Status: still in working progress

Breaking the 4th

Cracked

I don’t get it. Honestly,” Hyun muttered under his breath. “What the hell is up with this place?

The duo stuck to their defensive strategy, sticking close to the wall and cautiously moving forward within the shadows. Shatter exhaled slowly and as quietly as she could manage, and kept an ever-vigilant eye on their surroundings. Her heart was pounding hard and a lump seemed to have formed in her throat that she feared that she was turning blue with anxiety.

I could’ve sworn…I’ve came this way just a while back.” Hyun continued. “But I’ve never seen this before…

He then came to an abrupt halt, causing Shatter to walk straight into his back. A strangled gurgling sound escaped her as her nose slammed into the surprisingly hard surface and she jumped, shocked and tense.
“H-Hyun, what is it?” she stammered. “And…oh, ow.
Shatter sniffed, and nursed her nose, quickly checking for any blood. Because getting a nosebleed now would be embarrassing and completely inconvenient to say the least. When she didn’t hear a response Shatter looked up to see Hyun standing completely still.

“Hyun, what?” she repeated, leaning away from the wall slightly to peer past him.
She immediately realized what had brought Hyun to a stop.

Just a bit further down the hall, not even five yards away was a stone archway. And underneath was an open entrance to a narrow stairwell.

“What the...stairs?” Shatter spoke incredulously, “How did we miss this?”

We didn’t.” Hyun replied in a hushed tone. “Somehow this place is changing.

“Changing…” Shatter echoed.

Her travel companion’s words didn’t surprise her but it was illogical, irrational and completely nonsensical. It was all these things and yet she has seen things in her short time here that she simply couldn’t explain. If rules of logic didn’t apply before, why should it suddenly start to now.
Shatter stared at the newly discovered staircase, eyeing it warily.
“We shouldn’t trust it, should we?” she said.

No, we shouldn’t.” Hyun agreed. “But do you see any other choices?

“Nope. Not a single one.” Shatter replied.

Hyun let out a strained sigh before rolling his shoulders back.
Keep an eye on the back. And stay close,” he reminded her, as he stepped forward. “This may be that monster’s plan, to sneak up from behind.

“Now why the hell would you say something like that, in this situation, hmm?” Shatter hissed at his back.

But she followed him without any further protest, sticking close to his back and keeping a vigilant eye behind her as he had ever-so-kindly suggested.
Shatter instinctively held her breath as she passed under the mysterious stone archway. Only when nothing happened as she placed her foot on the first step did she let out her breath, but even then she found that she couldn’t relax.

This staircase was narrow and wound around in a tight spiral, a typical design in these old gothic architectures. It was darker here, which unsettled Shatter greatly, the only source of light coming in from the narrow glassed slits in the thick exterior stone wall that cocooned them.

Her injured knee throbbed and groaned, protesting against the new strain it was under. Shatter ignored it, much more concerned with the menacing dark. Careful not to trip, she continued after Hyun, glancing back behind her every few steps she took.
Finally, after what seemed like hours some light cut through the dark, allowing for better vision. Like the light at the end of a tunnel, Shatter felt a smidge of hope flicker inside her anxiety-ridden chest as she counted down the last few steps she saw. Finally they can be free from this death-trap stairwell and out into the open. Which was just another death-trap, as long as they couldn’t spot the hooded figure.
Hey, at least there is light there. the girl thought to herself. I’d rather die where it’s brightly lit.

Hyun stepped onto the flat landing, took a few steps and stopped. This time, Shatter was able to put her hand up in defense before walking into him again.
“Hey, careful.” she muttered, tapping his shoulder.

She frowned, realizing he had stiffened. The last time he did this was the discovery of stairs, what was it this time?
“Hyun,” she repeated.

This can’t be right.” he said.

Something in his tone made her lean around him and peer up at his face. Hyun looked troubled, his brows knitted in deep confusion and his mouth slightly parted in a stunned expression. Alarmed, Shatter followed his line of sight to the scene before them. Just broken stone and light vegetation, just like the other hallways.

“Hyun, what is it?” she questioned. “What’s wrong?”

I was here.” he spoke, his voice barely audible.

“What do you mean?” Shatter demanded.

To that Hyun responded by stepping forward, leaving the defensive post by the wall and towards a column straight ahead.

“Hyun!” Shatter hissed, alarmed by his sudden action. “Hey, what are you doing?”

