‹ Prequel: The Next Year

... And Then There Were Three

Chapter 1

**Nov. 28, 2015 11:30 p.m. Aleks’ POV**

Here I was, sitting on the couch waiting for the garage door. I had watched the game, it had not been a good one for the Pens. Then I felt it, a twinge that wasn’t Braxton-Hicks. We were 4 days overdue and it felt like someone was finally ready to join us. It was a long twinge, it didn’t last past me trying to get off the couch even, but it was something to keep in mind.

Then I heard the garage door and knew that Sid was home. That helped me relax, I’d been anxious when he would have to go for practice or things in the last 2 weeks. I’m sure it had nothing to do with the huge belly I was sporting, nothing at all. “That was a shit game.” He said as he came over to me. He looked at me oddly. “Getting up or sitting down?”

I offered him my hand. “Getting up and yes it was.” He helped hoist me up and then, once I had my balance, let me go. “With everything that’s going on I’m not surprised though. You guys will turn things around.” I waddled into the kitchen and got myself a glass of milk. Sid came in and heated himself something and while he ate, I waited.

He took my glass when he was done and rinsed everything in the sink. “Anything new on this end?” He asked as I straightened up and gasped at the second twinge I’d felt in the last half hour. He was around the island in a flash. “Is everything ok? How far apart?”

I rested a hand on his well muscled shoulder. “Relax. It was the second twinge I’ve felt in the last half hour. I think I just stood up too fast.” The pain was gone now, it had been gone since he moved to my side. “I’m going to bed, I don’t think the baby's coming in the next hour.” I leaned over, kissed his cheek and waddled towards our room.

**Sid’s POV**

Something told me that I needed to be ready to go at a moment’s notice. Probably the way Aleks had slowed down in the last couple days. I made sure both bags were in the car and that they were ready to go. I knew hers was but I needed to add a few snacks to mine so if nothing else I could sneak her something when people’s backs were turned.

I checked that the GPS was programmed with the Magee Women’s Hospital, more specifically the Womancare Birth Center and that the car seat was in the vehicle. I had filled the gas tank on the way home. Once I was satisfied that I had done everything I could to be ready just in case, I headed to the bedroom and sleep. It took me a little bit to get comfy around my very pregnant and overdue wife.

**Aleks POV**

I didn’t feel Sid slide into bed but when I woke at 2 am to go to the bathroom, he was next to me. I heaved myself up and moved to stop the feeling of bouncing baby on the bladder syndrome I had been having for about a week. Just after I sat down I was hit with a stronger contraction than I had 2 hours previous. It was a real contraction too, not one of those twinges I’d been having for the last several hours. I couldn’t tell you how long it lasted but eventually it relaxed and I was able to go pee.

Waddling back into the bedroom, I laid back down and did my best to get comfortable. Not an easy task when you’re feeling like a whale.

No sooner than I drifted off, I woke up again. Something hurt and I felt like I needed to push. Looking at the clock I noticed it was 5:25 a.m. so I decided to see if I could go to the bathroom and fix the issue. Boy was that a mistake. I got out of bed and grabbed onto the nightstand to keep myself upright, it hurt that badly. Instead of focusing on the pain, I let a long breath out slowly as I counted. When I had run out of air, the contraction hadn’t stopped but it was subsiding. “You would pick now.” I whispered at my child as I went into the bathroom.

Getting done I wiped off and stopped. What was that? I dropped the toilet paper in and reached down again. That was hair and… holy crap we were crowning! Tamping down the fear I felt I started to move. It took me 2 tries to get off of the toilet.

Waddling into the room I woke my husband. “Sid. Sidney.” He snuffled and rolled over, ignoring me in his bid to sleep. I felt a ripple coming and took in a deep breath. I leaned over the bed and let it out as the pain got stronger and stronger. When it finally got to the point I could talk again, I picked up the phone and called the Birth Center.

“Womancare Birth Center, how can I help you?” She had a pleasant voice which was nice to hear.

“Yes I’m a patient of Christine Burke London and as soon as I can wake my husband we will be coming in.” I was now pushing on Sid’s shoulder while speaking. It was getting results, he was grumpily moving.

“Ok, how far along are you and has your water broken?” I heard keys clicking in the background.

“I have no idea if my water has broken but my last contraction ended about a minute ago and the one before that was about 6 minutes ago.” Something I said finally got through to Sid who woke up looking at me like he was scared.

“It sounds like it is time to come in. What’s your name so I can tell Christine, she’s on call.”

I sent a prayer of thanks to the heavens as I answered her. “Aleksandra Crosby. I’m 4 days overdue so she might be expecting this.” Sid got up and moving while I remembered who our pediatrician was. “Our pediatrician is Dr. Jewell for when the time comes.”

