Sequel: Until Forever Comes
Status: In Progress.

I Like the Remix

Everything's About to Change

Victoria Thompson had seen a lot of things in her time. And she thought she knew Raelyn well. But apparently she didn’t know her best friend well enough… When she returned home from work, she saw a sight she wasn’t expecting. Raelyn was packing a suitcase with music blasting in the background. There was a bottle of tequila sitting nearby with no shot glass in sight. “Rae?” She called out confused. When the brunette didn’t look up from her suitcase, she resorted to shouting. “Raelyn!”

When Raelyn looked up, a dark look crossed her features. She walked over to the stereo to turn the music off. “What?” She crossed her arms over her chest and waited for Tori to speak. When she didn’t say anything, Raelyn rolled her eyes and headed back to the suitcase and picked up the tequila.

Tori frowned in confusion as Raelyn took a sip. “Why do you sound angry? Are you going on vacation or something?” She watched as Raelyn put the bottle down hard and turned to face her.

“Oh, I don’t know.” Raelyn paused and gestured with her hand. “Maybe the fact that my best friend hasn’t told me that she is moving out on me. And no. I’m not going on vacation. I’m taking the modeling job in London.”

Tori bit her lip nervously. “I was going to tell you. I just didn’t know how… And we kept missing each other.” She rubbed at the back of her neck. “You know I wouldn’t just move out without saying anything. I didn’t think you’d mind that much… I mean you and Zacky are happy right?”

Raelyn pinched the bridge of her nose, trying to ease the tension. “No. Zacky and I are through and I am finally done doing things for other people. I am going to London for me. I’m done being selfless.” She announced as she went back to packing.

“No one is calling you selfish, Rae. But aren’t you just running away?” Tori questioned.

Raelyn glared at Tori. “I’m not running. I’m doing this for me. If I had it my way, I would’ve moved to New York after college.” She shook her head. “Deep down I know I should have never trusted Zacky, but I expected better from you.” She told her softly.

Tori sighed, “I’m sorry! I didn’t mean it that way. Look, if this is really something you need to do, I respect you for it. But what are you going to do about our lease? I’m still going to pay my half even though I’m moving in with Brian.”

“I have it covered with the landlord, my rent is paid for the year I’ll be gone. Look, I know it may seem like I’m running… But in all actuality, I wanted to take this job… It will be good for my career and I was going to turn it down for a guy who has already made a name for himself. I need to do this for me. I always wanted to study abroad… This is going to be amazing. I love you and will miss you, Tori. But please, please don’t tell me not to go.” Raelyn sighed as she took her friend’s hand in both of hers.

Tori smiled sadly, “I understand. Just promise me you’ll keep in touch with me.”

“I promise.” Raelyn said as she hugged Tori tightly to avoid letting the redhead see her cry.
Zacky sat on his couch with his head in his hands as he contemplated everything. Yes, it would be easier to just go with Meaghan’s twisted story and he would avoid the scolding from his mom… But there were no feelings with her anymore. Yes, he would be there for her and the baby but he didn’t want to be with her in a romantic relationship. Coming to that conclusion, he realized he was being completely stupid and needed to go try and apologize. He jumped up and grabbed his phone and tried calling Raelyn, frowning when it went straight to voicemail.

He tried texting her a couple of times. When he didn’t get a response he made the decision to go to her apartment and try to talk to her face to face. He got hopeful when his phone started ringing as he got to his Escalade. Zack was quickly disappointed when Meaghan’s face flashed across his screen and hit the ignore button before getting in the car and heading out to Long Beach to try and salvage his relationship.

A twenty minute drive later, he was relieved to see her car sitting in the parking spot. He parked in a visitor’s spot far enough in the lot to avoid her seeing his car through the window and headed for the door. He took a deep breath and swallowed nervously before knocking on the door twice. When no one came to the door, he started to get frustrated. “Come on, Raelyn! I’m sorry. Can’t we just talk it out?” He stepped back in confusion when one of the models he had seen in some of her pictures answered the door. “Where’s Raelyn… This is her apartment.” He muttered as he glanced over at the door to the next apartment over to be sure.

