‹ Prequel: Hope in the Rain

Autumnal Equinox

Betrothed

Time to wake up. I groaned and turned on my stomach, covering my face with my pillows. It is your birthday. Time to get ready for the day!

“Nuh-uh,” I grumbled. “I’m staying in bed forever!”

Without warning, the blankets were torn from my body and I shivered but I didn’t get out of bed. I heard the flapping of wings and, suddenly, cold water drenched my body.

“Pen!” I screamed, sitting up and throwing a pillow at the dragon. “What was that for?”

The dragon flapped his wings, hovering a few feet off the floor. I told you to wake up, he answered and I could hear the smirk in his voice.

“You’re a rotten beast,” I snapped but got up anyway.

I grabbed a towel to dry off.

Do not forget. We are travelling today.

“Shouldn’t birthdays be celebrated at home?” I asked, batting my eyelashes at him.

Come now. Do not be that way. You know it was not my decision.

I rolled my eyes as he draped the red dress over my head. “Yes, well, it wasn’t my decision either.”

He settled on my right shoulder, wrapping his tail around the back of my neck, as I slipped on my shoes.

They just want what is best for you.

“Even Mother didn’t want to get married when she was my age,” I grumbled as I descended the stairs.

“Ah, you’re finally awake!” my father said, kissing my cheek and running a finger down Pen’s back. “Good morning, Pendragon.”

“He says good morning,” I related and my mother pulled me in a hug, nearly knocking the dragon off my shoulders. She ran her finger down his back as well, an act that had become very familiar for the two of them over the last three years. “He says hello, Queen Hope.”

“At least one of us is polite this morning.”

I scoffed. “You wouldn’t think so if you knew how he woke me.”

A servant was carrying two picnic baskets out to a carriage waiting for us.

“What about breakfast?” I asked.

“We’re eating on the way,” my mother said as my father helped both of us into the carriage. Pendragon dipped his head so it wouldn’t hit the top until I sat down. “Since someone woke up late, we don’t have much of a choice.”

I stuck my tongue out at her and she smiled, nudging my foot with hers. She and my father sat across from me and Pen curled up on the seat beside me.

“How long is the journey?” I asked, passing a piece of the bacon sandwich to Pen.

“Just four hours,” my mother answered and my mouth dropped open.

“Just?” I repeated. “That’s forever!”

“Oh, don’t be dramatic, Autumn,” my father said firmly, getting out some papers.

I rolled my eyes and my mother handed me the yarn for a scarf I was making for Pen. He didn’t necessarily need it but I thought it made him look cute. As if reading my thoughts, he hissed.

Absolutely not.

I smiled innocently at him. “What? Who said this was for you?”

I am not a fool, Mother.

I just laughed and looked up to see my mother staring at me.

“What is it?” I asked.

“I still don’t think I’ll ever get used to you being able to talk to him like that,” she answered. “It’s strange, hearing one half of a conversation.”

“I’ve offered to share,” I began but she shook her head quickly.

“No. That is between you and Pendragon unless he sees fit to share.”

Pen purred loudly and fluttered to her lap. My mother giggled.

See. She would never force clothing on me.

“I wouldn’t be so sure of that,” I said, grinning as my mother slowly pulled out a little hat from her bag.

What do you- Hey!

My mother forced the hat onto his head, quickly tying the string under it. I laughed as he flew around the carriage, shaking his head frantically to get it off. My mother was laughing, too, but my father just looked annoyed as he moved closer to the window for some light. Finally, Pen managed to get the hat off. I was still chortling as he glanced at my father.

He dug around in my bag until he found one of the rods I used to hold my thread. I tilted my head, interested, as he put the hat on top of it.

Help me out.

“What are you doing?” I asked but tied the hat’s string tight like he wanted.

He breathed out fire onto the hat and flew onto my father’s shoulder, holding the makeshift candle carefully.

“Oh! Why thank you, Pen.”

I snorted. “He says anything to get rid of the hat.”

“That’s okay,” my mother said. “I can always make another one.”

We all laughed and I went back to knitting my scarf. The carriage bumped occasionally on the road and I glanced out the window every so often. About halfway through, my mother put her own knitting down.