“That’s great, I see you’re already preregistered too. That will help with the paperwork. You come on in and we’ll take care of everything.” I thanked her and hung up the phone.

“You’re sure?” Sid asked as he put on clothes.

I looked at him sternly. “Yes. Very. Time to go.” I was glad I had taken to sleeping in one of my sleep bras and would only have to put on leggings and shoes before I could go.

Sid grabbed his wallet and phone before leaving the bedroom. I could hear him making at least one phone call while I was trying to put my pants on. Bending over, even while sitting, during labor is damned hard. Having a contraction in the middle of the process doesn’t make it any easier either. “Yes mom I’m sure, or at least she’s sure.” I was breathing steadily while he came in. “Uh, I don’t think she can talk right now. No, she’s breathing in a steady stream.”

Carefully as things calmed down I got up and pulled my pants up. I then took the phone and answered the questions he couldn’t. “Yes I’m sure, we’re leaving now. No you don’t have to be there but I would like you to come by sometime today.” It was my mom he was speaking to of course as his folks were going to be coming down after the baby was born.

Sid had gotten the only pair of shoes I could wear now for me, crocs, and helped me put them on. I then waddled to the car. I hadn’t yet told him that I had felt the baby’s head and by how he was driving I wouldn’t be either. It was crazy enough without it. A trip that should have taken 20 minutes, took 10. I didn’t want to know how fast he was going. I was concentrating on not giving birth in the car.

Sidney pulled up in front of the Birth Center and I slid my way out. Before I could get fully in the doors, he was at my side with both bags on his back. “Can I get you a wheelchair?” He asked reaching for one.

“No. I’ll walk. Sitting is difficult.” I was snippy, not that I cared. I walked all the way into the Birth Center and as he was explaining who I was, the nurse just waved me through and brought me to a room.

I toed off my shoes and she smiled. “Here, put this gown on and then I’ll check you.”

I took off my pants, letting them fall to the floor and kick out of them, then shucked my shirt and leaned half over the bed as another contraction hit. Nope I hadn’t grown up in locker rooms, not at all. The nurse didn’t look that shocked, until she checked me. She paled and then called out loudly. “Christine! Get in here. It’s time to catch this baby!”

In walked my CNM (Certified Nurse Midwife) scoffing. “She just got here, she can’t be.” She got a look at what was down there. “Move,” she said in a no nonsense tone. “Get him in here.” They switched positions and the other nurse left at a near run. “Ok Aleks, nice and easy. The baby is really close so it shouldn’t take much.”

Sid, being towed by the other nurse, came in then. “Is everything ok?” He asked in a semi-panicked voice. Nothing like impending fatherhood to freak someone out.

Christine was calm. “Everything is fine, I just didn’t want you to miss the birth.” She directed him without words to where she needed him. “Ok Aleks, do you think you can get on the bed?” I shook my head no. I was fine right where I was. “Ok, we’ll do it here then.” Then there was a gush of fluid. “There’s your water breaking. Ok push when you’re ready.”

I felt Sidney lean across the other side of the bed and take my hands. I held onto his and beared down slowly. I felt a little burning but it wasn’t bad compared to what our birth educator had said. I squatted down and put my head on the edge of the bed, that made it hurt less while I pushed. Christine was right there giving me good support. “There you go, nice and easy.” I felt something pop and stopped pushing briefly. “You’re fine, the head is free.”

It was then that I adjusted my stance a bit and felt the rest of the baby slip free. Then the first cry came. I looked up and caught Sid’s eyes. Christine then calmly announced who had made us a larger family. “Congratulations, it’s a girl.”

**Sid’s POV**

As I laid across the bed staring into my wife’s eyes, it dawned on me. We were parents. Our Mikhaila Rose was here. I grinned, feeling elated. “Mikhaila Rose.” I whispered aloud.

Aleks smiled tiredly. “She’s here.” I leaned further over and kissed her forehead.

Christine just chuckled. “Let’s get you onto the bed so you can have her on your chest for a while.” I helped Aleks moved onto the bed, noticing that the cord hadn’t been even clamped yet. I looked up at Christine oddly and she just smiled. “You forgot that Aleks said she wanted to delay the cord clamping didn’t you?”

I felt my face heat up and heard them both chuckle. “It’s better for Mikhaila if we wait. This way she has all her blood in her body and not only ⅔ to ½ of it.” Aleks took her sleep bra off and laid back on the bed then Mikhaila was laid on her chest and a blanket was put over them. “Hey there little one.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello all my Lovely Readers! I'm sad to let The Next Year go but happy to be starting with a fresher time line. This is going to be the current Hockey Season (2015-2016) and so there might be some overlap with Sisu (my fic about Tuukka Rask).

I will be updating most of my ongoing fics with new titles and a jump to the current season. This does mean more Aleks/Sid, Kris/Kallie and Max/Jass!