‹ Prequel: Hope in the Rain

Autumnal Equinox

Royal Messenger

I woke up to the sound of loud snoring. I turned on my side and saw a very entertaining sight. Logan was sprawled on his stomach. His arm was draped across my side and his legs were spread, one hanging over the edge of the bed. He was drooling on his pillow and his hair stuck to the side of his face.

Giggling quietly, I wiped his hair off his face. He snorted and woke up.

“Good morning,” I smiled and he blinked.

“What time is it?” he asked, rubbing his eyes. “Oh dear,” he added, seeing how he was lying down. “Sorry. I hope you I didn’t push you off.”

“It was a near miss,” I joked.

He put his head on the pillow again and sighed. “Do we have to get out of bed?”

I shook my head and he pulled me over to him. “No. Let’s just stay here.” I looked over my shoulder where Pendragon was cleaning his claws. “Hey, Pen? Can you bring us some food and find a way to let my parents know we’re taking the day to ourselves?”

Of course, Mother and Father.

He flew out the window and Logan stared after him, a weird look on his face.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, caressing his cheek.

“He called me Father….”

“Well, you are my husband now,” I said.

He placed his hand on my stomach. “Soon, someone else will be calling me Father.”

I blushed and placed my hand on his. I kissed him deeply and he pushed me onto my back. He ran his hand down my stomach and I shuddered under his touch. I tugged at his shirt.

“Pendragon will be back soon,” he breathed.

“I don’t care,” I said, my breath heaving and I took his shirt off.

“We’ll have to be quick,” he said and finally gave in.

I pulled my nightgown off and he immediately began to kiss my neck and down to my collarbone. I moaned quietly as he slipped his trousers off. He positioned himself and moved into me carefully. I arched my back, running my nails up and down his back. He moaned my name and I wrapped a leg around his waist.

He moved faster and I gripped his shoulders tightly, my nails piercing his skin. I couldn’t control my moans as I moved my body with his. He pressed his lips to mine, moaning loudly as he climaxed. When he realized I hadn’t, he slid his hand down my stomach.

I gasped sharply. “What are you doing?” I panted.

He kissed my neck gently. “Taking care of you like you did for me.”

My eyes shut as pleasure ripped through my body. I cried out as my body shook. He collapsed on top of me, both of us breathing heavily. He kissed me and I sighed into his lips. He rolled over and pulled the covers up and over us. I snuggled into him just as Pendragon flew through the window with a platter.

Your parents say it is okay. They are sending out the warrants now.

“Thank you, Pen,” I said, pushing the sweaty hair out of my face.

The dragon looked incredibly uncomfortable and he curled on his bed, his back facing us. I giggled quietly.

Oh, shush, Mother.

Logan laughed and fed me a grape.

-

The next day we left the bedroom mostly because my mother needed to speak with me about the pregnancy.

“I hope it’s good news,” I said, holding Logan’s hand tightly.

“I’m sure it is,” he assured me. He kissed my forehead. “I’m going to practice fencing with your father. Let me know when you’re out.”

“I will,” I promised and smiled as he walked down the stairs. My mother was waiting for me in her bedroom and I sat on her bed with her. “Is everything okay?”

She nodded, holding my hand. “Yes, everything’s fine. I just wanted to let you know what to expect for the next nine months.”

“Nine months?” I repeated and she nodded again. “That’s a long time….”

“It gives the infant what it needs to come out healthy,” she told me.

We were talking for almost two hours. I had a lot of questions and she was more than willing to answer them for me. I was excited but scared at the same time. I didn’t know what it was like to have a child, much less give birth to one.

“Will it hurt?” I asked at one point and she smiled.

“I’m afraid it will. But I’ll be here and so will Logan.”

Mother, someone is coming.

I looked at Pendragon, shocked at the tone of his voice.

“Who is it? Someone’s coming,” I told my mother when she looked at me curiously.

Pendragon flew to the door and listened carefully. He sighed.

It is a messenger. This is not good.

I hurried to my feet and jogged down the stairs, my mother close behind me. When we got to the foyer, a man was on his feet, my father pressing a sword to the back of his neck. I gaped as Logan pulled me and my mother behind him. I then saw the colors and insignia of Logan’s kingdom on the messenger’s uniform.

“What are you doing here?” my father asked in a cold voice.

“Please don’t kill me, your Highness,” the man whimpered.

“You led her to us, didn’t you?”

“No. I swear.” He was visibly shaking. “I came on my own.”

“Why?”

“We were in the throne room,” the man began, his voice slightly muffled, “when a group of women walked in. They seemed to glide instead of walk. They had long, dark, red hair and were very tall.”

“The Garnets,” I murmured and the man nodded until he felt my father’s blade and he froze again.

“Yes. They were furious that Queen Harriet didn’t have the infant like she had promised. They made a new deal.”

“What kind of deal?”

“Your kingdom for her immortality,” the messenger answered. “She plans to declare war on you and, when she conquers, she plans to make The Garnets the rulers.”

“Never,” I snarled. “She will never get our kingdom!”

“When does she plan on attacking?” my father demanded.

“As soon as Princess Autumn’s baby is born,” he answered and my knees gave out on me.

My mother caught me before I could hit the floor. I could tell my father wanted nothing more than to drive the sword through the man’s neck. I couldn’t stand it, though, and turned my head into my mother’s neck.

“Zeke,” my mother said quietly, “don’t.”

“As you wish, Hope,” my father said coldly. “Take this man to the dungeons until we know what to do with him.”

I turned around again. Two guards were leading the man out and my father sheathed his sword. He pressed his lips together and ran a hand through his hair.

“Summon my generals,” he said to another guard. “We need to make plans. We got lucky,” he told us. “If that messenger hadn’t come….”

“Are you sure we can trust what he said?” Logan asked. “He works for my mother.”

My father looked unsure. “I really don’t know,” he admitted. “But we need to be prepared just in case.”

“Mother, I need to go lie down,” I muttered. “I don’t feel so well.”

“I’ll take her,” Logan said and let me lean on him.

Will you be physically ill, Mother?

“I don’t think so, Pen,” I whispered. “But this is all too much for me.”

I will stay with her, Father.

We had reached our bedroom and Logan helped me into bed.

“Are you sure?” he asked the dragon and Pen nodded, curling on top of my stomach.

No one will hurt her. I will not let them.

Logan kissed me gently and ran a finger down Pendragon’s spine.

“I’m going to join your father in the war room,” he said. “He needs all the people he can get.”

“Okay,” I whispered and closed my eyes.

I turned on my side and Pendragon repositioned himself on my side. Someone had changed the sheets and they were warm. Pen began to sing my lullaby and I drifted slowly to sleep.