Eternal Thirst

Chapter Seven;

Lyra picked up a clear glass, filling it with water from the fridge, trying to control her breathing.

Her best friend was a vampire.

A vampire.

She turned and jumped a little when she spotted Zach only a few feet away, his eyes slightly red. Lyra set the glass down on the counter and ran into his waiting arms, burying her face in his chest, her tears soaking his t-shirt. "What are we going to do, Zach?"

Zach ran a hand through her hair, "I'm not sure. Michael is trying to get a hold of Emma, maybe she can fix this somehow."

Lyra nodded, sniffing as she pulled away from him. "How's Sam?"

Zach shook his head, "he's not doing so good. He's still in shock, we all are."

Lyra nodded, turning and picking up the glass. "I'm going to go talk to her, but I think you guys should go. This is hard enough on her."

Zach nodded, leaning forward and placing a kiss on Lyra's forehead before turning and walking out of the kitchen. Lyra took the steps two at a time, pausing outside of Skylinn' door and taking a deep breath.

Skylinn was sitting criss-cross on her bed, a pillow clutched tightly in her hands. Lyra walked over towards her, brushing a loose strand of hair away from her face. "I brought you some water."

Skylinn didn't answer so Lyra set the glass on her nightstand, crawling on top of Skylinn's bed and sitting across from her. "Are you okay?"

Skylinn looked up at her, her cheeks stained red from crying so much. "How can I be okay? I didn't want to believe it, Lyra. I figured I was just going through some weird phase or something."

Lyra stuck out her bottom lips, tucking more of Skylinn' hair behind her ears. "I know, I wish it was."

Skylinn looked up at her, her voice breaking. "Lyra, what am I going to do?"

Skylinn's body started to shake and Lyra pulled her in tightly for a hug. "It's okay, we're all here for you, okay?" She pulled away, "you're not alone in this." Skylinn nodded and Lyra gave her a soft smile, "I'm going to go grab you some food, i'll be right back, okay?" Skylinn nodded and Lyra stood, walking out of Skylinn's room, closing the door behind her. She made it halfway down the stairs before she had spotted Sam, sitting on the bottom step, his back to her. Lyra sighed, sitting down beside him causing him to jump. "Oh, it's just you."

"Just me?" Lyra asked, earning herself a hard look from him. "How you holding up?"

Sam sniffed, wiping his nose on his wrist. "She's a vampire, Lyra."

Lyra nodded slowly, "yeah, but she's still the same person."

Sam shook his head, "no she's not. Everything is different now."

Lyra's eyes narrowed, her lips pressing together in a thin line. "No, it's not. Sam this is your best friend, and she needs you right now."

Sam didn't answer her as he stared at his hands. Lyra shoved him, sending him crashing off the last step and onto the floor. "Hey!"

Lyra stood, looking down at him while she folded her arms across her chest. "If I'm not giving up on her that means you aren't either, and I swear Sam if you don't do something right now-"

"Okay!" Sam help up his hands, pushing himself to his feet, wiping off his shirt even though nothing was there. "Okay, I get it. Can you, give me a minute with her? Alone?"

Lyra gave him a soft smile, "i'll give you the whole night." She stepped down off the stairs, giving Sam a soft pat on the chest. "I'll be by in the morning, take care of her okay?"

Sam nodded, "okay."

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Skylinn poked her head out of her doorway, glancing down both ways of the hall. Lyra had left to get her food over twenty minutes ago, where did she go? Skylinn took a step out of her doorway, half expecting an angry mod to come running up her stairs and demand that she be burned at the stake. Her ears twitched and Skylinn lifted her head curiously. She headed down the hall, turning and pausing when she had spotted the movie room door cracked slightly open, a soft glow coming from inside. She glanced around one last time before she gently pushed on the door, stepping into the room.

The room was lit up with candles, the pillows she had brought in earlier where arranged into some kind of fort with Sam standing in the middle. He stepped out, running a hand through his ragged brown hair. "We're gonna slumber it, like we used to."

Skylinn couldn't help it as the tears streamed down her face, "yeah, okay."

She didn't wait for him to say anything else before she ran forward into his arms, burying her face in his chest as she sobbed. Sam leaned down and knocked her legs out from under her, holding her close as she set her down in his make shift fort. Skylinn didn't question him as he lifted her legs to where they were resting on top of his and her body was against his side.

They sat their in silence for a few minutes before Sam finally spoke. "How are you taking it?"

Skylinn ran her hands through her hair, tugging at it roughly. "I hate myself."

"It's not your fault, Skylinn."

"How is it not? I-I'm a vampire, and that's horrible. People want to kill me, Sam. And I haven't even done anything yet. Why can't I just be normal for once."

Sam put two fingers under Skylinn's chin, lifting it up so that she was looking at his face. "Because that's not who you are, Sky. You're a daredevil, a risk-taker, and sometimes you are just plain stupid. But that's who you are. You're Skylinn Walker, the same girl who broke into the school and tee-peed the entire gym. The same girl who wakes up before dawn just to watch the sunrise over the forest. The same girl who covered my room in sticky notes for my birthday. You're my best friend. And you're beautiful. This isn't going to break you. It's only going to make you stronger."

