You Loved Me Once

63: What Are You Doing Here?

“How have you come to own so much stuff?”

Alba, who was sitting on her couch, smirked a little, her eyes watching as Lionel sealed another box, settling it on top of the ever growing pile which was forming beside the door. They’d been at it for a while, with a day off training ahead of the Copa Del Rey final, Lionel had been insistent that he and Alba at least make a start on packing, but with Alba unable to assist in the heavy lifting, it was a decision he was starting to regret. He wanted it to be a quick process, with Alba’s pregnancy progressing, he wanted to ensure that everything was in place by the time their daughter made her first appearance, but with Alba having more stuff than he’d anticipated, it was moving a little slower than he had been expecting.

“I really don’t own that much” Alba retorted “You’re just complaining because it’s more work than you were expecting. I did warn you that it would be” she teased, happily propping her feet up on the coffee table.

“You’re not exactly helping” Lionel countered, moving to collect another empty cardboard box.

“You were the one who told me to rest” Alba smirked “Besides, I did offer to call someone to help you. You were the one who said you didn’t want help” she added.

Lionel offered her a small glare before he sat down on the ground, moving to file through the selection of books that sat on Alba’s shelf. “You really want to bring all of this stuff with you?” he posed, flicking his stare towards his girlfriend.

“It’s not like you don’t have room for it” Alba commented, flicking through the magazine that sat on her bump.

“I know, but there’s a lot of stuff here that you might not need. I’m sure you’ve read all of these books, for example” he quipped.

Alba shook her head. “You know that we don’t have to do it all today, don’t you?” she mused softly. She knew that he was in a hurry, in the few days that had passed since she had said yes to moving in with him, he’d been more than a little insistent at moving things along quickly, but Alba wanted him to know that there was no rush. She knew why he was in a hurry, even if he hadn’t said it, she knew he was convinced that she would change her mind if her offered her the opportunity, but Alba wanted to reassure him. It was what she wanted, even if it had taken her a while to realise it, and she wanted him to know it.

“I know” Lionel mused, placing the books into the box “But I don’t want to hesitate. In a couple of weeks, I am going to be away for internationals and I want to be sure that you’re settled before that. I don’t want to stress you out” he added with a small look towards her bump.

Alba shook her head. “I am going to be fine” she mused, brushing her fingertips over the bump which stuck out from under her shirt.

“I don’t doubt that” Lionel quipped “But I want you settled. You’re coming up on 6 months now” he fussed with a small smile. He knew that they still had a while to go, with Alba just past 23 weeks, there was still a little over 3 months remaining between them and the birth of their daughter, but it was still an idea that excited the footballer, even if he was a little nervous about the idea of having a baby to look after, he couldn’t wait to meet the little girl that Alba was carrying.

Alba shook her head a little, her blue eyes fixed on her bump. “Have you given any thought to what you want to call her yet?” she posed softly.

“A little” Lionel quipped “But I’ve not come up with something I actually like yet. What about you?” he posed as he pushed himself to his feet, moving to sit down beside Alba.

“I’ve not come up with anything good yet” Alba admitted softly “But I think I want to ask Eva to be her godmother. There’s no one I would trust more than her” she mused as she leant into him slightly, her head resting on his shoulder.

“I wish I could say I was surprised” Lionel teased.

“She’s my best friend” Alba pointed out.

“I thought that that was me?” Lionel quipped, feigning a pout.

Alba scoffed playfully, something which made him shake his head. “You’re annoying sometimes, you know that?” he mumbled as he placed his hand on her head, tilting it towards him so that he could press a kiss to the top of it.

“Yet for some reason, for years, you’ve loved me” Alba grinned.

“There are many reasons for that” Lionel noted kindly.

Alba offered him a soft smile before she leant up, kissing his cheek gently. “For what it is worth, I love you too” she mused softly.

Lionel smiled gently at the sound of her words and ducked in to kiss her, smiling as Alba’s hand wound itself into his hair. “I love you” he babbled softly as he leant back, offering her a boyish grin.

Alba grinned back at him cheerfully before she pushed him back a little, gesturing towards the boxes. “I thought you wanted to pack?” she teased.

“I can pack for you later” Lionel retorted “Right now I am more than content to sit here and kiss you” he teased softly.

Alba’s cheeks tinted a little pink before she moved to lean into him once more, only to pause as the sound of the doorbell echoed. Letting out a small groan, she pecked his lips lightly before she pushed herself to her feet padding towards the door. “Were you expecting anyone?” Lionel posed as he followed after her.

“Not as far as I know” Alba shrugged “It’s probably just my neighbour. She likes to come over for a coffee and a chat every now and again” she added as she padded through the hall, moving to pull the door open, her blue eyes widening a little as she stared at the woman who stood on the other side, her own blue eyes a little wide.

“Mama” Alba squeaked.

Annabella shuffled a little on the spot, her expression sheepish as she admired her oldest daughter.

“Mama, what are you doing here?” Alba pressed, her tone a little uncertain. It wasn’t like her mother, Annabella had always been meticulous and had never been the type to show up unannounced, and the idea that she had, unsettled Alba a little. Her mother’s last unannounced visit hadn’t ended particularly well and she was hesitant about letting her inside again. The last thing she wanted was to be upset again.

“I wanted to speak to you” Annabella murmured “Both of you. Do you think I can come inside?” she posed, her blue eyes peeking at Lionel who glared looked more than a little irked by seeing her.

Alba offered her mother a look before she peeked at Lionel who reluctantly nodded his head. “OK” she murmured softly “You can come inside, but if you say one bad word…”

“I know” Annabella mused “Please, Alba, I just want to talk to you” she added.

Alba offered her a slightly uncertain look before she stepped out of the doorway, allowing the older woman to step inside, something which made Alba frown a little, unsure of what her mother could want.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comment :)