‹ Prequel: Hope in the Rain

Autumnal Equinox

Good News

The night was cold. Winter was coming and I pulled my cloak tighter around my body. Logan helped me over the wall and I waited until he joined me on the other side. He held my hand as we walked through the trees. We were both dressed in black. I had considered bringing some flowers but the flowers he really loved were all around him.

When we got to the glade, we stood hand-in-hand, waiting for the flowers to bloom. As they did, the mound of dirt started to move.

“Logan,” I breathed, grasping his arm tightly.

We approached it slowly as the dirt continued to shift. I got on my knees and reached out just as a red and black wing broke through. I cried out as a long tail followed. Slowly, Pendragon crawled out of the ground. He hadn’t noticed us. He shook the dirt off his body.

Where am I? Where is Mother?

“I’m right here, Pen,” I choked out.

He turned and I threw myself into him. I cried as I held him close to me, unbelievably happy as he squirmed.

You are embarrassing me, Mother. What is wrong?

“You don’t remember?” Logan asked.

He had been crying, too, as he knelt beside us. I finally let go of Pendragon and he shook his head.

The last thing I remember is your wedding. I sobbed into my hands. Mother, what is wrong?

Logan wrapped his arm around me and beckoned for Pendragon to come over. He perched himself on top of my knees, his head tilted. While Logan explained everything, I tried to stop crying.

I died? I nodded, still not able to talk. But, if I died, then how am I alive again?

I looked around and remembered what Logan had said long ago.

“It was the glade,” I breathed and they both stared at me. “Logan, you said the golden glow is the flower’s inner life, the scent its breath. The glade somehow knew and it brought you back to us.”

Pendragon jumped on my chest and licked my face.

“Come,” Logan said finally. “I know a few people who will be happy to see you.”

What will you name it?

I frowned at him as we walked. “Name what?”

Pendragon stared but just flew ahead, leading the way. I felt weak at the knees and I leaned into Logan for support. I couldn’t believe I was watching Pendragon fly again. We climbed the wall and Logan went in before me to gather our parents.

“We have something to show you,” he said and nodded for me to come in.

“Pendragon!” my mother screamed and ran over to him. With a shaking hand, she ran her finger down the dragon’s neck and he purred. “But… but how?”

“It’s a miracle,” I whispered and Logan squeezed me.

--

I was elated to have Pendragon back. He spent the next week hounding us with details about his death.

“Why are you making me relive this?” I sighed, brushing my hair. “Wasn’t having to live through it once enough?”

I just find it so fascinating.

I shook my head. “Well, I’m glad one of us does.”

Suddenly, my stomach lurched and I ran to the washroom. Pendragon followed, gliding silently as I threw up into the chamber pot. Pendragon pulled the rope for me so that the servants knew I needed them. I sighed and wiped the sweat from my face.

“Oh, Pen,” I said as the servants brought me water and took the chamber pot away. “I wish I knew why I was so sick. We’ve checked everything. At first we thought it was grief but now….”

Logan came running in. “Are you okay? I heard the servants talking about how you were sick again.”

I nodded and he helped me to my feet and to the bed.

“Yes.”

Logan sighed heavily. “I wish there was something that I could do.”

You truly do not know what is wrong, Mother?

We both looked at him.

“What do you mean, Pen?” Logan asked.

Pendragon flew over and landed on my lap. He extended his neck to rest his head on my stomach.

You are pregnant, Mother.

My jaw dropped as the dragon began to purr. I stared at Logan who looked just as shocked as I was.

“Pregnant?” he repeated.

Yes. I can tell you the sex if you would like.

I put my hands on either side of my stomach and just then noticed there was a slight bump. I looked over at Logan, a little afraid. He was staring at my stomach, too. I couldn’t read the expression on his face.

“Say something,” I whispered.

“I don’t know what to say,” he said. “I… I mean, we’re going to have a baby.”

He chuckled weakly and kissed me.

“Who do we tell first?” I asked.

He looked out the window. “Well, dinner will be soon. We’ll announce it there. Let’s get dressed.”

Pendragon helped me into my evening gown and, before he could get away, I put a lingering kiss on the top of his head.

“You have no idea how happy I am that you are here,” I whispered to the dragon and he rubbed his head against my chin.

I love you, Mother.

“I love you, too. Let’s go tell everyone about your future sibling.”

He perched on my shoulder and I welcomed the heavy weight. As we walked down the hallway, Logan put his arm around my waist. I was nervous and wrung my hands in front of me. It wasn’t my parents I was worried about. It was Queen Harriet.

Did she really want me dead? Had it all been just a nightmare? Queen Harriet was acting as if the conversation never happened….

“Logan?” I asked as we descended the stairs.

“Yes, my love?”

“Do you remember me having an argument with your mother?” I asked and he frowned.

“No. Why?”

“No reason,” I said quickly but let out a sigh of relief.

It must have just been a nightmare. Logan helped me into my chair and I passed a roll to Pendragon. I didn’t care what anyone said now. I was going to feed him at the table for the rest of his life.

“So, we have some news,” I said when we were all done eating.

The queen groaned. “If this is about Pendragon again-”

“It’s not,” Logan interrupted, glaring at his mother.

“So what’s the news?” my father asked and I took a deep breath.

Logan held my hand under the table and nodded.

In unison, we said, “We’re pregnant.”

Queen Harriet dropped her goblet. It fell to the floor, wine spreading along the marble. A servant hurried over to clean up the mess. My parents had their mouths open and I tried to smile.

“Oh, this is great!” my mother cried and hurried over the table to hug me.

I laughed and hugged her back, tears of happiness in my eyes. My father hugged me, too, then shook Logan’s hand. Logan and I turned to Harriet, grinning. Her mouth was opening and closing, eyes darting between the two of us.

My smile faded as she stood and stormed out of the dining hall. My shoulders fell as Logan ran after her.

“Hey,” my mother said, putting her hands on my shoulders. “Don’t let her get to you. This is fabulous news.”

I grinned and hugged her tightly.

-

Logan didn’t get back to our room for a long time. I was in bed, nervously braiding my hair, while Pendragon sat at the foot of the bed. When the door finally opened, Logan walked in looking exhausted. He sighed and, without bothering to change, he sat beside me. He took my hands in his and swallowed thickly.

“You and I are leaving,” he said and I laughed.

“You’re joking, right?”

He shook his head grimly. “I can’t live in a palace with that woman.”

“What happened?” I asked, aghast at his words.

He placed his hand on my stomach. He was shaking with rage.

“She wants us to kill it.”

I fainted.