My Life Is a Cliché

New Employees

I pulled into the driveway and turned the car off. I didn’t get out, though. My father was putting the horses up and he was soon climbing up to the house. He saw me sitting in the car and knocked gently on the window.

“You all right?” he asked and I nodded, getting out. “Was that Morana with you earlier?”

“Yeah. She was lost so I figured I’d give her a tour before I took her home.”

“We’re having a special party here this weekend,” my dad said as we went into the house. “You should bring her.”

“I’ll think about it. I’ll cook dinner,” I added when I noticed Mom was sitting at the table doing bills.

A special party…. The only reason I can imagine they would be having a party was to raise money for the ranch. That made me a little uncomfortable. My parents left a lot aside for the house but not for the ranch. I wasn’t lying to Morana: feed and hay was very expensive in Oklahoma; especially at this time of the year.

While the oven was heating up, I got my phone out and pulled up the contact I had made for Morana. I debated about it.

“Just invite her,” my father muttered, getting a beer from the fridge. I sighed heavily. “Would it help if I ordered you to as your father?”

I couldn’t help but laugh. “It might.”

“Very well,” he said and stood up straight. “I order you to invite Morana to our party this Saturday at 8 pm. Dress code is casual.”

He winked and walked off.

I took a deep breath.

My parents are having a benefit party next weekend. It’ll be incredibly boring but, if you’re not busy, wanna come?

I pressed the send button just as the oven beeped and I got the lasagna I had made several days ago out of the freezer. I enjoyed cooking. I would make meals in advance for days like these. I heard my phone go off but I didn’t look right away.

“Lasagna?” my mother asked and I nodded. She grinned. “You make the best lasagna.”

I smiled as she turned back to the bills. In the other room, I heard my dad turn the TV on to a football game. On nights like these, I didn’t mind still living with my parents.

I checked my phone.

Just as long as I don’t have to ride a horse.

I smiled. No promises.

-Morana’s POV-

I paced the living room, thinking about what I just agreed to do. Was I making a mistake? The door closed, making me jump in the air. Katie came in, a smile on her face, until she saw me.

“What’s wrong?” she asked.

“I just got lost on the way home,” I murmured. “Are you hungry?”

“No. Ian took me to dinner.”

“How did that go?” I asked, sitting on the couch and she did the same, smiling.

“It went great. At first I was worried he’d ask about you but he only mentioned you once. He just wanted to know if you found investors which I thought was sweet of him to ask. We went out to eat and then took a walk through a park.”

I smiled. “I’m happy for you.”

“How did you get lost?”

“I was distracted and got off on the wrong stop. Christy called me,” I said, making a face.

“Who is Christy?”

“Oh, she was one of the applicants.” I laughed and told her the story of her call test. “She wanted me to give her a second chance.”

Katie laughed. “What did you tell her?”

“I wanted to say when she cleans up her act but that didn’t seem professional. I just told her that the position was filled.”

“So you decided?”

I nodded. “I figured Gregory would be best,” I said, stretching. “He’s younger and will know more about recent cars. I’m going to hire Beatrice still, though, but as my assistant. She has all the skills I need except for filing but that’s relatively easy to train.”

“Is that mud on your shoe?” Katie asked and I looked down.

“Oh,” I said. “I hadn’t even noticed.”

“When were you walking in mud?”

Before I could answer, her phone buzzed. She blushed and tried to hide it from me. Laughing, I took it from her.

“Aww,” I said. It was a text from Ian asking her if she made it home safely. “How sweet!”

“Shut up,” Katie mumbled, a brilliant shade of red, as she replied.

I chuckled. “I’m going to bed. I have a busy day tomorrow.”

“You’re taking the weekend off, right?” she asked and I tripped.

“Yes and no,” I said. “Good night.”

I closed my door quickly before she could ask me anymore questions.

--

Gregory was ecstatic and started work that Friday. I told him he didn’t have to until Monday but he insisted so I decided to let him. Although disappointed she didn’t get a secretary position, Beatrice was honored to be my assistant.

“We just need to work on filing,” I told her. She, too, had come on Friday. “We can start now, though, since I’m still not completely unpacked.”

For the remainder of the day, I taught Beatrice how I liked my filing system. While she was working on that, I gave Gregory extra training on how to talk on the phone. He picked up on it quickly like I know he would. It was strange having two employees who were older than me but they seemed to take it in stride so I did as well.

By the end of the day, both were trained and they helped me with the last of the unpacking.

“What are all these blue books?” Beatrice asked me.

“They’re a list of cars,” I answered. “It’s incredibly out of date, though. I keep them mostly for sentimental reasons.”

“What sentimental reasons?”

I sighed and sat down in my chair, taking one. “My parents used to sell cars,” I whispered. “These were the books they used.”

“Are they still with us?” she asked gently and I shook my head. “I’m so sorry, Miss Morana.”

I handed her the book back and took a deep breath. “On Monday I’ll have a list of tasks for you to work on while I contact some of my old clients.”

“Of course,” she said and backed out of the room.