“We need to discuss what will happen when we get there,” she said and I sighed, taking the hint to put my knitting away.

“Thank you, Pen, I’m done,” my father said and the dragon wrapped his tail around it to extinguish the flame.

Pendragon flew into my lap, sensing my discomfort, and I rested my hand on his side.

“When we arrive, we will be taken to our rooms,” she began. “Then you will be introduced to their son.”

“Why bother?” I muttered, looking out the window. “You’ve already arranged the marriage.”

My mother sighed heavily and took my hand. I tried to take it away.

“I know you’re unhappy,” she said softly.

“When you were my age you weren’t interested in marriage,” I said, glaring at her and she glanced at my father.

“You know that’s different,” my father said, looking at me sternly.

I scoffed. “Maybe I’ll meet a prince in disguise, too,” I said sarcastically and immediately regretted it at the look on my mother’s face. “I’m sorry,” I said quickly. “I didn’t mean it.”

My mother sighed again. “Autumn, we only want what’s best for you.”

“It feels like you’re trying to get rid of me,” I mumbled, wiping a tear away.

“Of course we’re not!” my father said quickly, taking my other hand and Pen fluttered back to the seat. “Do you know what will happen if you don’t marry?”

“Why don’t you change that stupid rule?” I asked.

“I tried.” He snorted. “You should have seen the uprising that came from it.”

I continued to cry and my mother hugged me. I understood their decision but I couldn’t help but stop myself from feeling like they wanted me gone. I had never even met my betrothed. What if I didn’t like him? What if he didn’t like me? What if he and Pendragon didn’t like each other?

“He does know about Pen, right?” I asked.

My parents nodded. “And he knows you’re inseparable,” my father added, his eyes twinkling.

I forced a smile on my face and looked back out the window. I had inherited my mother’s auburn hair but I had my father’s bright green eyes. From what I understood, it was a good combination with my pale complexion.

All too soon, the carriage pulled to a halt. I clicked my tongue twice and Pendragon flew back onto my shoulders. My father descended first, greeting the people waiting for us. Then my mother left. I swallowed thickly and Pen dug his claws gently into my shoulder.

It will be okay.

“If you say,” I whispered and took my father’s hand when it came through the door.

A loud gasp emitted from in front of me. I looked up to see two people standing before me. One was a woman about my mother’s age but her black hair was starting to turn grey. She had blue eyes. Beside her was who I could only guess was my future husband. He had black hair and golden eyes. His eyes were unreadable, though, as he studied me.

“So this is the dragon,” the woman breathed.

“This is Pen,” I confirmed and he lifted his head. “His full name is Pendragon.”

“Like Arthur.”

His voice was soft and deep and made me shiver a little.

“Yes,” I said in surprise.

“I am Queen Harriet,” the woman said and I curtsied. “This is my son, Prince Logan.”

He bowed deeply.

“It is a pleasure to meet you,” I said politely.

“The pleasure is all mine,” he returned.

Harriet grinned. “Logan, why don’t you show our lovely guest the castle while I visit with King Zeke and Queen Hope?” she asked.

“I would be honored.”

He offered me his arm and I swallowed, accepting it. He was on my left. I wasn’t sure if it was because he was afraid of Pen or if it was just more convenient. Regardless, Pen suddenly switched shoulders, startling Logan.

Tell him that if he hurts you, I will burn him to a crisp.

“I will do no such thing,” I hissed and Pen let out a strange huffing noise.

“Are you talking to him?” he asked and I nodded.

“When a dragon imprints on a human, they create a bond.”

“That’s quite fascinating.”

“Pen,” I snapped. “Give him some space.”

Not until you tell him what I said. I rolled my eyes and grabbed his tail and tugged. Put me down!

I smirked, letting him dangle next to me. “I think you owe Prince Logan an apology.”

Logan was watching with an amused smile on his face. I yelped when Pen bit my hand gently.

Fine. I will give him space./i]

I smiled in satisfaction. “Please forgive him,” I said to Logan. “His manners are in need of improving.”

“Oh, I think it’s wonderful,” he assured me and I smiled a little.