‹ Prequel: Keep It Kasual

Family Goals

Chapter 1

**August 28th, 2015 Kallie’s POV***

“Je vous déclare mari et femme. Vous pouvez embrasser la mariée. (I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride.)”

I heard the priest say those words but I couldn’t see who it was, what I saw was the brief period of time between those words and my own first wedded kiss. Kris looked so good in his tux, Alex too for that matter. I feel the ghosting of his hand on my cheek and those lovely dark eyes coming closer. Then the chapel erupts into cheers and breaks my reverie.

Not long after everyone else is standing and cheering, I joined them. I don’t think anyone noticed my lateness, and even if they did I have a good reason. I picked up my belongings and slowly made my way out of the chapel. I knew that Kris would find me soon enough so I was not worried. A couple guests tried to engage me in conversation, but my mind was flittering between the differences of now and a month ago.

##FLASHBACK July 26, 2015##

“Auntie I love it! I look like Elsa!” I couldn’t help but giggle as Ava turned around in her dress. I was glad we got the slips to go underneath, neither Ava or Estelle were complaining about being itchy.

I held as still as I could while getting my own hair done and spoke. “Well, what’s a wedding without a few princesses?” Everyone chuckled. Ciera was carefully twining my hair in the braid she had chosen for today. “Or maybe in this case a few visiting queens and their princesses.”

Aleks sighed and rubbed her ankles again. “I think I might kill him.” She had been saying this for the last several hours, none of us paid any attention to it anymore.

Vero waved a hand as she finished off her hair. “Please, you will not hurt him at all. You are glowing and we can hide you behind us so your child does not make an appearance before you are ready.” Aleks was about 6 months pregnant and was going between wanting to kill Sid and other things that we tried to keep away from the kids in the room.

##End Flashback##

There was a chuckle at my elbow. I turned my head, embarrassed I had been caught, and found my husband next to me. “Let me guess what you were thinking about…”

“Hush. It’s hard to be here and not think of our own wedding.” I smacked him lightly. He pulled me close and kissed my temple.

“It was the best day of my life, I too have been remembering. You looked beyond beautiful.” I sighed and leaned against him. “Etienne asked if you wanted to get more formal pictures of us tonight or just the casual ones. I said casual were more our style.”

I laughed. “We took enough formal pictures last month. Oh speaking of, Blair emailed me while you were with the crew. We should be getting our digital proofs in a week or so. Means we can look at the on good monitors.”

Kris led me out of the chapel slowly. “I can’t wait.” I was very glad that we had decided on a minimalist flower scheme as we waded through the ones Sarah chose. Kris nuzzled my ear as we exited. “We will have at least one dance, no?”

I giggled. “Probably, but I doubt the ones tonight will bring good memories for years like ours will.” Our first dance was suggested by Ciera, ‘Faithfully’ by Journey. It fit so well and for those who knew what had nearly happened underlined that we were solid. Dad and I danced to ‘Time of our life’ as planned which had my grandparents tearing up. Kris and his mom danced to ‘Unforgettable’ by both Natalie and Nat “King” Cole.

“Oh, probably not. Then again how often do mother and son dance like you and Alex did?” I shrugged. I loved that once Alex understood that there would be special dances for only a few people, he wanted one with his mama. “Your choice was perfect for you two. You have shown him a whole new world and he loves you so much for it.”

By now we were getting into the limo to move to the reception. Another of Kris’ childhood friends was in with us. “So Kris, I heard your wedding was simple and yet a blow out. You worried Etienne will top it?”

Kris laughed. “Why would we be worried? Ours was perfect for us as theirs will be for them. This is no competition.” Besides I knew that Sarah had loved some of the ideas we had and asked if she could borrow them. Heck I gave her their own set of bathroom baskets for tonight.

I thought about how our reception had been and sighed. It had been perfect for us. I could still see all of the photos from past family weddings at everyone entered. It had been moved for our Grand Entrance but it was perfect. Alex and his own kids zone with games and fun and best of all personalized floor pillows for all of those under 18.

##FLASHBACK##

We were cued up outside the doors, waiting for the Grand Entrance. Rachel was waiting by the door to cue us for the beginning. She and I had a great time in planning our big day, from the smallest detail to the largest she made it all fun. “Ok, it’s almost time. You all look wonderful.” The DJ started the ‘Throne Room Theme’ from Star Wars, Kris giggled which made me smile. I couldn’t wait for him to see our chairs.

We let the kids go first, right after the song started, and they got to share out loud the joy we had been careful in holding back until now. Jacque and Aleks started through the door on their cue and then Max and Vero. Duper and Paula were almost in lockstep as they went through. Flower bumped Kris’ shoulder and grinned. “No backing out now.” It made the 4 of us laugh before her escorted Ciera into the room.

