‹ Prequel: Hope in the Rain

Autumnal Equinox

Tragedy

Cool wind flew through the room, waking me up. I opened my eyes. Pendragon was still asleep on the window sill. Behind me, Logan was breathing steadily, his strong arms wrapped around my bare waist. I smiled as I remembered the night before. I tried to get up but his arms tightened in his sleep. I giggled quietly and managed to get out of his arms.

I stood and wrapped myself in a silk bathrobe. I went into the washroom to rinse my face and wake myself up a little more. I brushed my hair, trying to get the knots out. I wasn’t paying attention and jumped when Logan put his chin on my shoulder. I turned and smiled at him.

He pecked me on the lips.

“Can I tell you a secret?” he whispered and I nodded. “I love you.”

“You do?” I breathed and he nodded, holding my hands. He was in a bathrobe, too. “I love you, too.”

“Good,” he said after kissing me, his hand in my hair. “Because you’re stuck with me.”

I giggled.

-

After dressing, we went down for breakfast. All the parents were already eating.

“There are the love birds,” my father said, beaming as Logan helped me into bed.

“Sorry we slept so late,” I said.

“You probably had a late night,” Harriet said and I turned bright red.

“Mother, not appropriate,” Logan mumbled and she rolled her eyes.

“It’s only natural.”

Pendragon hissed a little and I quickly stuffed a piece of bread in his mouth to shut him up. We were half way through breakfast when a guard came running in.

“Your Majesties,” he panted. There was blood dripping from his face. “We’re under attack.”

I gasped and Logan grabbed my hand. “Come on,” he said, “to our safe room.”

“But who is it?” I asked.

My question was answered.

“Come on out, my dear!” Rorick’s voice echoed through the hall.

My blood ran cold. “It’s Rorick,” I gasped.

Logan tugged me and we ran out of the dining room. The sounds of the battle covered the sounds of our feet as we rushed. We entered the kitchens and we went through the same door Pendragon had gone through. Logan pulled me down the hallway and I looked behind me to make sure everyone was still with us.

“Where is the safe room?” I asked, looking at the many doors.

“Please don’t judge us,” Harriet said and we running through another door.

I nearly fainted. We were in the torture room Pendragon had seen. I tried not to look around at the gruesome sight and Logan held me, covering my eyes. Another door opened and we all piled into the room.

“Close the door and lock it tight,” Logan said.

I was trembling in his arms and he held tightly to me. That’s when I realized what was missing.

“Where’s Pendragon?” I gasped.

The safe room was small; there was barely enough room for all of us. Above me, I heard a roar and then a yelp.

“Pendragon!” I screamed and ran for the door.

“No, you can’t go!” Logan said, grabbing me around the waist.

“Let me go, Logan!” I cried. “I have to get to Pendragon! I can’t let him-”

He clamped his hand over my mouth. We could hear footsteps in the room in front of us. I shook.

“Just a torture room,” I heard Rorick say in disgust. “This queen’s depravity knows no bounds. And to think people actually believe her husband was killed by a dragon.”

“Is the safe room in here?” another person asked.

“No. She wouldn’t want her precious son to see such a sight. Come on. They’re not here. Let’s check upstairs.”

“And the pocket dragon?”

Rorick scoffed. “He’s dead finally.”

I fell to my knees, my sobs muffled behind Logan’s hand. When all was silent, I ripped myself out of his arms and pushed the door open. I couldn’t believe it. I wouldn’t. Not my Pendragon.

I heard Logan whisper-yelling my name but I ignored him, tears streaming down my face. I came out in the kitchen and looked around desperately. That’s when I saw his body on the floor on the other side. A choked sob escaped my throat and I crawled over to him.

“Pendragon?” I whispered, lifting him in my arms. His side was covered in blood. He wasn’t breathing. “Come on, Pen. You’ve got to wake up. It-It’s me, your mother.” I gulped, my tears knowing no end. “You have to stay alive,” I sobbed, holding his body to my chest. “We’re together forever, remember? I promised you nothing would come between us.”

“Autumn,” Logan whispered, his hand on my shoulder. “Autumn, you can’t. There’s nothing that can be- Autumn! Stop it!”

I pushed past him, Pendragon still cradled in my arm. I ran into the main hall, my chest heaving as my eyes scanned the castle. A guard lay unconscious in front of me and I grabbed his sword. I remembered Rorick say he was going upstairs and I took the stairs two at a time. My parents were screaming from me but I didn’t care. I was going to make that man pay for killing my Pen.

“Oh, my dear Autumn,” a cruel voice said behind me and I spun on the spot. Rorick was standing there, his sword held lazily in his hand. “Are you crying over your dear little pet?”

I put Pen’s body on the floor gently, my eyes burning in anger.

“You’re going to regret the day you were born!” I screamed at him and went running at him, my sword raised.

His blade met mine and he pushed, making me stumble. I ignored all of my senses and continued slashing at him. I didn’t care how he was still alive anymore. I only cared about bringing justice.
Rorick was starting to get tired of blocking my swings and his humored face became annoyed.

“Stop this, Autumn,” he snarled. “Accept your death.”

“You accept yours first,” I spat and took his lapse of judgment to drive the sword through his stomach.

His eyes widened as he fell to the floor. I pulled the sword out just as everyone turned into the hallway. I stood above Rorick, my sword covered in his blood.

“This time I’ll make sure you’re really dead!” I screamed and raised my sword, seeing red as it came sweeping through the air.

But it was blocked by another blade. It was my father. He looked sad and took my sword.

“No, Autumn,” he whispered. “Don’t do this.”

“You can’t just let him live!” I cried.

Rorick fell onto his hands. “Just let her do it, Zeke. Let her know what it’s like to take another person’s life.”

My father glared at Rorick and drove the sword through his stomach again. Rorick screamed in pain. My lips were trembling as I stepped back. I tripped over something and fell to my butt heavily. I heard Rorick yelling something but my eyes only focused on one thing and that was the small body of my beloved Pendragon.

I crawled over to him, sobs ripping through my body.

“Autumn, you’re bleeding,” my mother said in a shaking voice, putting her hands on me.

“Get off of me!” I screamed, shoving her away.

“Please, Autumn,” Logan begged. “He’s gone.”

“Don’t say that!” He knelt beside me and tried to get me up but I slapped him hard. “Just leave me!” I sobbed, curling into a ball beside Pendragon. “Leave me.”