It Happens in Threes

It Happens in Threes Chapter 2

I sat down at my desk still full from brunch with the girls. I sipped the fresh cup of coffee that I made, and got back to work.
I finished up my article on the fashion show, I added in some pictures that I took and emailed it to my boss. I opened up another Word Document and started to write another articled called ‘He Cheated…Now What?’
I let my own anger and confusion fuel me as I typed. Every now and then I would get a little misty eyed as I wrote. I glanced over at my things in the boxes from Kevin’s, which I still haven’t touched. I blinked away tears and started writing again.
I was done with my little side piece within the hour. I proof read it and emailed it to my boss. Hopefully, she likes it and uses it for this month’s issue.
I glanced at the time and deiced that I should start getting ready.
*****
I pulled out my red cocktail dress from my closet and placed it on my bed. That was Kevin’s favorite dress and tonight it’s going to be someone else’s favorite dress.
I wiggled into the dress and put on my red heels. I touched up my hair and makeup before I packed my clutch. I put on my leather jacket, grabbed my phone and my keys and left my apartment.
About fifteen minutes later I was at Amber’s apartment. I was a little early but I’m sure she wouldn’t mind. I buzzed myself into the building and headed up to her apartment. I could hear music coming from her room before I reached her door. I smiled to myself as I knocked on her door.
“Jen Jen!” she said as she opened the door.
“Pre gaming?” I asked.
“Hell yeah!” she said leading me to her kitchen. “Jenifer this is Kimberly, Kim this is Jen,” Amber said introducing me to her employee. I shook her hand and smiled at her.
“Alright! Everyone has to take a shot. Jen Jen you have to catch up,” Amber said purring whisky into three shot glasses.
“Amber, you know I hate whisky,” I said making a face.
“Oh don’t be a baby,” she said handing me my shot.
I rolled my eyes and quickly took the shot and quickly cashed it with soda.
“That’s my girl!” Amber said smiling as Kim giggled and took another sip of her soda.
“That was awful,” I muttered sipping some more soda.
“Well you have to do it again!” Amber said. She feed me two more shots before we all took our forth shot together.
We get ready to head out as Amber called for an Uber. Once we were into the lobby we waved down our driver and headed to one of the popular bars in the city.
******
“So, what do you do for work?” I asked the young good looking man in a suit in front of me.
He smiled, “I’m a manager at bank”.
“Oh look at you,” I said sipping on the beer he bought me.
He chuckled, “I know. What about you?”
“I work for Cosmopolitan Magazine,” I said simply.
“Oh wow, that’s really cool,” he said.
“It’s no big deal. I get to travel sometimes which is nice”.
“That’s really cool. I’ll start buying the Cosmopolitan,” he joked.
I laughed.
“So what brings you here tonight?” I asked.
“See that guy dancing like a loser?” he pointed to a man dancing around with a martini in his hand.
I chuckled, “yeah”.
“He’s my best friend and he just got dumped. So, we’re having a guys’ night, kind of. We all kind of ditched him. What brings you here?”
“I just dumped myself,” I said smiling. “See that girl over there, shamelessly flirting?” I said pointing to Amber.
“Yeah”.
“She wanted to me to go out and meet a man to forget about the boy I dated”.
“Well…” he said smiling at me. “Am I helping you forget?”
I smiled, “you are”.
There was a little pause and we just smiled at each other. He slowly leaned in and I met him in the middle. He kissed me slowly and didn’t try to eat my whole face. He had soft lips and placed his hand on the small of my back. I smiled and placed my hand on his check.
We pulled away and smiled at each other.
“So…I don’t want to sound rude, but do you want to come back to my place?” he asked smiling.
“Yes,” I said smiling.
“Want to tell your friend?” he asked as I finished my beer.
“No, she knows I’ll be okay,” I said putting on my jacket.
“Well alright,” he said taking my hand and leading me out.
I looked over my shoulder and made eye contact with Amber. I winked at her and she smiled and pointed at me. I grinned and followed my one night stand out of the bar.
*******
My eyes popped open and I saw him fast asleep next to me. I mentally groaned and rolled over. I was starting to feel hung over already. I grabbed my phone and checked the time.
I mentally groaned again.
I opened the Uber app and requested a ride to Amber’s place, to get my car. I quickly and quietly got out of his bed and gathered my things. I got dressed and quietly left his apartment.
As I waited for the elevator a woman walked over next to me. We smiled at each other.
“I’m glad I’m not the only one sneaking out,” she said chuckling.
“Yeah…the walk of shame is better in a group,” I said.
“True, how was it?” she asked as the elevator opened.
“Pretty great,” I said as we walked inside. “What about you?”
“Same,” she smiled. “He was rather kinky for a lawyer”.
We both laughed then fell silent. Once the doors opened we wished each other a safe and good night then went our separate ways.
I walked over to my Uber and climbed into the back seat.