‹ Prequel: Hope in the Rain

Autumnal Equinox

Jealous

The next morning, Logan and I were summoned to the ballroom. Harriet was standing in the middle, directing people carrying tables. It was then I realized the wedding was just three days away. When she saw us, she grinned.

“Perfect,” she said. “We have some more things to go over.”

Logan groaned and she glared at him. “More plans? Haven’t we exhausted all the planning by now?”

“You must pick your wedding song,” she said and pushed down into two seats.

She gestured for a group of musicians to come in front of us. We both sighed in unison as paper was thrust into our hands. We were to make notes on each composition, compare, and then make a decision. Unfortunately, Harriet also had paper.

When the final song was performed, Logan moved closer to go over his notes and mine.

“Excuse me,” Harriet said somewhat coldly and I jumped. She waved her paper in the air. “I have notes as well.”

“Of course, Mother,” Logan said smoothly. “Please forgive me. I get so forgetful sometimes.”

She beamed and joined us. I was impressed at how easily he had assuaged her anger. Then again, he had lived with her his whole life. As we let her join in with us, I was dismayed to find her notes varied completely with ours. Logan and I had already agreed on the third song but she fought with us.

“Mother, we’ve been at this for two hours,” Logan said through clenched teeth. “We like the third one.”

“But the fifth is so much more romantic,” she pressed.

“I thought the third one was beautiful and perfectly romantic,” I said and blanched when she glared at me.

“No. The third one is for people who are in love, you silly girl. You two are not in love.”

“Mother,” Logan snapped but I stood up, throwing the paper on the floor.

I stormed out. Now I knew what Logan had meant when he spoke of an act she put on. I wasn’t sure where I was going but I threw the main doors open. A guard tried to stop me but Pendragon growled at him and he let me go.

Mother, where are you going?

“I don’t know,” I snapped, slipping through the gates.

Perhaps you should calm down.

“Don’t tell me what to do, Pendragon.”

My apologies.

I ran to the horse stable but the result was unfortunate. The horses were spooked by Pendragon and I ran out. But we weren’t well received at the gardens either. I then flew back to the back of the castle and to the fountain Pen had fallen into. I sat down heavily and put my head in my hands.

Mother, it is okay. Listen not to that woman. She speaks without thought.

“I just don’t understand, Pen. No matter where I go, no one seems to accept me. Harriet doesn’t, the horses don’t, the staff don’t….”

Pen snuggled his head against my neck, purring to comfort me.

You are fine just the way you are.

“Not even at our own castle were people accepting of me,” I whispered. “Michelle was the only person who I could-”

I began to cry and covered my face with my hands. Pen licked my face and sang softly in my ear. I sniffed, trying to compose myself.

“Pendragon is right,” a soft voice said. I didn’t look up. “You don’t need anyone’s approval.” Logan sighed and sat beside me. “I am sorry about my mother.”

“Is she very mad?” I asked, taking his offered handkerchief and wiping my eyes with it.

“A little,” he nodded, “but she’ll get over it. If it makes you feel any better, we’ll be dancing to the third song.” I laughed a little and he took my hand. “When she and my father were married, they were not in love. In fact, they hated one another. That all changed when I was born. I think she’s jealous that you and I are so close before we’ve even been wed.”

I leaned against him and he hesitated before wrapping his arm around my waist. We sat, listening to the bubbling of the fountain and Pendragon’s song.

--

Queen Harriet didn’t speak to me at dinner that night. My parents noticed the tension but didn’t say anything. I ate in silence while Logan made forced conversation with his mother.

“So, two more days,” my father said and I managed a smile. “Are you two excited?”

We both nodded and Logan nudged my foot under the table. I nudged it back and finished my meal. As normal, he walked me to my bedchamber.

“Sleep well,” he said and kissed me lightly on the lips. “And I’m sorry again for my mother’s behavior.”

“Good night,” I whispered and went into my room.

I closed and locked the windows. Ever since we learned it was Rorick, I had an increasing sense of unease. I got into bed and Pen curled up on the pillow beside me, his new spot. I hadn’t told the queen about the pillow and, after today, I didn’t plan on it. She had done a complete turn-around at the music playing today; it was almost horrifying.

Tomorrow will be better.

My eyes drifted shut. “I hope you’re right, Pen.”

--

A shattering window woke me and I sat up straight, my eyes darting around the black room. My heart was hammering and I looked around for Pen, my mind dreading the worst. I stumbled out of bed when I couldn’t find him and ran to my window.

Damn it!

I peered down and saw him sprawled on the ground.

“Pen? What in the world are you doing?”

He managed to get upright and flew up to my window. He came through with a bouquet of flowers and he thrust them at me.

Why did you close the windows again?

I tried not to laugh. “It got cold. Besides, you know how worried I am.” He grumbled under his breath. “Thank you for the flowers.”

I thought they might cheer you up.

I sniffed them. “And you were right. Why were you out there so late?”

I could not sleep.

“Why?”

He stared at me as if I should already know.

You are not the only one nervous about the wedding.

“What do you mean?” I asked, sitting on the bed and he jumped onto my lap.

You will not need me anymore.

“That is far from the truth!” I cried, throwing the flowers to the side and lifting him so that he faced me. “I will always need you, Pendragon. You will always be my little hatchling, no matter what happens.”

But now Logan will be here all the time. You will not desire my company.

I giggled, finally understanding. “Pendragon, are you jealous?”

The dragon sniffed haughtily. Dragons do not get jealous, Mother.

I giggled again and kissed the top of his head. “Nothing could ever come between us, Pendragon.”

Do you promise?

“I promise.”

He purred and we got back into bed. I closed my eyes as he curled up against my stomach.