Miss Lonely

Miss Lonely

Auden was strolling down the empty streets a cold Tuesday night, after having consumed an appreciable amount of whisky at a bar with a friend. He was befuddled, and trying to find his way home. He thought of a certain girl, whom he inhaled certain green substances with the night before. He found her alluring, he really did. However, women of her species had a tendency of making him depressed. With a force of attraction as great as ten suns and the heat of a hundred, the chance of escaping unharmed was close to none, and that thought put him down. The very thought of her touched him deeply as when looking at a beautiful piece of art. Because that’s what she was - a piece of art. Perfection was not amongst the words on his mind when approaching the impossible act of actually putting words on that alien creature of a woman. Imperfection would be a more incisive adjective. Artistic and perfect were titled opposites in the mind of Auden. The inner reflection of his was abrupted with the sudden view of the suburbs, which he had been taken to under the influence of the thoughts of the girl from the apartment. The grey lifelessness of the suburbs made him turn around immediately. Back to life. He found a small café named “Miss Lonely” downtown, and postponed his original plan of going home. The lights and life of the city were turning down as the night slowly transformed into early morning. Yet the cafe was still open. Being relatively tall, Auden had to duck to get under the narrow door frame of the basement café. The air was warm and safe, and Auden unzipped his jacket. The time considered, there were a relatively substantial amount of people in the basement café that morning. Auden noticed a sign in the window.

24 hour open mic - first thursday every month

Despite the rather large group of people gathered, the atmosphere was still mute. Auden found it interesting, and looked towards the small stage in the other end of the café. The room was quadratic with a square bar in the middle keeping the bartenders imprisoned in the center of the café. The walls were covered in paintings made by local artists in every conceivable style. There were small booths of bordeaux red couches slithering along the walls, accompanied by stylish wooden tables with candles upon them. Some lit, some not. The sensory perception of the room reminded Auden of the apartment of the girl whom he inhaled the green substances with. It even smelled like her. He thought of her, even missed her for a brief moment. However, he knew that girls like her meant trouble, so he ordered a drink in the bar to dissolve the thoughts of her. While ordering, he saw two people from the corner of his eye - a guy and a girl, approaching the stage, the guy with a guitar in his left hand. The mute atmosphere was strengthened by a silent staring towards the stage. The duo on stage didn’t introduce themselves, they just sat at the two bar stools that had been located on the wooden stage. While he was tuning the guitar the girl looked up and made eye contact with Auden. Auden’s spine shivered as her look reminded him of the girl from the apartment. It was different, yet the same. He again found his mind wandering off out of control, infecting his body with a warm feeling with the scent of the apartment-girl. He quickly brushed the feeling off and repayed attention to the couple on stage, who in the meantime had started playing. He didn’t recognize the song at first. The girl was singing, and he payed attention to the lyrics.

A day once dawned
a day once dawned from the ground
then the night, she fell
and the air was beautiful
the night, she fell around

Auden found himself sitting in the bar simply staring at the two on stage. It was a mesmerizing experience. The hypnotizing rhythm of the acoustic guitar and the waving force of the female vocals made Auden senseless in that way where he would sense everything. During a break in the singing the girl pulled out a harmonica and started playing it along with the dry notes of the guitar. The silent chatter in the basement café ceased completely by that moment, and everybody turned their full attention to the two on stage. Everybody who were there, were there alone, and it became clear to Auden at that moment. They sought a mutual feeling of loneliness in the basement café, Miss Lonely. He took a moment to look to his left towards one of the bordeaux red couches. Three people were sitting silently in it, with the same paralysed stare headed towards the two musicians. Aiden found himself sitting in the basement café until sunrise, having listened to a couple of other artists exploiting the opportunity of the open mic arrangement. There weren’t as many people as when he arrived, but he hadn’t noticed any people leaving. Now he became one of the leaving loners, leaving the gang of lonely loners alone in the basement café. As he walked out of the narrow door frame onto the wide street, he saw the soft morning light. The morning sun shined upon his face and made him squint.