He didn’t reply and approached the column cryptically. Bemused, and unable to stay back any longer, Shatter left the safety of the wall and tiptoed after him. As she got closer, she saw what Hyun was preoccupied with.
A small smudge of red was on the stone, as if to be smeared by something that had pressed down on it. Shatter could tell from the slight sheen, it was still wet.
She watched as Hyun reached up and traced the stain with a finger and she caught sight of his jacket sleeve. A large tear was in the fabric, dark red specks standing out against the pine green...

Blood.

Sudden realization hit Shatter like a brick wall. She grabbed his wrist and pulled the arm toward her.
Hey,” he protested against her forceful motion.

Shatter ignored him and pushed the sleeve up to his elbow. And lo and behold, an angry red gash broke the skin across his forearm, still oozing blood.
“You’re injured,” she breathed, stunned. “What are you thinking, walking around like this?”

I noticed it here too, when I leaned my arm against this column to take a small break.” he told her. “I must’ve cut it in the stream, on the rocks when I fell in…

“You idiot, I didn’t ask for a story,” she grouched. “Do you want to go septic?”

She inspected the wound briefly. Oozing meant capillaries, it didn’t seem deep enough to hit any major vessels and swelling was minimal.
“We need to treat this first before we go anywhere.” Shatter said. She turned and tugged on the sleeve at his shoulder, careful not to touch the injury. “For now, let’s head back to the stairs, where we can stay hidden while we take care---”

She looked back to the wall where they had come from and froze. In that moment, she could’ve sworn all her blood drained from her face and was pooling at her feet.

The staircase was nowhere to be seen, unbroken stone in the place of where the archway should’ve been.

Shatter.” Hyun said, making her look back at him. She saw an unsettling look on his face. “I was never upstairs… this means, we’re back where we started.

How was that even possible? Shatter had climbed those steps, following Hyun. They were real; she felt the stone and the tight dark passage, the strain on her injured knee with every step she climbed.
Shatter found herself walking back to the wall, where the stairs should’ve started. Her hands pressed against the cold stone, confirming it was no illusion. She searched around her, taking in her surroundings. Beyond the column, towards the middle of this church, she saw the rows of benches and pews, some broken and some rotted to dust. And just further down to her right, was the dust-layered remnants of what looked to be an altar and podium, seemingly unused in a very long time.

Of course, this was ground level. It was as if the stairs never happened.

Shatter inhaled and breathed out slowly, trying to expel the weight of unease that swelled in her chest. Her exhale came out shaky, and all too unconvincing. This was too much to absorb; the lack of logic was uprooting her sanity.
Defeated, she turned back to the wall and pressed her forehead against the cool surface. She closed her eyes, feeling the sense of hopelessness sink in.
I can’t do this. No more…Screw it. Let that thing find us.

Shatter…” Hyun spoke in a strained voice, sounding tired. “Come on…

His voice broke through the tense silence, snapping her out of her thoughts. And immediately a wave of shame and regret washed over her.
She wasn’t the only one here running.

Hey… Listen,” Hyun went on.

“Hold on,” Shatter cut in, before he could say anything else.

She couldn’t bring herself to turn and look at him. She couldn’t help but feel as if she had betrayed this guy. It’s been a little over an hour, and this stranger has been her only comfort. She knew nothing about him and he about her and yet he had already saved her once.
He doesn’t even have to run with me. That thing is after me… she thought. I am putting him in danger.

Shatter,” he said, sounding a bit exasperated.

“Just give me a moment.” she added. “I’ll make it quick, I promise.”

Hyun didn’t say anything more, and seemed to allow her the moment. So she took it to gather her thoughts.

Hyun sounded exhausted… of course he’s exhausted. Being scared and clueless and lost was draining; Shatter knew that better than anyone now. And yet he is here with her, trying to talk her off of the metaphorical ledge. For what? Who else but for her sake? And he didn’t have to run; if that thing wasn’t after him, he didn’t have to stick with her and put himself at risk. Being this clueless and her knee messed up, she was dead-weight just dragging him down.
Shatter sighed out forcefully, getting angry with herself.

What the hell was her excuse? All she’s done so far is bitch at Hyun undeservingly, transferring all her frustrations onto the first stranger she met. And yet he’s stuck by her, even worrying about her well being.
Tears started to well up, threatening to spill.
Dammit, how pathetic. she thought. I am such an asshat. A pathetic asshat!... Don’t cry, shit. I am going to---

Shatter pushed lightly with her hands and pulled her forehead away from the stone wall. She inhaled sharply, and without another thought, thrust her head forward with full intent. Her forehead met stone with a sound and solid thud, the force of the headbutt rocking her all the way down to her feet.
Ow!” she cried out. Her hands shot up to clutch the newly made lump on her forehead as she fell back to ground. “Dammit, that hurts like a bitch!