The blonde woman looked him up and down and shrugged. “She told me I could stay in her place while she’s away on a job. Her rent is paid for through the next year while she’s in London.” The girl shrugged again. “What did you say your name was again?”

“She’s going to London?” Zacky tilted his head in confusion. “My name’s Zacky.”

She raised an eyebrow. “Ah, the momma’s boy that knocked up the ex. Yeah. She mentioned you. And yeah, she’s there for a year long job! I’m so jealous!” She laughed with a shake of her head.

Zacky frowned. “A whole year?”

The nameless blonde nodded again. “Is something wrong? This is a really good thing for her career.” Zacky swallowed and gave a forced smile.

After giving a quick wave, he backed away from the open door. “I should get going. Thanks for the info.” He headed back towards his car and once he was safely in the confines of it, he put his head in his hands. She was gone, and hadn’t said a thing to him. He wondered for a moment if Tori had known. Looking down at his phone that he had left in the cup holder, he rolled his eyes at Meaghan’s request to come over and talk.
By the time Meaghan had shown up, he was pretty buzzed. The first thing he had done when he came home was grab the bottle of Jack Daniels he had in the cabinet. When he opened the door and walked away, she took that as an invitation and stepped inside, closing the door behind her. He was talking on the phone with someone about whether or not they knew ‘she’ was leaving. “Tha’s bullshit!” He slurred angrily. “She tells you ev’rything. Well fuck you too!” He hung up and threw his cell phone across the room before grabbing the nearly empty bottle and downing what was left in it.

“Zacky, what are you doing?” She asked him curiously as her right hand came down to rest on her stomach. “Who were you talking to?”

He looked up at her and shrugged. “Drinking. Its the only good thin’ going on for me right now…” He looked down at the empty bottle and let out a sigh. “Wha’s it matter to you?”

Meaghan walked over and took his hands in hers. “Zacky, we’re having a baby together. I care about your happiness. And obviously something is bothering you, or you wouldn’t be drunk at…” She glanced over at a clock and winced. “Three in the afternoon.”

“‘M not drunk.” He argued as he crossed his arms over his chest. “Jus’ buzzed.”

Meaghan raised an eyebrow. “How full was the bottle of Jack before you started drinking?”

“Almost full.” He admitted, slightly seeing her point in his inebriated state. “She left.” Zacky slouching down onto the couch. “I never got to say sorry.”

“Who, Zack?” Meaghan asked as she walked over and took a seat next to him. “Who left?”

“Raelyn. She never ev’n said she was goin’.”

Meaghan glanced down at her lap to hide the small smile on her face. “I’m sorry, Zacky. But you know,” She looked up at him, a serious look on her face. “If she really cared about you, she would have told you about it. She would have tried harder to make it work.” The blonde brushed a few stray strands of hair behind her. “Sure, everything’s about to change… And it would have been hard… But she didn’t even want to try from the sound of it.”

Zacky looked up at her, his brow furrowing as he thought about what she was saying. “I love you, Zacky, and I don’t want to see you hurting over this. But I also want you to realize, people make it work every day. She didn’t even want to try. She didn’t really love you, Zack.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right.” He mumbled, a gloomy look on his face. She watched as he got to his feet and headed to his kitchen. She let out a soft sigh when he returned with a beer in hand.

“I promise I won’t leave you.” She stood up and hugged him tightly, and smiled into his shoulder as he returned the hug with one arm.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the end. Raelyn left for London and Meaghan is comforting Zacky. I have the summary and everything thought out for the sequel. I will post the first chapter/prologue soon. Thank you for reading and all of the comments. I really didn't expect this to turn into much... So I surprised myself thanks to the motivation I got from realizing that more than just a few people wanted to read it. So once again, thank you!