Status: Complete ♥

The Ultimate Soldier

One

‘Experiment number L9872 was born on the 27th February 2020… she was the only specimen to make it through all the trials and still seems to be gaining knowledge as she grows.’

That report was made a month ago about a baby that had been born, but the baby was no longer a small, innocent bundle of joy… she was now an eighteen-year-old girl with the memory of a super computer. L9872 was the ultimate soldier with the strength and stealth needed to beat the enemy, but she was flawed.

She heard the scientists talking when she was supposed to be disconnected from the link, at some point they had gotten some wires crossed in her brain and she had come out a little too… human for their liking.

“Good morning, Doctor,” Captain Miller greeted as he entered the lab, “How’s my girl?”

“The specimen is ready for deployment,” the doctor replied, pressing a few buttons and releasing her from the sleep chamber that was her home.

“Morning Lani,” Captain Miller said with a smile.

“Captain,” the doctor stated, “She does not understand.”

“Doesn’t mean that she shouldn’t be treated right, she’s a member of my unit and will be treated the same as everyone else,” Miller argued, causing the doctor to lower his gaze and nod obediently, “From now on she will be referred to as Lani in my presence… do you understand?”

“Yes, sir.”

Watching the doctor hand over her field bag, Lani followed Captain Miller out of the lab and to a waiting jeep that already held the other members of her team.

“We have intel that the rebels are in the process of building some kind of weapon, but that’s all we know,” Captain Miller explained as they were driven to their drop off location, “Our orders are to destroy the weapon at any cost.”

“Resistance?” Harper asked.

“Scans indicate a small squad of about thirty men, but there could be more,” Miller answered, turning to look at Lani, “It’ll be your job to plant the explosives, the rest of us will lay down cover fire and take out as many of the rebels as we can.”

“Understood,” Lani replied with a nod of her head.

The Jeep soon came to a stop and the team scrambled out, taking cover among the trees. Watching Captain Miller’s hand signals, Lani loaded her weapon and followed Harper to the right.

Things were quiet as they moved through the trees, until they neared a small compound and spotted the rebels. On Captain Miller’s signal, the team opened fire on the outlook posts and Lani made her way towards a larger building in the distance.

It didn’t take the rest of the team long to catch up and Lani entered the building and took out a couple of rebels that were guarding the weapon. Planting the C4, Lani activated the timer and made her way out again to take cover.

The explosion shook the ground, knocking a few of the team off their feet and showering them in falling debris. Through the smoke, Lani could hear several voices that she didn’t recognize and as the smoke cleared, they came under heavy fire.

Spotting one of the rebels toss a grenade, Lani followed its trajectory carefully and calculated its landing zone. Looking over at Captain Miller, Lani felt a jolt of fear as she realized that he was standing inches away from the grenades landing location and knew that if she didn’t act fast then he would get caught up in the blast.

Running towards Captain Miller, Lani pushed him out of the way just as the grenade landed and she was thrown through the air by the impact of the explosion. The world quickly went black around her and when she woke up she was back in the lab, feeling as though nothing had happened.

“Lani,” Captain Miller said as he motioned for the doctor to release her, “Let's take a walk.”

“Captain…” the doctor added, falling silent and following the order he had been given when Miller turned to glare at him.

Lani and the Captain walked in silence for a while, until they reached the drill yard.

“I wanted to thank you for saving my life back there,” the Captain stated as they walked side by side.

“Is it not a soldiers duty to protect their team mates?” Lani replied, tilting her head in confusion and continuing, “My programming does not require me to do this, but I heard it said many times.”

“You acted on instinct… human instinct,” Miller told her.

“I am just a specimen, Captain Miller… a soldier created in a lab with a super computer connected to my brain,” Lani argued, “The doctor says that I am nothing more than a science experiment.”

“You’re more than that, Lani,” the Captain added, turning to face her and stepping in her way so that she couldn’t advance any further, “What did you feel when you saw the grenade?”

“Feel?”

“Yes… did you feel different?”

“I believe I felt fear, but it wasn’t for long,” Lani admitted, remembering the jolt of unfamiliar emotion she had felt within her.

“Fear… that’s a natural human emotion to feel in that kind of situation,” the Captain stated, “I know you… I’ve watched you in the field and you’re more human than those doctors know or want to comprehend.”

“You’re saying that I am wrong?” Lani inquired.

“No… I’m saying that those doctors have no idea what they’ve truly created, they see your human like behavior as a mistake… a flaw but they’re the ones that are wrong,” the Captain mumbled, frowning as he looked at Lani’s neck, “999?”

“Excuse me?”

“Your birthmark… it’s no longer reads one thousand,” the Captain informed her, “It now says 999.”

Lani stared at the Captain unable to see the significance in what he was saying… numbers changed all the time, but deep down she knew that there was something more to it and that Captain Miller would find out what.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Reading Guys ♥