But that strike did what was intended. Shatter got back up swiftly, and turned around. Hyun was staring at her, looking very taken aback. Shatter did a final check for blood on her forehead before walking back to him.
“Sorry, I’m better now.” she said. “Hyun, let me take a look at the cut on your arm.”

Hyun blinked at her, still looking alarmed and confused.
Wh-what?” he stammered out.

Shatter just grabbed him by the front of his jacket and started to tug him towards the pews.
“Come on, while we have the chance.” she said. “And after I’m done patching you up, I want you to run.”

She had only gotten three or four steps forward when Hyun stopped.
What do you mean?” he asked quietly.

Shatter glanced back at the sudden resistance, biting back an annoyed comment. She saw him staring at her with wide eyes.
“I want you to run.” she repeated.
She tugged at his jacket, this time harder. But he didn’t budge.
“Seriously, dude?” she demanded. She leaned back this time to put some weight into her tow, but he still didn’t move. “Do you want your arm to rot off?”

Hyun abruptly moved, swiping his hand sideways and swatting Shatter’s hand off of his jacket, throwing her off balance.
What the hell are you saying?” he said coldly. “What do you mean, you want me to run?

“Run means run, I don’t think I need to explain that much.” Shatter returned in the same tone. “Now let me see your arm---”

Shatter reached forward for his injured arm, but Hyun stepped back, pulling his arm behind him and out of reach. He regarded her with a scowl, an expression that annoyed her.
“Hyun,” she sighed out, stepping forward. He stepped back two more steps, distancing himself further.
“Really, are you going to be a child?” she demanded. “We don’t have all day---”

There was a sound of an exhaled breath, the tone soft and gentle right next to her ear. All Shatter saw was a hand, the skin bluish pale in color, the long tapered fingers extending like claws as it swiped down at her.

Click.


Blinding pain blossomed from the whole left side of her upper body and suddenly Shatter was aware that she was airborne, limbs flailing out of control. Her mind went blank, unable to register what was happening.
Her back made contact with something solid and it gave way to the weight of her body as she crashed. Sounds of loud splintering wood snapped against her skull and eardrums and a choked gasp escaped her as the air was knocked efficiently from her lungs. Her neck snapped back from impact with a loud crack and her vision went spotty. Loud ringing came into her ears, numbing her jostled brain further.

Can’t...breathe…

Her lungs were spasming in her ribcage, unable to function properly. Her heart thundered in panic, only aggravating her condition. Pain. Pain everywhere.

What’s happening?

New sounds, muffled and distorted, rang out and vibrated in the air. Shatter blinked, shook her head in attempt to clear the fog. She was regaining her vision now, slowly but surely. Gingerly, she started to sit up.

Someone was yelling, making an awful lot of noise. She knew that voice… What were they saying?

String of a foreign language tore through the air, a tone of genuine fear in the man’s voice. Shatter looked around, dazed. Her eyes landed on a black wispy looking mass on the ground only several yards away, greyish smoke rising from the back. It moved, shaky and unsteady as it rose, and Shatter could make out a bony spine through the threadbare black fabric of the cloak. It stopped all movement when it was on all fours.

...Click. Click-click...Click.


Something moved from behind the hooded creature, shifting Shatter’s half-dazed attention. Someone was on the ground, struggling to get up under some rubble. Her vision finally focused and saw Hyun, who was pushing against the pile of debris that had pinned his arm down.

Hyun’s voice sounded distant as Shatter regained full-consciousness.

---et up! Get up! Shatter!

It was the return of subtitles that seemed to finally make things click. Shatter felt as if she was slapped in the face, her brain catching up to speed quickly. Habits kicked in as she glanced around quickly to assess the situation. Evidently she had been thrown with such great force that it had launched her right into the broken pews. The force was enough to knock her nearly unconscious. Hyun too, seemed to have got caught in the attack, as he was now half buried under debris and struggling on the other side of the aisle.
And there, right in between the two was the hooded creature, crouched on the ground on all fours.

Shatter, run!

Hyun’s words overlapped with the definite click that snapped through the air, and Shatter saw the creature dip lower towards the ground, it’s shoulder blades pressing up through the cloak.
It’s going to pounce.

