In Your Eyes

Chapter Fourteen

At dinner that evening, Arella sat beside Mathias. She felt excited about something but couldn’t think of what it could be. They finished eating and her father made an announcement.

“We’re having a Christmas ball,” he told the room. “The day after tomorrow. We’ll have some guests but, remember, security is increased by at least three times.” Unconsciously, Arella touched her throat. “It will be in the ball room and nowhere else. The doors will be locked, guests will be searched for weapons, and we’ll make sure that only those with an invitation will be allowed in.”

“We’ll be preparing our own drinks separately,” the queen added. “That includes you, Dorothy and Mathias. You’ll sit with us. Whoever is out there knows by now you’re staying here and you could be targets as well.”

“We don’t expect any trouble,” her father assured them. “But we’re not taking any chances.”

“Will you walk with me?” Mathias asked after dinner.

“Of course,” she said and he took their cloaks from the hanger by the door.

“I’m sorry, Your Highness,” a guard said at the back door. “No one is allowed to leave after nightfall.”

She sighed. “I understand.” She looked at Mathias. “Why don’t we go to the indoor greenhouse?”

He nodded and they made their way, still in their cloaks since the greenhouse wasn’t heated. It was snowing gently outside and she checked on the flowers.

“I had the gardener prepare red and white roses for Christmas,” she explained, inhaling their perfume. “Maybe we can put some as centerpieces on the tables.”

“That would look lovely,” he agreed and she took his arm as they strolled among the many plants, flowers, and herbs. “I spoke with your father after we got back from the lake,” he said and he sounded nervous.

“About what?” she asked, trying to keep her heart from racing too quickly. His nerves were infecting her as he stopped walking and she faced him.

He took her hands in his but didn’t look her in the eyes. “Um….” He groaned. “I’m terrible at this,” he muttered.

“What is it?” she asked.

“I’ve asked for his permission,” he mumbled, “to court you. So this is me asking if you’ll consider allowing me to.”

Her face was red as a brick and she looked down. She didn’t know what to say and she took a few minutes to observe her feelings for him. It was true she did have romantic feelings for him. She was confused, though, about why he would want to court her.

“Is it because I’m the princess?” she whispered.

“No,” he said. He said it so firmly that she looked up. He caressed her cheek. “I couldn’t care less if you were a beggar on the street.” He swallowed. “Arella, over time I’ve come to care about you like I never have with anyone else. Every day, all I want is to make sure you never experience heart ache again. I’m not asking you to marry me,” he added. “I’m just asking that you allow me to show you my true feelings for you.”

She was finding it hard to breathe.

“You really care that much about me?” she whispered and he nodded. She stood on her toes and kissed him lightly on the lips. “Then yes.”

He grinned and pulled her close, wrapping his arms around her tightly. She smiled and rested her head on his chest.

-

“I have no idea what to wear,” Arella groaned, tossing all of her dresses out of her wardrobe.

“It’s just a ball, sweetheart,” her mother said, smoothing her hair.

It had grown down to her shoulder blades, something she was extremely happy about. She was in a slip in her bedroom. The ball was starting in an hour and she was having trouble picking something.

“It’s not just a ball. Mathias is going to be there.”

Her mother smiled and kissed the top of her head. “I’m glad for you but we’re running out of time.”

Arella sighed and picked a long velvet red dress. She put it on and a pair of red heels while her mother tied her hair up in an elegant bun. She wrapped a ribbon around it and smiled at her in the mirror.

“I have such a beautiful daughter,” she said and Arella put a hand on her mother’s. “If only your brother were here to see this.”

They stood and went down to the kitchen to make their drinks. Dorothy was looking beautiful in a blue dress and grey shawl.

“The king and Mathias have already made theirs,” she said, pointing to two goblets that were packed away. “I’ve been keeping an eye on them in case whoever it is lives in the castle.”

The thought that someone in the same palace as her would want to kill her made Arella shudder and she poured out her favorite wine. She and her mother went back upstairs to wait for the cue that summons them to the ballroom. Arella paced nervously.

“Don’t worry,” her mother said, watching her. “You look beautiful.”

“What if the assassin is here tonight?” she asked, wringing her hands. “What if they try again?”

“They won’t,” her mother assured her. “We’re perfectly safe. I promise.”

From below, they could hear the sound of people entering the palace. Arella took a deep breath and followed her mother down the stairs into the waiting area. Her father was standing in his old military outfit with his hair slicked back. He kissed the queen and Arella on the cheek and offered his arm to his wife. Behind him, Mathias stood in a black suit with a green under shirt. He grinned at her and kissed her cheek.

“You look very beautiful,” he commented and she blushed.

“And you look handsome,” she returned.

The trumpets blew and they exited the room, crossing into the ballroom. They were announced and waved to the assembled crowd. Up at the table, Dorothy was placing the goblets at everyone’s chair, scrutinized by another guard.

“Does he think she’s the one?” Arella whispered, glaring at the guard.

“He’s just taking extra precaution,” her father said.

Everyone but her father sat down. He lifted his glass.

“Thank you everyone for coming this evening,” he said, his voice echoing off the walls. “My family and I are excited for getting to share this wonderful time of the season; a time where we can stand as one and enjoy one another’s company.” He motioned at the orchestra and they started up a slow waltz. “Please, enjoy.”

After more applause, her father sat down and they all took a drink tentatively. Everything seemed fine and Mathias held out his hand. Arella followed him down to the floor and he spun her before taking their place among the other dancers.

“Everything is going well so far,” Mathias said. She only nodded, her eyes sweeping across the hall. “You don’t have to worry, Arella. We’ll be fine.”

“Then why do I feel so anxious?” she muttered.

The waltz slowed and he pulled her a little closer, smiling. “Just trust everyone.”

She finally smiled back. “I’m in good hands.”

He held her hand tighter. “Yes, yes you are.”

The ball passed without incident. As the guests left, Arella noticed Mathias grimacing slightly. She stood on her toes and kissed her father on the cheek.

“I think Mathias needs to rest,” she whispered in his ear.

He nodded. “Check in with me once you’re on your way to your room. I want to make sure you get there safely.”

She agreed to and took Mathias’s arm. He looked at her questioningly, but she ignored it, leading him up the stairs. It was cold; no one had been tending to the fires and she shivered, moving closer to him. He slid his arm around her waist and she rested her head on his shoulder as they walked.

“I know you’re hurting,” she said when he tried to stop at her door.

But he forced her to stop. “I want to make sure you get to your room safely.”

She smiled. “So does my father. Come on, I’ll help you to your room.”

He sighed but allowed her to pull him down the hall. When they reached his door, he pulled her into a kiss. He held her close and, nervously, she licked his lower lip. He kissed her back, running his hand through her hair. She held onto him tightly and he fumbled for the door knob. They stumbled into his bedroom but he stopped suddenly.

“I can’t,” he whispered, stopping her from unbuttoning his jacket.

She stepped back. “You don’t want me?”

“Of course I do.”

“So what’s the problem?”

He sighed and showed her his hands. They were swollen again. “It’s my body, Arella. At night, it hurts.”

She sighed, too. “I understand. Well, good night.”

“Wait.” He grabbed her hand again and pressed her against the wall. He kissed her passionately and she melted in his arms. He ran his hands along her sides and she moaned quietly into his lips. “Someday,” he whispered, nuzzling her neck. “Someday, I promise.” He kissed her one more time. “Off to bed with you.”