Kris kissed the back of my hand. “I have found my heart and I will never let her go.” I teared up, I swear that man was trying to make my makeup run. I heard Rachel sigh heavily. I could barely see but she must have cued Kris to go cause he held onto my arm and we began to move. I blinked rapidly and was able to clear my vision right before we walked through the doors.

##End Flashback##

“Reviens mon amour. (Come back my love.)” Kris whispered in my ear while we moved through the hotel to the reception space. “There you are. Where were you?”

I sighed longingly. “Walking into our reception.”

Kris pulled us to a stop and then me into his arms. “Ah, that explains it. It was an epic entrance and one I am not sure I can ever thank you for.” We began moving again and caught a glimpse of the space we would be celebrating in. It was much more formal in decor than ours had been.

“Wow, This looks like a flower shop blew up a bit.” I whispered as we waited for our chance to find our table. That was something I was happy to do away with for our reception. Yes it was an afternoon wedding so inherently less formal, but we had found a balance of the formality we wanted and the playfulness we needed.

I felt more than heard Kris chuckle. He then whispered in my ear. “Not every bride had a 2 ⅕ year old as a helper.” That was true, Alex did help me make decisions when Kris wasn’t there to ask directly or didn’t care. “You two made some great decisions though. We had a fun and festive reception, perfect for who was there.”

I giggled. “Well, it was the streamers and lanterns, they gave it a fun air.”

Kris hummed as he found our table assignment. “Ballons maman, pas une fête sans ballons. (Balloons mama, not a party without balloons.)” He parroted back at me which made me laugh and get some glares. “What? We can not laugh at our son when he is being cute?” Kris said as he deflected the glares. “He is 2 and ¾ we are allowed to find joy in him.” Yes that ¾ was very important.

After finding our table Kris sat me down and went to go get us drinks. I knew no one really at the table, until Stephanie Bergeron sat next to me. “Oh thank god, I’ll know someone here.” She said happily.

I smiled and tried not to laugh too loudly. “You took the words right out of my mouth.”

She looked great for being 7 months along. “I swear the weddings he gets invited to keep growing. I didn’t even know he knew the groom until your wedding.” She sighed as she leaned back a little.

“The Quebecois contingent of the NHL knows everyone I swear.” I said back in a conspiratorial tone. “In this case Etienne and Kris have been friends for decades.” I leaned closer to her and lowered my voice. “I can’t help but compare this one to mine last month. I know I shouldn’t but I can’t help it.”

She giggled. “I’ve been doing the same, I think yours was more festive. More about family and it’s importance than just you two. It made it more special.”

“Oh god they are already talking, Tanger we are doomed.” Patrice said as they came back with our drinks.

Kris sat down and placed a soft kiss on my neck. “I would not mind being doomed if that is to be happy and with the one I love.” Stephanie smacked Patrice and gave him that look of ‘see, he can be romantic’. “Speaking, however, of doomed. I know Talbo is still with you guys in Boston. He’s a good guy to have in the room, knows when to make jokes and when to be serious. Jassmine is a great person too.”

Stephanie sighed heavily. “I don’t think I could do what she’s done twice.” She rubbed her belly. “How do you pack your entire life twice on a moment’s notice?”

I patted her arm. “If it helps, I doubt you’ll ever find out. Jass is a strong person. Did you know she was weeks away from having their twins when the first trade happened? She sent him to the team and in the next two weeks packed everything and moved. Then a bit over a year later she did the same thing. She’s so lucky that Jax and Nikki travel so well or that could have been hell for everyone.”

Kris was taken away for Best Man duties, leaving me with Patrice and Stephanie. She and I talked about how to care for babies of all ages. I gave her my number and told her not to worry, she was in good hands between the moms on the team and myself. “Just remember they are all potty trained by the time they go to school and if you ever get frustrated, put them in a safe place and walk away for a few minutes.” It still worked at nearly 3 when Alex frustrated me.

Patrice laughed weakly. “How do you not screw them up too badly? I’m nervous I will.”

Kris had heard the last few seconds. “That by itself means you won’t.” He took my hand on the table and squeezed it. “Being a parent is not easy but it is something no one I know would change for the world.” I leaned against Kris, we had been kind of trying for our second little one, not that we were telling people that.

The reception passed as an enjoyable evening, and our last before going back to Pittsburgh without Alex. He had a sleepover date with his grandparents. Upon getting home we took the chance and tried yet again for a sibling.
♠ ♠ ♠
Welcome to the continuation of the saga of the Letang Family! As you can tell this is set after their wedding and during the season of 2015-2016.

Please let me know what you think and if you have questions or comments. I welcome them and they keep me writing for everyone!

HERE is the Pinterest board for their wedding for those who are interested.