is such a horrid curse to have, and you must feel sorry for me to be so embarrassed.” She had always been so dramatic, ever since the two met.

“Oh Miss. Hughes, I do not know how you live with it,” Hugh joked, his smile never leaving his face. “But as you should know, I have flaws myself.” She nodded, as if to tell him to go on and tell her his secrets. “But, unfortunately, I cannot reveal them to you.”

Her smile turned into a pout within seconds. “Well then,” she eventually replied after a few seconds of thought. “I must find them out myself, now won’t I? Now, we are moving to the drawing room, would you care to join us?”

“As long as you can show me the way, Miss. Hughes.”
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been about a year, but this story is back in full swing! Thank you so much for being so patient.