Skylinn looked up at him for the longest time. After awhile she dropped her head, letting it rest against Stefan's shoulder again as the movie started. They sat there in silence as they watched the first thirty minutes of Jaw's. After a while Skyinn sighed, moving in closer to Sam causing his stomach to flutter. "You're my best friend too, Sam." Skylinn whispered, smiling against his shoulder as she did so.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Sam silently closed Skylinn's front door, turning and jumping when he came face to face with Lyra. "God, Lyra, you scared me."

Lyra raised her eyebrows at him, "what're you doing?"

Sam's eyes squinted and he held a hand over his eyes, blocking out the harsh morning sunlight. "Sneaking out, what do you think?"

"You two didn't-"

Sam rolled his eyes, "no. We just had a movie night, just us. Like how we used to,"

Lyra smiled, "aw. That's so cute."

Sam rolled his eyes, fishing out his keys and walking passed her. Lyra turned, calling after him. "Aren't you going to stay?"

“Nope. I’ve got to talk to Dean."

Lyra raised an eyebrow curiously as she watched his truck pull out of the driveway and down the road. "Weird."

She shrugged her shoulders, pulling open the door and starting up the stairs. Skylinn was just coming out of the music room when Lyra rounded the corner. "Morning!"

Skylinn rubbed her eyes with the back of her hand, "what time is it? Where's Sam?"

"8:30." Lyra looped her arm through Skylinn's, pulling her towards her room. Skylinn groaned, as she allowed Lyra to pull her, walking into her bedroom. Skylinn hissed as a small ray of light hit her skin, sending her shrinking against the wall. "Will you close that please?"

"Or, you can wear this." Lyra held up a small gold and black ring, her eyes glinting. Skylinn raised an eyebrow, reaching forward and taking the ring from Lyra. "What's this?"

"It's a day ring." Lyra answered, walking over towards Skylinn's curtains. "Put it on."

Obediently, Skylinn slipped the ring on. Just in time for Lyra to throw open the curtains, filling the room with light. Skylinn let out a yelp holding up her arms to shield herself from the light. After a moment Skylinn slowly dropped her hands, glancing at Lyra with wide eyes. "I-I'm in the sun."

Lyra nodded, giving her a bright smile. "All thanks to me!"

Skylinn looked down at the ring on her finger, studying it. It was a vintage gold ring, with a sleek black cover around the entire outer of the ring, stopping at a gold star in the middle that was filled with diamonds. Skylinn glanced up at Lyra, "how'd you do this?"

Lyra ran a hand through her hair nervously, "right. I never told you this, but i'm a witch." She held up her hands and offered Skylinn a bright smile. "Surprise!"

Skylinn stared at her, "you're a what?"

Lyra sighed, "a witch. No I don't have a broom that I ride around on or a tall black pointy hat if that's what you're wondering."

Skylinn laughed, "but, how did you, when did you, what?"

Lyra sat on the end of Skylinn's bed, patting the spot next to her. Skylinn sat down beside her, just as Lyra started to talk.

"Well not everyone in my family has it. Michael doesn't, and neither did my mom or dad. But my grandma was, she taught me most of what I know. She said that our ancestors came over from Salem, settling down in Virgin Grove hundred of years ago. It's just kinda, passed down through the line I guess."

Skylinn pursed her lips, "so who all knows? Does Zach-"

Lyra held up a hand, cutting her off. "You where the only one that didn't know. Sorry about that." She gave Skylinn a small smile. "Anyways, c'mon get dressed. Emma's going to be waiting downstairs."

Skylinn stood, only to turn to face Lyra a moment later. "Wait, Emma? What does she have to do with anything?"

"Oh right, Sam must not have told you." Lyra stood, crossing over towards Skylinn's dresser and pulling out a pair of skinny jeans and a red t-shirt, tossing them over towards her. "I don't really know how to explain this but, Emma's a vampire."

"What?!"

Lyra sighed, motioning for Skylinn to get dressed. "Here, you change while I talk got it?"

Skylinn nodded as she shed her tank top.

"Anyways," Lyra sat back down on Skylinn's bed. "Emma has been a vampire for over seventy years. But I'll have her give you her life long story. The main point is, when you got into that car crash it didn't look like you where going to make it." Lyra glanced up at her, "we couldn't let that happen. I mean you're my best friend, and you where dying. So, Emma said she could give you some of her blood, which would heal you. And it did. But, it also turned you. Which I'll have Emma explain to but c'mon we're late."

Lyra pushed herself to her feet just as Skylinn was tugging on some shoes, linking their arms together and marching her out of her bedroom.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Adam dragged the last bag down the stairs, turning and calling. "Clarence! C'mon we can't leave them waiting!"

Clarence skipped down the stairs, pausing beside Adam. "Are we all ready? They will want a good report."

Adam nodded, "what about the girl?"

Clarence pursed his lips, " we'll come back for her. She's only in her first few days of changing. We wont be able to see if she's the right one for at least another few weeks."

Adam nodded, glancing around the house. "Then we'll be back for her in a few weeks."