My Life Is a Cliché

Fresh Air

Katie came back later in the evening after Thaddeus had woken up and was cooking dinner with his mom. I was still in the living room now playing on the PlayStation 3 Thaddeus had brought back with him for me to play. I was currently playing the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and trying to kill a dragon.

“Well, I broke up with Ian,” she said, sitting heavily on the couch beside me.

I paused the game and frowned. “Why?”

“After I got on to him about the alcohol, he said it was your fault for drinking it. I reminded him that you were in so much pain you couldn’t see straight and needed to take the medicine with water. Then he had the audacity to blame you for the horse accident. Besides, he’s been so clingy and jealous. But jealous in the bad way,” she added with a wrinkled nose.

“I guess it was fun while it lasted,” I said and she nodded.

“What’s for dinner?” she asked.

“I have no idea but I’m sorry I threw cups at you.”

She burst into laughter. “Oh, my God. That was the most hilarious thing.”

I squirmed uncomfortably but, thankfully, Isabelle called us to the table for dinner.

“Mmm, spaghetti,” Katie said, much to my surprise. “You used wheat noodles?”

“I figured after the attack you deserved a meal more to your liking,” Isabelle said and Katie snorted.

I groaned and twirled some spaghetti onto my fork.

“How were things at the ranch?” I asked.

“They went really well,” Isabelle answered. “Listen, if you want us to get rid of the horse that threw you, we will.”

I frowned at her and Thaddeus who was looking at me seriously.

“Why in the world would I want you to get rid of him?”

“When things like these happen, it’s not uncommon for the horse to be put down or sold,” Thaddeus answered.

“Of course I don’t want you to get rid of him!” I said. “That’s ridiculous.”

Isabelle visibly relaxed and went back to her meal with a smile on her face. I knew how important the horses were to her. Besides, it was afraid of snakes.

“If it makes you feel any better,” I said, “I’m afraid of snakes, too.”

Everyone laughed and, to my dismay, Katie passed over my pill bottle. I groaned.

“Do I have to?” I asked.

They laughed again as Thaddeus opened the bottle for me.

“No alcohol this time, though,” he said and I glared at him.

“Isabelle told me what I did. I’m so sorry.”

He shrugged as I took the medicine. “I thought it was hilarious.”

“I’m glad you all did,” I grimaced.

An hour later I was feeling drowsy. If this was how I was supposed to live for the next week, I was going to go insane. Katie helped me get into my pajamas.

“Don’t worry,” she said when I expressed my frustration. “The bottle has enough medicine for a week left then things will get back to normal.”

I yawned. “No such thing.”

Katie sighed. “Your pillows are all messed up from last night,” she shook her head. “Don’t roll over while I punch them out again.”

I yawned again, my eyes closing. “Mmkay.”

Before I knew it I was asleep.

-Thaddeus’s POV-

“A little help!” Katie called from Morana’s room. I jogged in. Morana was passed out on her left side. “I can’t get her to stay put.”

I chuckled and helped her keep Morana on the right side of her body. Katie was trying to punch out her pillows.

“We need to get her a body pillow,” Katie sighed.

“Here, I’ll stay with her,” I said.

“Okay,” she said in relief. “I’ll go buy a couple body pillows. According to her doctor, she’ll be like this for another week.”

“I bet she’s pleased,” I said sarcastically and got in bed behind her.

As soon as we let go of her, she tried to turn to her left but I stayed in place. She grumbled in her sleep but eventually cuddled into me. I pulled the blankets over her and closed my eyes, too.

I woke up around ten in the morning, feeling more rested than I had in a while. Morana wasn’t in bed but, behind me, were two new body pillows. I stretched and stood up, going out into the living room where Morana was reading books about horses and my mom was watching TV.

“Good afternoon,” Morana said when she saw me. “How did you sleep?”

I got water from the fridge. “Like the dead,” I answered.

“Any fun plans today?” my mom asked.

Not taking my medicine with alcohol,” Morana said right away and we laughed. “If I promise not to do anything, can I please leave the house?”

“Let me give the doctor a call first,” I said, getting my phone out. “I don’t want to get into trouble.”
Morana waited patiently, looking very hopeful.

“Doctor Cane’s office. Victoria speaking. How can I help you?”

“Hi Victoria. My name is Thaddeus and one of Dr. Cane’s patients wants to see if she can leave the house.”

“Name?”

“Morana,” I answered.

“Ah, the one that broke her collar bone. He just got out of consultation. Hold on a second.” I was put on hold for a while and sat down at the breakfast table. “Thaddeus? Dr. Cane said she can go out but she’s not to do any lifting or working at her office.”

“I’ll keep an eye on her,” I promised and hung up. “Good news. The doctor says you’re cleared you just can’t do any lifting or things of that nature.”

Her eyes lit up. “Isabelle, can you help me change?”

“Of course,” my mom said and I went through my suitcase to find something to wear.

I went into the bathroom and changed into a pair of loose blue jeans, a black wife beater, and a red button up shirt. It was a warm day so I left it unbuttoned and pulled on a pair of sneakers. Shortly after, my mom and Morana came out.

Morana was looking nice with a pair of blue jeans and a form fitting black t-shirt that covered the bandages on her collarbone. I tried not to stare and opened the door for them. Morana was ecstatic to leave the apartment.

“Where do you want to go?” I asked, starting up the car.

“A park,” she said immediately and I nodded, pulling out of the parking garage.