Boys From the South

Go on crush me like a flower rusted from the rain

“Kris, come on don’t be like that.” AJ, yells after me as he pulls up his pants. “It’s not what you think.”

I turn on a dime and glare at him as I cross my arms across my chest. “Really Raymond? Why don’t you clear it up for me? Because I’m pretty sure I saw you almost fucking my cousin not even three hours after telling me that you want to start a relationship with me.”

“You didn’t give me a straight answer.” He tries to defend himself.

“That doesn’t give you a fucking reason to have sex with my sleazy cousin.” I scoff. “Out of all the boys in my life, I never thought you’d be the one to hurt me like this. I trusted you with more than just my secrets, AJ. I trusted you not to break my heart. But here I stand with my heart destroyed.”

“Kristen…” He says walking towards me. I hold up my hand and start backing up,

“Save it, AJ. I don’t want to hear it now nor ever.” I sigh. “I’m done…” I turn around and head towards my cars. Tears form in my eyes as I say goodbye to the best friend I have ever had.


...Five years later


“How’s L.A?” My mom asks me as I walk into the stadium. It was the Rookie Premiere which means all the newly drafted players are here. Which means I’m here to conduct as many interviews as I possibly can. Plus I get to spend some quality time with my boyfriend, Aaron Murray.

“Sunny.” I chuckle as I slip my Ray Bans over my eyes. “It’s going to be interesting today. Plus I get to spend time with Aaron. I haven’t done than since graduation.”

“Just have fun out there, okay?” She pleas. “I know this is your job and all but have fun with or you’ll quickly started hating what you grew up loving.”

“Nothing can make me hate football,” I tell her, laughing. “And I do mean nothing.”

“Have fun, baby girl. Call me later okay?”

“Love ya Mama.” I say before hanging up with her. I take a deep breath in before I head out onto the field where all the newly drafted players are.

“Kris!” I hear my name being yelled from a distance. I look to my right and see Arthur Lynch running towards me. When he gets to me he pulls me into a sweaty hug. “It’’s been forever since I’ve seen you!”

“Graduation wasn’t that long ago.” I giggle as I wiggle myself out of his grip. “How have you been?”

“Been talking to annoying reporters all day.” He smirks at me. “But you’re my favorite out of all of them.”

“Damn straight.” I laugh. “Do you know where Aaron is?”

“Last time I saw him he was talking to a few players that got drafted to Kansas City. But he disappeared after that.”

“Thanks Artie, I’ll find him eventually.” I smile before walking away from my friend and getting lost in the crowd of reporters and football players.

A few hours, and a few hours later, I find myself scanning the crowd for Aaron once more. This time I find him. But who he’s with is reason enough for my heart to stop beating.

“Kris!” Aaron’s voice is enough to bring me out of my AJ McCarron induced trance. I shake my head and see him and AJ walking over to me. Aaron greets me with a kiss while AJ greets me with a stare. “Kristen Daniels this is AJ McCarron. He was the quarterback for…”

“Bama.” I reply quickly. “I know who he is.”

“Kris…” AJ just starts but is quickly stopped when I hear my name being called from another part of the field.

“Duty calls.” I smile before kissing Aaron goodbye before quickly leaving. Thankfully, leaving AJ behind. Five years I managed to escape seeing him. But today of all days, he waltz back into my life. Great…

**

I’m watching Aaron and Eric Ebron interviewing each other, laughing at something stupid, when I feel a presence behind me; a familiar one. I turn around and see AJ standing there.

“What do you want McCarron?” I spit. before returning my attention to Aaron.

“It’s been five years, are you ever going to let that night go?” He asks causing me to whip around, glaring at him. “It was a mistake. Can’t you just forgive me?”

“You slept with my cousin hours after telling me you have feelings for me.” I remind him. “How can I just forgive you for that?”

“Kris, I’m sorry.” He apologizes. “I’ve been trying to tell you that for years. But it’s like you blocked me out of your life completely.”

“No amount of sorrys will fix what you did, AJ.” I sigh. “You hurt me like no other guy has. That’s something I can let go. You were suppose to be my white knight; the one person I could run to whenever I got hurt. But that night, you were the one that stabbed me. Maybe one day I’ll forgive you. I’m just not at that place yet.”

“I miss you,” he admits. “It was suppose to be the two of us taking over Alabama, not just me.”

“You didn’t need me there.” I tell him. “And I couldn’t be there, not after losing my best friend.” He just frowns but before I can say anything, Eric says something to Aaron about me and all the cameras fall upon me.

“See, such a dime.” Eric laughs. “Even McCarron isn’t immune to her charm.” I just wave at the camera before excusing myself. I have to get out of here and away from AJ...
♠ ♠ ♠
Kris

chapter title credit: Rusted From the Rain by Billy Talent.

comment&subscribe?

Want to be a character? Let me know.