Sequel: Until Forever Comes
Status: In Progress.

I Like the Remix

You Can Always Count on Me

By the time Friday came around, Raelyn was ready for a change in activities. As much fun as she was having with Zack… She couldn’t help but notice he seemed a little off. Every time she tried to ask him about it, he would change the subject. She leaned back against the couch for a moment before jumping up when she heard a knock. She opened the door and was greeted with a hug around her legs from Evann. “Hey, how are you guys?”

“Good! Thank you so much for taking him for the night.” Charlotte spoke first as she handed over the bag. “We owe you one.”

Raelyn chuckled. “No worries… I’ll hold you to it. Have a nice anniversary.” She smiled gently. After a moment she reached forward and managed to free her legs from the small child. “Evann, you want to watch a movie?”

He nodded excitedly before hugging his parents. “Bye Momma. Bye daddy.” He then ran over to the couch and jumped on it. “What are we going to watch?” His eyes lit up in excitement as Raelyn turned back to his parents.

After a quick hug from Tuck and Charlotte, and quick goodbyes, she headed back to the couch. “I dunno, what do you want to watch?” She brushed a couple of loose strands of hair behind her ear. She watched as he walked over to the bookshelf that held all of the DVDs and Blu-rays. After looking over them for awhile he ended up choosing The Lion King.

She watched him grab it from the shelf and walk over to the blu-ray player and put it in. Raelyn headed to the kitchen to make some popcorn and grabbed a bottle of water for herself and a juice box for Evann. When she glanced back towards the living room, his eyes were glued to the television. Her phone rang and she grabbed it before it could distract Evann. “Hey Grandma, what’s up?”

“Raelyn, darling… I have a huge favor to ask. Your mother promised she would have these books out of here by now… And they’re still sitting here.” Her tone gave away that she was annoyed and at her wits end.

“I’m sorry about that. You know she doesn’t care about remembering things like that.” Raelyn sighed softly as the microwave went off. She took the bag out and dumped the popcorn into a bowl.

“I was hoping you could help me out by coming to get it and dropping it off for me.” Raelyn grimaced at the thought. She really didn’t want to deal with her mother at all. But much like her mother, her grandmother was good with guilt trips. They usually began with her age and how she was going to die soon… And ended with making the other person feel like they didn’t care at all. Sometimes she would even bring in her dead husband to make them really feel bad.

“Yeah I guess I could do that for you. But I’m babysitting so you’re going to have to give me an hour or two. We just put in a movie.” Raelyn answered, hoping her own annoyance wasn’t heard in her voice. “I’ll see you later grandma.” With that said, she hung up before the woman could request anything else from her. She grabbed the drinks and popcorn from the counter and headed into the living room where the movie was at the scene with Nala and Simba scheming on how to get away from Zazu and get to the elephant graveyard. “I have movie snacks… And then after this I have an errand to run so maybe we can get lunch and ice cream after I’m done.”

Evann looked up at her with a big smile on his face as he accepted the juice box from her. “That sounds awesome!”
Zacky sighed into his pillow as his mind went back to the conversation that came nearly a week ago. He had tried to accuse Meaghan of lying… But it was all starting to make sense. She hadn’t bothered him in awhile, but it was probably because she wanted to make sure she could corner him the way she had. He closed his eyes… and heard her comments all over again.

“Always in a hurry. That’s what led to this mess. Maybe if you had been more careful... We could have avoided this.”

Zacky raised an eyebrow at her… Completely confused. “What the fuck are you talking about?”

“The last time we slept together. We weren’t exactly…” She paused and he watched as her cheeks heated up from the memory. “Careful.”

Zacky frowned in thought. After a moment, his eyes were wide. “You aren’t actually trying to tell me that you’re-” Before he could finish his sentence she spoke.

“Pregnant. Yeah that kind of happens sometimes when the girl isn’t on the pill and the guy doesn’t use a condom.” She stated sarcastically.

Zacky rolled his eyes at her words before taking her in again. “It’s been so long… Surely you would be…” He tried to think of the right wording for it. “Heavier by now…”

Meaghan rolled her eyes at his comment. “There is a more polite way to say that you know.” She pulled at her baggy t-shirt and revealed her growing stomach. “And I am showing… I’m just being careful about it… Wouldn’t want TMZ to know before you did… Right?” She asked, a snarky tone in her voice.