Shatter pushed backwards, scrambling to distance herself away from this creature. But her body was still not fully cooperative, her left side jabbing with needles. The creature dove forward right at her, its movements fast and lethal. The claw-like hands reached forward, the sharp points aimed, straight for her face as it let out a string of that awful noise---

CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK!


Shatter didn’t dare look away. She reached behind her, grabbed the first thing in her reach and she swung with all the strength she could muster.
She felt her weapon make contact with a solid crack, like wood on something hard but hollow. The creature reeled back, abruptly becoming silent. Despite not showing sign of damage by Shatter’s assault, it crawled back two paces and sat up. Then, as if to be confused, it tilted its head to the side.

...click-click.


For some odd reason, the sound felt like a question to Shatter. It looked as if it couldn’t comprehend what had happened, maybe it didn’t expect to be clubbed in the face. The girl gripped the slab of wood she had picked up tight in her fist, bracing for another attack.
The creature smoothly lifted its hand to somewhere under its hood, and traced its talon like finger down in a curve. Then, it turned to face Shatter.

The place on the head where Shatter had made contact had torn the fabric of the hood, revealing what was hidden underneath. And there it was, the black-lipped harlequin smile that cut through the pale blue. But where there should’ve been eyes there was nothing but sunken depression in the skin. No eyes, but smiling.

Cold unadulterated fear paralyzed Shatter, and she felt all the strength she had left drain away. The face. It looked like a mask; black lips painted on with precision, the skin perfect and smooth like porcelain. And yet the only damage she was able to make was a thin hairline crack on its temple.

This time, its approach was slow, as if to enjoy taking its time. Quick would’ve been merciful, Shatter could see that now. It was as if this was its revenge against her for fighting against it, ruining its perfect mask.
The creature raised its hand, showing off the claw like tips of its fingertips. Something that sharp looking would have no trouble tearing through flesh. Slowly, as if to savor its moment of victory, it reach forward towards Shatter’s face…

Something clattered and bounced off the creature’s back, landing next to Shatter. For the first time, she looked away from the approaching creature and down at the ground. A rock, a piece of rubble. Another clutter sounded and a smaller rock joined her on the ground, rolling to a stop just a few feet away.

...click...click...click


Shatter felt the creature move away, standing up straight, no longer paying her no mind. It turned to look at the source of the uninvited disturbance.

Hyun, still half-pinned by debris, stared at the creature, fear and uncertainty written all over his face. And in his free hand was another stone.
The moment the creature turned fully towards him, the stone fell from his grip, his eyes growing wide in shock. Frantically he started to push against the wooden pillar that pinned his shoulder in an attempt to free himself.

Shatter heard him gasping and grunting in effort, a sinking feeling of dread hitting her stomach. He had made himself a target.
“No… no, wait! Don’t…”

The creature started to crouch, sinking down on all fours like a cat before a prey. It was going to jump.

...Click.


Shatter had launched herself forward without thinking, just as it took its first step. With the small scraps of strength she had left, she took hold of the tail end of the cloak and yanked.
The cloak was cold to the touch, and she could feel the threads cutting into her hands like wire. Without pausing, she pulled with her whole body weight towards the pile of debris, taking the creature with her. It staggered backwards once, being caught off guard for a few seconds. Shatter took that moment to take the slab of wood and stab it right into the creature’s gut like a makeshift stake. She felt it stab through and lodge into the pile of wood and stone, pinning the cloak into the broken pews.
Shatter jumped back quickly, but not quick enough. She felt the claws before she saw it, and the biting pain as it tore into her right side. She gasped out a fearful cry, stumbled and fell to the ground, but wheeled around to look back at the creature.
The creature didn’t make any noise, but it reached towards her with snapping claws. Shatter saw the dribble of red on the tips of the fingertips, and she could see that it wasn’t enough to satisfy. It would have to deal with the loss.

She kicked away from the pinned creature, scrambled to a stand and ran towards Hyun. He had finally managed to dislodge his arm from the pile and was getting up.
Shatter didn’t give him a moment to recover as she grabbed him by his arm and ran, leaving the creature smiling it’s black-lipped harlequin smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
...is this chapter, wordy?

IDK, I thought I was satisfied with this chapter, but not it looks wordy...
Please, give me feedback, constructive crit is always welcome.

ANYWAYS, I hope this makes up for the delay in updating. I will actually have the next chapter up soon. And then I get to introduce a new character. YAY