Status: In progress

A Fresh Start

Chapter Eighteen: Love

The next morning, they went back to her sister’s house to meet her future husband and his family. Martin was tall with long blond hair and brown eyes. His mother and father had come with him.

“It’s great to meet you,” Cherise said, shaking his hand.

He only nodded and wrapped his arms around Jean, eyeing Micah as if he was afraid Micah would try to steal her.

“Do you know him?” Cherise muttered as everyone shook hands.

“Nope,” he shook his head.

“He’s just really protective of Jean,” his mother said, startling them both. “He really cares for her.”

Cherise smiled. “I’m glad Jean found someone who loves her so much.”

The next day was the wedding and Cherise found it hard to take a breath. Jean had her running all over the place until dark. Micah spent the day visiting with the rest of her family. Cherise had made him swear not to mention anything with Seth about Bryce and what he knew. Although he wasn’t happy about it, Micah agreed.

When dinner finally came around, they changed into nice clothes for the rehearsal dinner at an Italian restaurant. Micah changed in the bathroom.

“Your future brother-in-law sure is an interesting character,” he said and she rolled her eyes, stepping into a green cocktail dress.

“He seems a little cold,” she said, struggling to zip up her dress.

“He doesn’t talk much,” he agreed, “but maybe he’ll warm up to us.” He stepped out and started laughing. “What in the world are you doing?”

“Trying to zip up this damn dress,” she said.

She was turning in a circle, slapping her back.

Still laughing he stopped here. “Let me.”

She stopped and moved her hair out of the way. He zipped it up and kissed her neck gently.

“Easy,” she breathed as his hands slid around her stomach.

“Sorry,” he said quickly.

“I need some wine before all that,” she joked and he laughed. “You look very handsome.”

He was in a black suit with a white button up undershirt. She slipped into her heels while he put on his dress shoes. Lira was wagging her tail excitedly and Cherise giggled. She bent down and put a special ribbon on her leash.

“Um,” Micah mumbled and she stood up, red as a brick, and tugging down her dress.

“It’s your fault,” she said and he laughed. “You’re the one who made me get the dress.”

The restaurant was busy when they got there and the host led them to the room set aside for large parties like theirs. Micah pulled her seat out for her and sat beside her. Everyone was talking and Cherise did her best to avoid Seth’s eyes. He was glaring at her.

“What’s your problem?” Micah asked before Cherise could stop him.

“Bryce is in jail again,” Seth said coldly.

“Where he belongs,” Micah retorted and she put her hand on his knee, trying to get him to calm down.

“We were supposed to go on a ski trip this weekend.”

“What a shame you had to cancel.”

Seth opened his mouth to argue back but her mother stood up, tapping her spoon against a wine glass. Micah held her hand under the table.

“I’m so excited,” her mother said, her eyes sparkling. “Tomorrow, our two families will become one.” She raised her glass to Jean and Martin. “To the happy couple!”

Everyone raised their glasses and she took a sip. Dinner was awkward. Martin’s mother chattered away to Cherise about the wedding. Beside her, Micah and Martin’s father were talking about football. Across from her, Seth was stabbing his meal bitterly. Cherise’s mother kept glaring at him.

Finally, the end of the evening came and Cherise and Micah went back to the hotel. They changed into pajamas and climbed into bed. It took her a long time to get to sleep that night. She wasn’t looking forward to the next day.

“Are you going to keep this up all night?” Micah murmured sleepily.

“Sorry,” she sighed. “I just can’t sleep.”

He snuggled up to her. “Will this help?”

She smiled and closed her eyes. “Maybe.”

He chuckled and kissed the back of her neck. “Good night, Cherise."

-

“Time to wake up!”

Cherise pulled the pillow over her head.

“Nuh-uh,” she said into the mattress.

Micah laughed and pulled the covers off her. “Don’t make me get the cold water.”

“Rude,” she groaned.

“It’s your fault for staying up so late.”

