Status: Hoping to upload a chapter every Saturday, a little weekend treat :)

Getting Surreal

XXXXVII

“Becks, I swear to fucking God, if you ask me one more time,” Frank said, turning around to face his friend and pointing a not-so-menacing finger at her.

Becks stood there for a moment, looking nothing but sheepish, glancing between her friend’s face that was expressing a strange combination of impatience and caring and his pointer finger. Sighing, she dropped her hand (which she had raised the moment before Frank had gone off on her in a gesture of ‘I have something to say’) and gave a slow nod, much to the relief of Frank.

“Thank you,” he said, also dropping his hand, his posture relaxing.
“Yeah, no problem,” he heard Becks reply as he noted a loose thread on his sweater and started fiddling with it. “It’s just – “

Frank’s eyes snapped up to meet Becks’, almost daring her as he saw the wicked smirk spread across her lips.

“Are you sure you’re sure?” She asked him, the second half of the question coming out in a scream as Frank all but tackled her, ignoring the sandwich and chips in her hands and wrestling her to the ground.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry!” Becks shouted out between hard giggles. Frank had managed to pin her down and was attacking her in tickles to the ribs. “It’s just, fuck…the look on your face!”

“Oh! Funny, was it?” Frank exclaimed, finding a sweet spot that had Becks squirming desperately to get away from him. “Was it worth it now, punk?” He let up a little so she could breathe to respond to him and watched as she turned her head to look him dead in the eye.

“Totally.”

She said it with such defiance that Frank loosened his grip just a little in shock and she was able to wriggle away from him.

“Aw, hell no,” Frank shouted, coming to grips with himself and lunging after his friend who was crawling away, landing completely flat on top of her, leaving the two of them laying on the kitchen floor.

“Fraaaank,” Becks whined, her cheek pressed firmly against the cool linoleum. “Lemme uuuuup.”

“Uh-uh,” he responded, shaking his head in between her shoulder blades, which is where he’d managed to land. “Only on one condition.”

Becks made a large huff at his words, her sharp intake of breath causing him to rise up and down a few inches and he had to fight to not start laughing then and there.

“Fine.” She droned. “What.”

“You have to promise to never ask me if it’s okay for you to stay here ever again. Because we’re friends, and that’s what friends do.”

There was a long moment of silence before Becks finally responded. “Fine.” She said shortly.

“Fine?”

“Yes, fine. Now get off me, fatty. I can’t breathe.”

“Oh, fuck off!” But Frank was already getting off her and standing up, dusting himself as he waited for Becks to follow suit. When she didn’t, he reached down a hand and called her name.

“Oh,” she said quietly, looking up and taking his hand, grateful for the assistance. They stood for a moment, looking at each other before Frank pulled her into a tight hug, catching his friend by surprise.

“You’re not imposing, okay?” He told her into her shoulder. “I want you here. You’re my best friend.”

Becks didn’t know how to respond. It was rare that Frank was ever sincere, and she didn’t think she’d ever heard him be so open, so quiet…so heartfelt. It hit her like a wave and she was suddenly blinking back tears that came from nowhere as she gripped him tight.

It was a solid three minutes that they stood there, in Frank’s kitchen, holding onto each other in the middle of Becks’ wasted sandwich and chips. When she finally opened her eyes (she’d screwed them shut to prevent any tears falling), they landed on a stray piece of lettuce on the floor that had once held place in what was supposed to have been her lunch.

“Uh, Frank?” She asked almost shyly.

“Hm?”

“Um…can we get pizza for dinner?”

Frank withdrew from her and looked from her face to the floor strewn with food and laughed. “Fuck. Yeah, pizza.”

The pair spent the rest of the night just lounging around the house together, drinking all the ‘welcome home’ beer Frank had bought and eating pizza they’d ordered in, and Becks felt like maybe, just maybe, she really fucking loved her life, anxiety and stress about the future be damned.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sooo sorry it's so short, guys! I've had a crazy week and didn't get much writing time.

Hope you enjoyed, though! I love writing Becks and Frank together.

:)