‹ Prequel: Hope in the Rain

Autumnal Equinox

Escape

Wake up, Mother.

“Come on, Autumn. You need to wake up, sweetheart.”

My eyes blinked open. I was still in bed. Pendragon was using his wings to flap cool air on my face while Logan dabbed me with a cool wet rag. His eyes were red and my parents were in the room. I looked around in confusion.

“Did I fall asleep?” I murmured but Logan shook his head.

“You fainted. We’ve packed everything.”

“Packed?” I repeated then it all came flooding back. I sat up and swayed. Logan put his hand on my back to steady me and I grabbed his other hand. “Please tell me it isn’t true! Please tell me she wasn’t serious!”

“I am.”

We all jumped to see Harriet in the doorway. Logan placed himself between me and her. She was carrying a dagger and my parents also stood between us.

“But why?” I cried. “Why would you want to kill it?”

“It’s wonderful timing,” Harriet said coldly. “You see, Rorick wasn’t supposed to die. At least, not by your hands. If I offer them an unborn child, I will truly gain their boon.”

“What are you talking about?” Logan demanded.

“I am old, Logan,” she said. “I don’t know about you, but I don’t wish to die.”

“You’re speaking of The Garnets, aren’t you?” I gasped and she grinned wickedly.

“So you’ve heard of them. They can grant me eternal life.”

“I won’t let you,” Logan said firmly.

“Nor will I,” my parents said in unison.

“I figured you’d say that,” she said and snapped her fingers. At least ten guards entered the room. “They are trying to overthrow me,” she lied. “Arrest them.”

Pendragon hissed and grabbed my wrists with his front claws. With his back claws, he kicked the window open and suddenly I was flying through the air. I screamed in surprise as he did his best to keep us airborne. Almost directly below us was a carriage. He lowered me there and I climbed in.

“What about everyone else?” I cried.

Do not worry, Mother.

“Please be careful!” I yelled as he flew back up.

I looked around and saw a pile of hay and an idea came to me. The coachman was staring at me, shocked at my descent and I pulled him off the seat.

“Help me move this hay,” I ordered.

“Why?” he asked.

“Just do it!”

He hurried to do as he ordered. I could hear yelling coming from the bedroom above and soon Pendragon emerged with my mother. He let her fall gently on the carriage just as the coachman and I finished piling the hay.

“Tell them to jump!” I yelled to Pen and he nodded once.

I stumbled back as my father jumped from the window. He landed painfully in the hay but quickly scrambled out so that Logan could follow. I waited anxiously. A jet of flame suddenly shot out the window followed by screams. Logan came flying out the window, followed by Pen.

“Everyone in!” Logan yelled and we scrambled to the carriage.

“Hyah!” the coachman said and flicked the reins.

I looked out the window to see the queen standing angrily in the window. I was panting and turned to Logan.

“Are you hurt?” I asked, looking him over.

“Just a few scratches,” he said. “Pen really saved us in there.”

“What are we going to do now?” I asked my parents.

“We’ll go back home,” my father said. He ripped his sleeve and pressed the fabric against a scratch on his arm. “As for Queen Harriet, we’re sending royal warrants to each kingdom.”

“Can you do that?” I asked and he nodded.

Logan leaned back in the bench, eyes closed.

“You lied to me,” I snapped, seeing the blood on his stomach that he was trying to stop.

I tore a strip off the bottom of my skirts and pushed it up against his stomach.

“It looks worse than it really is,” he assured me but he was pale and he put his head on my shoulder.

It didn’t take him long to fall asleep. I held his hand tightly, ignoring the fact that my hands were covered in his blood. We rode in silence, all of us shocked by what had just happened. I stared out the window at the passing scenery. I knew Queen Harriet was strange but I never expected this to happen. Logan whimpered in his sleep and I caressed his cheek with my hand. I couldn’t imagine what he was feeling right now.

Four hours later, we pulled up to the palace and I woke Logan up.

“We’re here, my love,” I whispered and he blinked a few times.

“Did I sleep the whole ride?”

“Yes. Come on. I want you to lie down.”

He hadn’t lost much blood but I knew that he wasn’t experiencing just physical wounds. I helped him up the stairs, Pendragon opening doors for us with his tail. The servants weren’t expecting my parents just yet, much less me. They stared in shock as I practically carried Logan to my room.

I looked around and took a deep breath. I was glad to be in familiar surroundings; I just wish it wasn’t under these circumstances. I helped him into bed and took his bloody shirt off. My old lady-in-waiting, Lydia, came running in.

“I thought- Oh my. What happened!?”

“Lydia, I need you to go to Gerard’s old room and get some of his clothes for me,” I said in a firm voice. “Then bring me some water, please. I need to wash and so does my husband.”

She nodded, staring at Logan with wide eyes. Logan held my hand.

“You should be resting, too,” he said and tried to sit up.

“Lie down,” I said, pushing him gently. “Let me take care of you.”

Lydia returned shortly with the clothes and water. Pen went into the washroom and heated the water. The servants brought in another tub for me. Logan stripped down and I helped him get in the water. He sighed, relaxing. I did the same, running water and soap through my hair. I closed my eyes, trying to pretend nothing had happened.

“Autumn?” he whispered and I opened my eyes again. “Thank you.”

I smiled gently. “We’ll get your bandages once you’re out,” I said, getting out and drying off.

He was staring at my body with a mischievous smile and I rolled my eyes, smiling, and wrapped my robe around my body. I gathered the bandages another servant had brought in and wrapped his wound when he got out of the water. I then gave him some of Gerard’s clothing.

“You’re about the same size as he is, thank goodness,” I said, helping him put a shirt on. “These will do until we can figure out a more permanent solution.”

He took my hand and pulled me close to him. He kissed me deeply and I returned it, standing on my toes to make our heads level. I ran hand my hand down past his bandage and to the waistband of his pants. I was feeling an incredibly tugging in my stomach and I wanted to pull him to the bed. He put his hands on my hips and pulled my lower half to his. I heard Pendragon fly out through the window.

His lips traveled to my neck and I sighed in pleasure as he sucked on my collarbone. I ran my hand through his hair and he pressed me gently to the post of the bed. His lips came back to mine and I hooked my arms around his neck. I could feel his desire as he lifted me, wrapping my legs around his waist. We landed gently on the bed and I moaned as his hands lingered on my breasts.

“I don’t think we should go any further,” he panted into my ear.

“I know,” I said in frustration.

He rolled off me and I felt bad. My mother said that, when a man was aroused, it hurt. I straddled him and he looked at me confused. I kissed his neck and pulled his pants off.

“Autumn,” he moaned as I ran my hand down.

“Just relax,” I whispered into his ear. “I won’t leave you in pain.”

He closed his eyes and let out a small sigh. I kept my lips on his neck, kissing ever so gently.

“I love you,” he groaned when I was done.

“I love you, too,” I whispered. “Now let us sleep.”
♠ ♠ ♠
More tomorrow. :)