“You’re lying. It’s not mine.” Zacky whispered, grasping at any possibility that wouldn’t have him at fault for the issue at hand.

Meaghan let out a quiet breath as she dropped the hem of her t-shirt. “Look, I may be a bitch… But I am not a whore. I don’t sleep around… I haven’t slept with anyone since we broke up… And I wasn’t cheating on you. It’s yours whether you’re ready for this or not. I just thought I would let you know before you got too cozy with your little girlfriend there… I don’t know many women that enjoy hearing about their boyfriend’s baby mommas…” She shrugged and flipped her platinum blonde hair out of her face. A serious look coming to her brown eyes. “I wanted you to know because I plan on keeping it. Raelyn is going to find out one way or another… But you deserved to know. Because your life is going to change.” With that said, she leaned forward and kissed his cheek before turning back to her car and leaving. It had taken Zack a couple of minutes to realize she was gone before heading back into his house to find Raelyn waiting in the kitchen.


How was he even supposed to tell her? ‘Oh by the way… I knocked up my exgirlfriend. So she’s going to be a part of our lives for as long as we have a relationship.’ Yeah, that would go over well. He rubbed at his temples and groaned out in frustration. He had been drinking himself into a stupor just to fall asleep at night… And the hangovers were not making his life any easier.

Would Raelyn take it well? Or would she tell him to go fuck himself and slam the door in his face. Meaghan was right about one thing…His life was going to change. And he was hoping Raelyn would still want to be a part of it. His phone went off and when he checked it, the message had him from nervously wondering if Raelyn would stay with him after finding out his ex was pregnant, to being completely enraged that Meaghan was letting him know that she was telling his parents tonight.
Raelyn had gathered the box of books, stupid romance novels by the likes of Nora Roberts and J.D. Robb. They were sitting in the backseat behind the driver’s seat… Evann was sitting behind the passenger seat as she headed for her family home. She pulled into the driveway and heaved a sigh. The last thing she wanted to do was talk with her mom. Hopefully her mother would leave her alone since she was babysitting… She hoped. “Alright, a quick stop and then lunch. Okay?” She asked as she turned off the engine and glanced back at Evann.

“‘Kay.” He mumbled as he went to hop out of the car. Raelyn got out and grabbed the box of books, using her knee to close the car door behind her. He ran up to the front door and knocked a few times in rapid succession as she followed slowly.

Within minutes her mother opened the door, laughter spilling from her mouth at something said in the other room. “Oh, Raelyn, what are you doing here?” She looked surprised. “And who on Earth would entrust you with a small child?”

Raelyn rolled her eyes at her mother before pushing past her to drop the box on the floor of the foyer. The thud had her mother raising her eyebrow. “Grandma didn’t call you? She told me to drop these off for her. And yes, people trust me to watch their children.” She stated angrily. Evann slipped past her mother and stood next to her.

“Looks like you have him trained like a dog…” Her mother stated with a slight frown.

“Jenna, are you coming back in here? Or should we leave?” Came the voice of Maria Baker. Raelyn tilted her head slightly curious. She watched her mom glance over her shoulder.

“I’ll be right there. Raelyn, can you bring those books into the dining room for me. That way you can say hello.” Her mother stated with a smile. Raelyn rolled her eyes but picked up the box regardless.

“Fine. But we have to go after that.” She told her mother quickly. Raelyn leaned down to pick up the box and headed towards the dining room following behind her mother. Evann followed behind her quietly as he glanced around the house.

The sight that greeted Raelyn when she walked in was not something she was expecting. Zacky’s mom was smiling excitedly as she spoke with Meaghan who was wearing a tight tank top that didn’t do much to conceal the baby bump she’d been hiding when she came to visit Zacky a few days ago. The box slid right out of Raelyn’s hands and onto the floor bringing both women's attention to her.

“Isn’t this great? I’m going to get a grandbaby!” Maria stated excitedly. “I’m so happy for you and Zacky,” She told Meaghan as she turned and took Meaghan’s hand into her own. “He’s coming to dinner tonight… You should stay and congratulate him!” Maria told her as she turned to look at Raelyn with hopeful green eyes.

