You Loved Me Once

72: Do We Have To Talk Now?

Resting back in the armchair that he had been provided with, Lionel smiled a little at the infant that sat in his arms, her blue eyes peeking curiously around the room. It had been a couple of hours, after Isabella had been born, the private room that he had insisted Alba have had been a small hive of activity, but with the baby’s checks completed and Alba safely tucked up in the bed which stood a little away from him, it felt a lot calmer, something he was more than grateful for. It felt a little hazy, both Lionel and Alba had been awake for a long time before the baby had arrived, but still it was a welcome feeling, one that he had been anticipating for a while.

Moving his hand a little, he carefully brushed it against the baby’s back, earning a small crackly squeak. “It’s OK” he murmured softly “You’re OK” he added, watching as Isabella shifted a little in an attempt to get comfortable. It felt a little odd, the idea that the baby which sat in his arms was his and Alba’s, but he was sure that it was something he could get used to. He doubted that he could be more smitten with their little girl.

“Isn’t she supposed to be napping?”

Lionel, who’d been watching Isabella, smiled, his dark eyes flicking towards Alba who grinned at him sleepily. “She did nap” he noted softly “But then she woke up and I couldn’t just leave her there. Look how content she is” he fussed.

Alba smiled, her blue eyes contently watching her boyfriend with their daughter. “You look made up” she mused after a moment of quiet.

“I am” Lionel mused “She’s a beautiful girl, Alba, and I can’t quite wrap my head around the idea that she’s here” he fussed, carefully adjusting the small hat that had been placed atop Isabella’s wisps of dark hair.

Alba watched him for a second more before she reached her arms around, allowing Lionel to place Isabella into them. “I’ve already contacted Jess” he mused softly “She’s going to go to the airport when everyone gets in and take them home. We’ll introduce them to Isabella there” Lionel explained softly.

“Have you get any idea how long it will be before we can home?” Alba posed, her eyes fixed on Isabella who stirred softly, moving her head a little closer to Alba’s chest.

“Cassandra seemed happy” Lionel fussed “She said that as far as the labour went, it couldn’t have been better and Isabella seems to be in good health. I think they want to check you over, but tomorrow morning seems probable” he explained.

Alba nodded quietly before she diverted her stare back towards Isabella, offering her a small smile.

Lionel watched her before he padded towards the bed, sitting up at Alba’s side. “I know she was a little bit of a surprise, but I am glad she is here, you know” he mused.

Alba nodded. “I know the feeling” she quipped softly “She’s stunning” she added.

Lionel nodded his head before he turned, pressing a kiss against her temple. “Gracias” he murmured softly.

Alba shook her head. “You don’t have to say that” she murmured.

“I know, but you did all the hard work and I just want you to know that I am grateful that. She’s a beautiful girl, Alba, and that’s all you” he mumbled gently.

Alba opened her mouth to retort again, but was cut off as Isabella let out a small cry, pulling her parents’ attention back to her.

~#~
“Are you sure that we can’t keep her to ourselves for a little while longer?” Lionel posed as he pulled the car to a stop in the driveway, his eyes peeking at Alba slightly. It had been a long night, with Isabella around, neither Lionel nor Alba had gotten much sleep, but neither of them appeared to mind all that much. It felt a little odd, the idea that they finally had their baby, but it was one they were getting used to. It was clear already that both of them adored having Isabella around.

“I’d love to see you explain that to your madre” Alba countered as she moved to climb out of the car, quickly collecting Isabella’s car seat.

“I am sure that they won’t mind” Lionel mused, shouldering the two bags that they’d taken to the hospital with them.

Alba shook her head a little before she flicked her attention towards Isabella, smiling at the sleeping baby softly.

Lionel watched his girlfriend briefly before he stepped towards her, kissing her cheek softly. “I will go and warn them to be quiet” he mused softly “You’re coming?” he added.

Alba nodded her head and turned to follow after him, quietly padding through towards the living room which was humming quietly with chatter.

“Hola” Lionel noted, pulling the attention to him.

“You’re home” Celia fussed, moving to greet him “How are you?” she added.

“I am OK” Lionel smiled “Tired and slightly uncomfortable, but OK. I think that question is better directed at Alba” he added, grinning at his girlfriend softly.

Celia eyed the blonde woman for a moment before she diverted her attention downwards, her eyes instantly landing on Isabella who stirred slightly in her sleep. “Leo, Alba…” she squeaked softly, her hand covering her mouth slightly.

“She is yours?” Calista squeaked as she padded forwards, her eyes briefly glancing at Alba who smiled sheepishly.

“She is” Alba confirmed “This our little girl, Isabella” she added.

“Isabella” Celia repeated softly “It’s such a beautiful name and it suits such a sweet little girl. How are you feeling, Alba?” she posed, ushering the younger woman towards the couch.

“I am OK” Alba quipped “A little sore and a little tired, but I am OK, better than I thought I would be” she insisted.

Celia tilted her head, wordlessly asking if Alba was sure, before she flicked her attention towards the car seat, admiring the little girl who stirred gently in her sleep. “She’s a beautiful girl” she complimented gently.

“That’s all Alba” Lionel smiled dotingly as he collected the car seat, moving away from Alba slightly so that his mother and father could greet Isabella.

“I can’t believe she is yours” Calista quipped as she watched Lionel walk away “Alba, you’re a mama” she added.

Alba, who’d been watching after Lionel too, startled a little, flicking her attention back to her sister. “I am” she confirmed softly “And you’re an aunt” she added.

Calista scoffed and shook her head. “I would have put money on me having a baby first a few months ago” she pointed out.

Alba smiled. “I would have done too” she agreed softly “But then things with Leo happened and now Isabella is here” she enthused.

Calista nodded. “She really is beautiful, Alba” she mused gently.

“Gracias” Alba smiled.

Calista offered her a brief smile before she ducked her head, tugging at a loose thread on her shirt. “Have you thought about calling mama and papa to tell them about Isabella?” she posed quietly. She didn’t want to ruin the moment, meeting Isabella for the first time was something she had been counting down the days until since she had gotten the news that her sister was pregnant, but it was the elephant in the room, something she didn’t want to skirt around.

Alba, who’d been watching as Lionel fussed over Isabella, sighed. “Do we have to talk about that now?” she posed softly.

“No” Calista noted, shaking her head softly “But you should think about it. I know that you’re hurting, Alba, and I don’t blame you, but they’re still Isabella’s grandparents” she pointed out gently.

Alba offered her a little look before Lionel moved into the seat beside her, pulling her attention away from her sister who moved to fuss over her new niece.

Lionel watched Calista go before he flicked his attention to Alba, a small frown on his face. “Are you OK?” he posed softly.

Alba nodded. “I’m fine” she noted gently “Just a little tired” she lied gently.

Lionel offered her dubious look, but didn’t push the issue, not wanting to upset her. “You can go and rest” he noted gently “I can keep an eye on Isabella” he added.

Alba offered him a small smile and kissed his cheek before she stepped out of the room, her sister’s words on her mind.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comment :)