Blackstar

Thirteen - Only Safe Place

I lay in bed, staring up at my ceiling in frustration. I had no idea how I was going to protect Raven from this Lord Lucian character. As for her brother…. He was running out of time. I went in to see him just this morning and he looked incredibly worse. I was worried he didn’t have the month he had predicted.

I had forbidden Raven to go visit him again, something that infuriated her. I was fearful, though, that the closer they were together, the easier it would be for Lucian to find them and attack again. I punched my blankets.

“Why can’t I figure it out?” I shouted into the empty room.

Just as I spoke, a red smoke began to seep into my room. I jumped out of bed and reached for the dagger I kept under my pillow.

“Who are you?” I called into the room, gripping the handle tightly.

My first thought was Lucian but the smoke was red, not black. It was emanating from my closet door and I approached it slowly. I grabbed the poker from the fireplace and used it to open the door and keep for an extra weapon. Smoke billowed out, causing my loose shirt to flap around me. I covered my face and coughed.

To my surprise, the smoke smelled of roses. I stumbled back.

“What is your name, young man?” a woman’s voice echoed.

I stared into the closet, trying to see who was in there. Something about her voice made me calm.

“My name is Alexi,” I answered slowly and walked toward the door again. “Who are you?”

“My name is unimportant. My son is dying this very moment. My daughter must be protected.”

“You’re Raven’s mother,” I breathed.

“Lucian comes ever closer, circling around like a hungry vulture. When my son breathes his last, my daughter will be fragile. It will be so easy to be found.”

“How can I save her?” I asked desperately, dropping my two weapons. “Please. Tell me how I can save her.”

“If you truly wish to save my daughter, you must do as I say. As for my son, his time is ending now.”

I fell to my knees. Joseph was dead.

“Just tell me what I can do now,” I begged.

-Raven’s POV-

“It can’t be true!” I cried, pulling at King Bartholomew’s arms. “Let me in!”

“No, Raven,” he said in a choked voice. “You can’t go in there. I’m sorry. He’s gone.”

“He is not gone!” I screamed, struggling with all my might.

“Alexi,” the King said.

I spun and ran to him. “They won’t let me in!” I cried, pulling on his shirt. “I have to go in there, Alexi!”

Alexi’s face was grim as he held my hands. “I’m sorry, Raven,” he whispered.

I shook my head and ran to the door.

“No!” both men shouted but I pushed the door open.

A loud wail escaped my throat and I fell to my knees, my heart breaking into a thousand pieces. Joseph lay in bed, his skin unnaturally pale. There was no life left in it. Along the walls in red ink were the words HE IS COMING and a pen was near Joseph’s left hand. Two strong arms lifted me and this time I didn’t fight.

“Father, gather Mother and Sister,” Alexi said, half carrying me out of the room, his voice sad. “Have the servants pack enough clothing for a two week trip.”

“Why?” his father asked. “Where are we going?”

“Just trust me,” he said simply. “Come on, Raven, you need to come with me to your bedroom.”

“I don’t want to go anywhere,” I said hollowly but let him lead me there regardless.

“Please. I know where we can keep you safe.”

I didn’t answer. He led me to my room and I sat heavily by the fireplace. A few servants were already packing some of my dresses into a small bag. For reasons unknown to me, Alexi was lifting my sheets and pillows.

“Where is it?” I heard him mutter and, to my surprise, he flipped the mattress so it fell on the floor.

“What are you doing!?” I cried.

He bent down and picked up a black piece of chalk. I frowned and walked over.

“Alexi, what is that?”

He snapped it in half and tossed it in the fire. He didn’t answer me right away. He waited until the charcoal turned into embers. The servants hovered behind us and he turned.

“Take the bags to the stables,” he ordered. “Do not prepare a coach. Go now.” They hurried out. “Raven, you have to listen to me carefully.”

“What’s going on, Alexi?” I asked, looking desperately into his eyes.

“We are going back,” he answered, cupping my face.

“Back where?”

“To your home,” he answered. “It’s the only safe place.”

“But I don’t know where I’m from!” I cried out. “How do you know where it is?”

He took my hand and shook his head. “You’ll just have to trust me for now. Please.”

Before I could answer, the King appeared. “We’re all ready,” he said and Alexi nodded.

He grabbed my hand again and we ran out to the stable. It started to rain as we each mounted a horse. Servants brought us ordinary cloaks and Alexi ordered us to cover our heads with the hoods. I don’t know what was going on, but something about the way he spoke told me that he knew more than he was saying.

-

We rode for nearly a day. I’m sure Alexi would have made us continue if it weren’t for the fact that the horses needed to rest. Alexi was agitated and wouldn’t let us leave the road until he came back from the forest to find us shelter for the night. When he finally tramped through the trees he beckoned with his finger.

“Come, I have found a place.”

We shared looks but did as he told. It was hard for the horses to maneuver through the trunks and roots but they did their best until we reached a very small area. There was enough room for a little fire and for us to lay our bodies.

“I think you owe us some answers,” the King said once we were all gathered around the fire.

Alexi was frowning into the flames. He didn’t speak for a while.

“The answers are where Raven and Joseph were born,” he said finally. “I can’t tell you more than that.”

“Why not?” the Queen demanded and he looked at her.

“I made a pact,” he said simply and showed us his left shoulder.

I leaned forward. There was a burn mark of a slanted rose. Unlike my black tattoo, his was red.

“What kind of pact?” I asked, worried for him. “And with whom?”

“It’s not Lucian, if that’s what you’re afraid of,” he promised. “We need to get sleep. We have a long road ahead of us.”

Without giving us anymore answers, he lay on his back, looking up at the sky.