Raelyn swallowed the lump that had formed in her throat. When she glanced towards Meaghan, there was a smug smirk on her face. “I am actually babysitting… So I’m going to have to take a raincheck. Thank you though.” She told her politely, resorting to her business smile because she knew if she tried for a real smile they’d see right through it. “Come on Evann, I do believe I promised you lunch and then some ice cream.”

Evann cheered excitedly before running up to her and grabbing her hand. “Come on, Rae! Ice cream!”

Raelyn laughed. “Lunch first, buddy.” She stepped around the fallen box and let him lead her out of the room. “Bye, Mom.” She called quickly before heading back to her car and making sure Evann was buckled in. “McDonald’s sound good?” She asked him quietly once she had the car started and couldn’t hide her true feelings anymore.

“Yeah!” He cheered. With that said, she headed for the nearest McDonald's as her mind raced.
A few hours later, Raelyn was sitting on the couch as Evann watched another Disney movie. She wasn’t paying any attention to it as her mind raced. Was she faking it? Was it even his kid? Why wouldn’t he tell her? She shook her head to try and clear it as her text tone went off. She grabbed it quickly recalling a message from Zacky in the morning saying he was going to come over that night. Instead she had received a message from Tori saying not to wait up for her, she was going out to dinner with Brian and may not even make it home.

She rolled her eyes and headed for the fridge to grab a beer. When she walked back to the couch, Evann glanced up at her and tilted his head. “Are you okay?”

“I will be. Don’t worry about me, kiddo. How are your parents doing?” She asked trying to distract him as she sipped at the beer.

“They are happy a lot. Daddy says it’s thanks to you that they get to be so happy. He called you selfish though…” Evann stated with a slight frown. “Isn’t that kind of mean?”

“Did he maybe say selfless?” Raelyn asked with a small laugh at his mix up. “I mean… Maybe he did call me selfish… I can be at times.”

Evann shook his head. “It was the first one. What does that mean anyways?”

Raelyn took a deep breath as she thought about that. What did it mean to be selfless? “It means you put other people’s needs above your own.” She met Evann’s eyes and noticed he still seemed confused. “You know how police officers are willing to risk their lives to save yours? It’s kind of like that.”

Evann’s eyes lit up. “Then why didn’t you become a police officer? You’d be great at it! Plus, you’d be really cool with all the different colors on your arms!” Raelyn rolled her eyes at the thought of being stuck in a stuffy uniform and dealing with the drunk and disorderly.

“I don’t think I have the patience for that.” She admitted with a shrug before reaching over and ruffling his hair with her free hand. “But thank you, I love the fact that you think I’d make a good police officer.”

Evann smiled up at her brightly. She wondered if she had ever been as innocent and pure as he was coming across as. “Go pick another movie.” She told him as the ending credits began to roll. Her phone went off again right as he got to the bookcase. ‘Rae, me and the guys got caught up at the studio. I won’t be able to make it out there tonight. I’m sorry. -Z’

Raelyn’s grip tightened around the beer bottle as she read his lie. She knew damn well where he was thanks to the run in with his mother… She turned off her cell phone and tossed it down on an end table before plastering a fake smile on her face when Evann came back and held up another movie, Big Fat Liar. “This one!”

“Sure, go put it in. I’ll see if I can find a treat for us.” She told him softly as she drained the rest of her beer and headed back for the kitchen. After taking a shot of tequila, she went back to the fridge and pulled out some ice cream. After getting two bowls ready and grabbing spoons, she headed back into the living room. “Let’s get to it.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So, Raelyn's mother is obviously wrong... Evann is still in one piece by the end of this chapter. And tsk tsk tsk... Zacky lied to her... How big a mistake do you think that's going to be? Anyways, this is one of the last chapters... If I'm thinking right (I have the last ones typed out), there are two more chapters after this. As always, thank you for reading and let me know what you think. I'll try to post the next chapter by Thursday since it's my birthday and I won't really feel like posting after that while I celebrate.

Once again, special shout out to Liera_Fufu. I really do like reading comments that have people considering all the possibilities of what might happen next.

Anyways, like I said before, thanks for reading and I hope you guys enjoy the ending. As I said, I am working on the sequel... But nothing's going to be posted about it until I have a title for it.