Blackstar

One - A New Home

“Damn it.”

I trudged through the mud, cursing whoever decided to make it rain. I stumbled when my foot got caught in a deep puddle and yanked with all my might.

“Could this night get any better?” I snarled.

I gave one more tug and my foot was released. I pulled too hard, though, and fell, landing on my bottom in the mud. I sighed. I just had to ask.

I looked around. I was on a forest road. The only belongings I had with me were two suitcases, both completely ruined by the mud. Using the biggest one for support, I stood back up, rubbing my butt which resulted in the mud smearing even more. Thunder clapped overhead and it started to rain again. I threw my head back and groaned.

I was about to start walking again when I heard a carriage behind me. I moved closer to the edge of the road. Even though I deplored my current state, I didn’t much fancy dying.

“Whoa!” a voice said and the carriage pulled to a stop beside me. “Madam, what are you doing?”

I looked over. A man in a brown tunic sat on the coach, a long brimmed hat keeping the rain out of his face.

“Oh, just out on a pleasure walk,” I said sarcastically.

The coach door opened and an older man stuck his head out. When he caught sight of me, he jumped into the mud. He was dressed in elegant clothing and I figured he must have been some kind of nobility.

“You look exhausted,” he said, rushing over and taking one of my bags. “Please, come inside.”

“I don’t need charity,” I muttered but the carriage looked very warm and I was soaked to the bone.

The man just took my other bag and squelched through the mud to the carriage. I sighed heavily and followed. He helped me in and I sat down. The seats were cushioned and a blanket was pressed in my lap. I looked up to see a woman smiling; she looked like she could have been his wife.

“Why are you out here all on your own?” the man asked as the carriage lurched forward.

I shrugged, wrapping the blanket around my shoulders. “I left my home. I’m looking for a new one.”

“Why would you leave your home?” the woman gasped.

“Where are we going?” I asked, changing the subject.

“We’re going to my kingdom,” the man said and extended his hand. “I am King Bartholomew and this is my wife, Queen Vittoria.”

I blushed. “I am so sorry,” I breathed. “I had no idea. If I had known, I wouldn’t have been so rude.”

King Bartholomew smiled kindly. “What’s your name?”

I fidgeted uncomfortably, wringing my hands, as an awkward silence fell.

“You don’t know your name, do you?” Queen Vittoria asked quietly.

I puffed. “The orphanage gave me the name Trinity,” I grumbled. “I don’t like it but they never called me by it anyway.”

“What would you like us to call you?”

I shrugged again. “I’m not very good at making names up or anything like that.”

The Queen tilted her head to the side and pursed her lips together in thought. She took in my rather ragged appearance. My long black hair was in tangles and covered in mud from my fall and I’m sure my black eyes were about as cold as my skin.

“How about Raven?” she said finally and I blinked.

“Raven,” I said slowly, tasting the name on my tongue. I smiled a little which made her grin. “I like it. Thank you.”

“What’s your story, Raven?” the King asked. “We have another two hours until we reach the kingdom.”

“There’s not much a story to tell, Your Highness. The orphanage said I’m 22 years old, that they found me when I was a little girl on my own, and that no one ever came for me. I was 3 when they took me in. Usually they send us out at 18 but they couldn’t find me anywhere to go.”

“So you just left?”

I frowned at the floor. “It’s not exactly an ideal place to live,” I muttered.

“Twenty-two,” the Queen said. Her face broke into a grin. “You’re the same age as our son and daughter!”

I had heard of the royal twins. The rumor was they were kind and the sister had a penchant for mischief. No one knew much about the son other than that he was extremely protective of his family. I would be, too, if assassins had broken into my family’s house and tried to kill me.

If I even had a family, that is.

“How would you like to stay with us?” King Bartholomew asked when the coach started to slow down. “You can rest and we’ll help you get you back on your feet.”

I turned beet red. “You don’t have to do that,” I mumbled. “I’ll just go to the inn, clean up, and offer to work as an assistant or something.”

The Queen smiled again. “Nonsense, Raven,” she said, using my new name which I rather liked.

“I don’t want to be a parasite.”

At this, the King laughed. “If it makes you feel any better, my daughter needs a new hand-maiden.”

I tugged at my hair. “Okay,” I said slowly and the carriage pulled to a stop.

The door opened and the King got out first, holding his hand out to help his wife out.

“Mother! Father!” a voice cried happily and I heard a pair of feet come slapping on the pavement.

The King laughed as his daughter threw her arms around his neck. She hugged him tightly, eyes shut.

“Oh, how I’ve missed you,” she said and opened her eyes. “Oh.”

She stepped back, seeing me get out of the carriage. I was slightly embarrassed. I knew I looked terrible.

“Vera, this is Raven,” the Queen said, sweeping over. “Raven, this is our daughter Vera.” The Queen looked up at the castle doors. “Where is Alexi?”

Vera rolled her amber eyes. “Probably drilling the guards again,” she answered. “Someone broke into the kitchens last night. It was just an orphan looking for some scraps.”

I clenched my jaw, fighting back memories of being an orphan like that myself. The King cleared his throat.

“Raven will be staying on as your hand-maiden,” he said, changing the subject. I smiled at her but Vera didn’t return it. “We met her on our travels.”

“She looks a bit… scrawny,” Vera said bluntly and I flushed angrily.

“Vera,” the Queen snapped. “Come with me.”

As the Queen and Princess Vera marched up the steps, King Bartholomew sighed.

“I’m sorry about my daughter,” he said, leading me into the grand entrance. “She’s not used to people outside of the palace. We’ve been trying to get her to understand things are different but she can be rather stubborn. She’s a very kind young woman, though.”

“I’ll try to hold my tongue,” I said without thinking and groaned.

The King laughed. “I like you, Raven. You’re honest. We don’t get many honest people.”

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t be speaking to you like that.”

He waved his hand. “Oh, don’t even worry about it. It’s refreshing. Speaking of refreshment,” he added and snapped his fingers. A servant girl of about 16 hurried over. “Please lead Miss Raven to the hand-maiden’s room. Get a hot bath going for her. She will be up soon.”

“Yes, Your Highness,” the girl said and hurried up the stairs.

“I don’t know what it means to be a hand-maiden,” I admitted.

“You just look after my daughter,” he said simply. “Whatever she needs, you do. It’s not glamorous, but I think you’ll do great.”

I smiled kindly. “Thank you very much for taking me in,” I said.

He grinned. “It’s my pleasure. Come, I’ll show you to your room.”

I followed him up the stairs, scratching my arm. The mud had dried and was causing a terrible itch on my exposed skin. The coachman followed behind, carrying my bags. We reached two doors.

“This is my daughter’s room,” the King said, gesturing at the door to the right. “And this is yours.” The left door opened and we stepped in. “There’s a door that connects your two rooms.”

I stepped in and my mouth dropped open. It was gorgeous. The floor was wood and a four post bed sat between two windows. White curtains draped the windows. The color scheme was mostly black and white, something that seemed very appropriate to a woman of my station. There was a closet where the coachman put my bags and a bathroom where I could already see steam floating out through the door.

“Please, get some rest. Vera will come see you when she’s ready.”

“Thank you,” I repeated and he smiled before leaving with the coachman.

I looked around at my new home, hardly believing my luck. Just 24 hours ago I was in a small shack, living off scraps. Now I’m in a castle with a pretty decent job. I glanced at the door connecting my room with the Princess’s and allowed myself one minute to consider I might actually have a friend for the first time in my life.