She sighed and stretched opening the closet where she had put the bridesmaid’s dress Jean had given her. She opened the bag and groaned loudly.

“What is it?” Micah asked through the bathroom door.

Cherise struggled into it and open the door. Micah stifled laughter.

“Shut up!” she snapped.

It was a thigh length green dress with ruffles aplenty. Cherise knew there was supposed to be something special about dresses but that was pushing it. She struggled again with the dress as Micah led her out.

“This is worse than that skirt I wore at Felicia’s office,” she complained as he pulled in front of the chapel. “Well that’s weird,” she said, blinking.

“What do you mean? Lots of people get married in churches.”

“My sister always swore she wouldn’t marry in a church,” she answered, walking in with him.

Micah shrugged and sat down while Cherise went into the back to help Jean get ready.

-

The wedding was beautiful and the reception was fun. Martin had loosened up around them and joked around with them as they ate cake. Cherise was drinking some soda when Lira started whining again.

“You okay?” Micah asked but she shook her head.

“I think I should leave,” she whispered. “The last thing I need is to have a seizure at her wedding. She’ll hate me forever.”

They stood and Cherise kissed her sister on the cheek.

“Congratulations,” she said, shaking Martin’s hand.

“Where are you going?” Jean asked, pouting.

“Lira’s hungry,” she said.

“Oh, okay. I’ll see you later.”

They waved good bye and Cherise groaned when they got back into the hotel room.

“Thank goodness that’s over,” she said. “I can’t wait to get this dress off!”

Micah went into the bathroom first and she took her shoes off, struggling with her dress.

“What was she thinking?” she mumbled to herself, trying to pull it over her head. When that didn’t work, she tried sliding it off. “Damn it.”

Micah came up, taking his jacket off. He laughed. “Having trouble?”

“She must have gotten my dress size mixed up,” she sighed. He laughed again and she glared. “Instead of laughing, how about you help me?”

He snorted and, with a strong tug, they managed to get it passed her hips.

“Oh thank goodness,” she sighed in relief.

“Cherise,” her said, his voice low and she looked up.

His eyes were lingering on her chest. She blushed, covering that and her thighs. The dress lay at her ankles and she gulped, trying to think of something, anything to do. He stepped closer and she tried to move back but she was against the bed. He put his hands on her face and made her look up at him. Without breaking eye contact, he moved her hands.

She was finding it hard to breathe as he unhooked her bra.

“Mics,” she whispered.

“Don’t you want to?” he asked.

She blushed and bit her lip. “I do,” she admitted. “But I’m scared. It’ll hurt.”

He kissed her deeply and hooked his thumbs into her underwear. Heart racing, she began to shake.

“I’ll be gentle,” he promised, kissing her neck. “I promise.”

“I’m scared,” she repeated as he slid her underwear to the floor.

“I promise.”

She gulped and began to unbutton his shirt. She slipped it off and unbuckled his belt. He kissed her and led her to the bed. They fell on top of it and she swallowed thickly. He stroked her cheek.

“It’ll be okay,” he whispered and, keeping his eyes on hers, he moved into her.

She gasped as he moved. He didn’t take his eyes off of hers until she closed her eyes, sighing in pleasure. He kissed her breasts then moved up to her collarbone. He sucked gently on it.

“Micah,” she panted, running her hand in his hair. “Faster.”

He obliged immediately and moaned deeply into her ear. She couldn’t control her moans as she pulled gently at his hair. She arched her back, crying out as she climaxed. She fell back, panting. Her body was covered in sweat as he kept moving until, after one last rough thrust, he collapsed on top of her.

They lay there, panting, for a few seconds before he got up to dispose of the condom. He pulled the blankets over them and she turned on her side to look at him. He caressed her cheek and kissed her deeply.

She couldn’t think of anything to say but nothing could come to her. He kissed her lips and she closed her eyes, wrapping her arms around him tightly.
♠ ♠ ♠
More tomorrow.