Take It All Away

Time to Run

My alarm went off and I rolled over in my bed, blinking tiredly. I slipped out of bed, my mind on nothing in particular. I got dressed and slipped on a pair of simple black Sketchers. After work I had planned on going out on a walk. I had my phone in my hand when I got out of the elevator. Instead of walking like normal, I was greeted with flashing lights and loud voices.

I stumbled back and blinked, taking in my surroundings. Reporters and photographers were packed into the hotel’s small main lobby. The owner was looking harassed but not nearly as harassed as I felt.

“Is it true Adam is staying in this hotel?”

“He disappeared! How did you find him?”

“Do you know why he’s here?”

“Is it true that you’re in a relationship with Adam?”

Questions came from all sides and I backed up until I hit the elevator. It opened and I fell back.

“Shit,” I heard and suddenly the elevator doors closed again before anyone could follow.

I looked up. I had stumbled into Adam. He ran a hand through his hair.

“I’m sorry,” I said, standing up straight.

He pressed the top floor and, as soon as the doors opened, he grabbed my hand.

“What are you-?”

“Just follow me,” he said and rushed up a set of stairs to the roof.

“Um….” I said, stopping as he peered over the side of the building.

“God, they’re all around us.”

“Adam?” I whispered and he turned, concerned. “I am terrified of heights.”

“Sorry,” he said quickly. “Just stay there. I just need to call my friends.”

“How did they find out you were staying here?” I asked, gripping the door handle and keeping my eyes on the sky.

“I have no clue,” I heard him say. “Hey man. Yeah, I figured it’d be on the news. No. We’re stuck on the damn roof. We need some help. Thanks.” He hung up and sighed. “My friends are coming over to help us get out of here. Do you want me to call Gina?”

I patted my pockets until I felt my phone. Taking a deep breath, I looked down long enough to press the call button. I returned my eyes to the sky while it rang.

“There is a mob outside of your hotel,” Gina said in awe.

“Yeah, I know. I’m stuck in here until further notice,” I sighed. “I’ll let you know when I can get into work.”

“Don’t worry,” I heard Jack say. “We’re looking at it now. Go ahead and take as much time as you need. Are you locked in your room?”

I laughed. “Not exactly,” I said. “I’ll call you guys when I’m free.”

I hung up and slowly slid down the door to sit down.

“I’m really sorry about this,” Adam said, sitting beside me. “Someone must have followed my friends back to the hotel.”

“It’s okay,” I said, closing my eyes. I was starting to feel dizzy. “Do you think we’ll be up here long?”

“I don’t think so,” he said and held my free hand. “How long have you been afraid of heights?”

“My whole life,” I answered, skootching closer until our shoulders touched. “My grandfather had me on his shoulders when I was 3 and I fell.”

“Ouch.”

A cold wind swept over the roof and I snuggled more into my sweater. Adam was shivering so I shyly pressed myself to him to warm him up. Hesitantly, he wrapped both arms around me.

“Well, we’ll either get out of here soon or die of hypothermia,” I joked, my teeth chattering.

Someone knocked on the door three times and Adam froze.

“It’s us, dude,” I heard one of the guys from last night say.

Adam helped me up and I gripped one of the smoke stacks while he opened the door. Three guys, two of which were the ones fighting last night, came out trying to hide amused smiles.

“How bad is it down there?” Adam asked.

“The hotel owner managed to get half of them to leave,” one said and handed me his jacket while his other friend gave his to Adam’s. “You guys look like you’re freezing.”

“Just a little,” I joked.

“You’re going to have to transfer to a different hotel, mate.”

Adam’s shoulders fell. “I don’t want to,” he muttered, glancing at me.

The three men shared a look. “How about we do this: you’re coming with us to Thanksgiving, right?” the one with black hair asked and I nodded. “Okay. First, my name is Eric. This is Jason,” he gestured to the one with blond hair. “And this is Mark.”

The one with brown hair reached to shake my hand. “Eric and I are the ones you talked into fighting.”

“It’s nice to meet you, but there’s no way in hell I am letting go of this smoke stack,” I said and Adam snorted. “Shut up.”

“Okay,” Eric said. “Here’s how this is going to go down. We’re going to go down there and get the people to leave. Meanwhile, Violet and Adam, you two run down and pack some clothes. We’re leaving early.”

“Don’t they know where you live?” I asked but Adam shook his head.

“I’ve always been open with my fans except for that,” he assured me. He held my hand tightly. “Come on. Let’s get off this terrible roof top.”

I gripped his arm as we walked slowly to the door. When we got onto the top floor I let out a sigh of relief. The three guys hurried down to the bottom floor while Adam and I rushed to pack some clothes. I called Gina.

“Apparently I have to disappear,” I said and explained everything.

Gina and Jack were both laughing.

“You’ve done plenty over here,” Jack assured me. “Just let me know when you’ll be back.”

“I will. Talk to you soon.”

I hung up and zipped up my duffle bag.

“They won’t leave,” Mark said through clenched teeth. He had been standing by the elevator to our floor. “You guys will have to go out the back way.”

Adam nodded once. “You ready?” he asked and I nodded, too.

As we went down the stairs, I couldn’t help but wonder if this was what it would always be like. I hoped not. I didn’t much like having to sneak out and miss work.

-

We made it to the airport. Jason had gotten on the phone on our way there and ordered the plane tickets. By the time we got there, it was almost midnight and the airport was almost deserted. I led the way in, being the one most familiar with it. When we got to the gate, we all sat, exhausted. I tried to avoid Adam’s gaze.

“So, you going to tell me what’s wrong?” he muttered, handing me a soda.

I took a sip. “Is this what it’s like all the time?” I asked.

He shook his head fervently. “No. This has only happened once before and it was in a small town, too.” He looked at me nervously. “Is it scaring you?”

“A little,” I admitted. “I’m not used to having to flee like a secret agent or something.”

He laughed and I yawned. Our plane arrived and we handed in our tickets.

“You can have the window seat,” I told him.

“Are you sure?”

I shuddered. “Heights, remember?” He smiled kindly and put our bags in the overhead compartment. A flight attendant came by, offering drinks but I turned it down. “For once, I think I’ll actually get some sleep.”

Adam smiled and let me put his head on his shoulder. I was asleep in moments.